Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus - worldwide breaking news, discussion, stats, updates and more

A continuation of that decoupling picture is what we'd hope to see this time, but in terms of the data for this new potential wave its too early to see quite how that will actually turn out in detail. That doesnt mean I'm expecting it to be bad, just that I keep an open mind until the data actually arrives.

A vague glimpse at some of the politics there at the moment, raising fears in an understandable way that still doesnt give me clues about what will actually happen. And obviously there is a winter context and a weakened health system context:

“Are Gauteng hospitals ready for a 5th wave of Covid cases?” was the question posed on Monday by Jack Bloom, the Democratic Alliance (DA) Gauteng Shadow MEC for Health.

“Yesterday there were 1 727 new cases and 10 933 active Covid cases recorded in Gauteng, compared to 460 and 4 333 active cases a week before,” said Bloom.

“This is an alarming jump.

“At this stage, we do not know the severity of the Omicron sub-variant, which appears to be driving the new wave of cases, but hospitals can expect a flood of Covid patients in the next few weeks.”

Bloom said he was concerned that Gauteng Health Department “lacks effective leadership as Covid-19 cases are shooting up in a likely 5th wave as we approach the winter season”.

I'm not sure we'll ever get a much better estimate than that sort of thing, just one that evolves as more case accumulate over time.

For example they mention the gaping hole in stats for much of Africa, and I dont think there is a way to improve that substantially in terms of historical data.

Here is another article based on the same data, looking at things from a US angle:

According to a large-scale study in the US, omicron isn't milder than other variants, but its effect was milder because of vaccination.

(UNSW and others) An assessment of the COVID-19 burden in LMIC would suggest that IFR was around two times higher than in high income countries, largely due to disparity in healthcare access easily offsetting age demographic effect.
Infection fatality rate, IFR, with age for low-middle income countries compared to high income countries.
Results In most locations in developing countries, seroprevalence among older adults was similar to that of younger age cohorts, underscoring the limited capacity that these nations have to protect older age groups.

Age-specific IFRs were roughly 2 times higher than in high-income countries. The median value of the population IFR was about 0.5%, similar to that of high-income countries, because disparities in healthcare access were roughly offset by differences in population age structure.

Conclusion The burden of COVID-19 is far higher in developing countries than in high-income countries, reflecting a combination of elevated transmission to middle-aged and older adults as well as limited access to adequate healthcare. These results underscore the critical need to ensure medical equity to populations in developing countries through provision of vaccine doses and effective medications.
DOI:10.1136/bmjgh-2022-008477.

Are there any graphs as to what’s thought to be happening with COVID rates atm? I can’t picture it well just from numerical numbers.

There's been some early reports Wuhan is back in severe lockdown after only four cases were idenitfied.

I do wonder how long the political system in China will survive this endless ultra hard wack-mole-strategy...

Maybe Beijing will give up and then try to hide the infection numbers before a accepting reality....

Maybe the people realise it's all a show and fight back....

I doubt they will stick with that approach forever, they will probably be looking for a way out eventually. I'm guessing they will belatedly try to hit a certain level of vaccinations in the elderly and will then announce that they can start to shift policy as a result. But I dont have highly detailed and up to date vaccine stats for China and I've got no sense of the likely timing of this shift, or how slowly they will adjust their rhetoric in the next few years. And there is plenty of political risk in the meantime. Their extreme policies saved a large number of people from direct covid death, but it does look like they have fucked up the opportunity to transition to another approach at the most optimal time. Only further massive twists in the covid story elsewhere around the globe could force a big reevaluation of that opinion. Or if long term population health impacts from covid slowly reveal themselves to be a huge thing in the years ahead.

Was going to ask whether we know how many Chinese people have been vaccinated once/twice/three times but I broke the habit of a lifetime and did a quick search.

As of June 4, 2022, about 87 percent of people in China had been fully vaccinated against the coronavirus COVID-19.

With that many vaccinated Thesaint will doubtless be surprised half of them aren't dead by now :(

Need the version of that data that shows vaccination status by age group to get a useful picture. There has been some data about that in the past, but I'm not sure I've seen it in any regularly updated charts. Maybe they do exist and I just failed to stumble on them, I usually heard about such figures very sporadically as part of news articles. And in the past those numbers tended to reveal a big fuckup in terms of those most vulnerable due to age being woefully undervaccinated.

Japan had the most infections in the world last week. A country where everyone wears a mask in 35 degree heat, and STILL has a complete ban on individual foreign tourists.

It looks like Japan is finding out the same the many western countries did but just later on.i imagine with china's infamous spying capabilities they surely know from countries like ours the inevitable cases will eventually happen🤔
As elbows mentions they haven't a plan B ready - maybe the fooled themselves plan A worked.

But what happens the relationship between an oppressed people and their government once those people realise it's akin to the Wizard of Oz?

Wasn't quite sure where to put this, so apologies if it's not the right place, but I read this today and thought it was interesting and worth sharing -

Alina Chan's response to the paper in Science:

China still going with its batshit COVID policy, or rather a calculated encouragement of local governments to retain control measures in the run-up to Xi Jinping's 10-year rule extension

Here, a person who had been in contact with a COVID case had supposedly been to this Ikea at some point, so authorities tried to implement a sudden mass-detention of shoppers. This is pretty routine stuff nowadays in China:

Last edited:
China still going with its batshit COVID policy

I have discussed the risks of Chinas policy and their need to transition at some point before, so I wont repeat that all again right now.

I will briefly explore the theme of what counts as 'batshit' though, via an example of how this can still all be turned on its head if different framing and priorities are employed.

According to BBC articles such as the following one, 'The country has recorded fewer than 15,000 deaths since the pandemic began, according to Johns Hopkins University.'

Meanwhile, last weeks ONS data for England & Wales records 15,379 deaths caused by Covid in 2022 (and 23,222 deaths in 2022 if we use the broader definition 'deaths involving Covid-19'). Those figures are for deaths registered up to 29th July at the time of publication.

So just using those simplistic numbers we can see how an alternative view of what counts as batshit could easily be constructed by those still seeking to justify Chinas response to this virus.

Obviously the reality is more complicated and other forms of human misery and balance need to be taken into account. Clearly there is a lot of politics involved in all countries approaches, and the politics in China is not subtle and is easy to legitimately condemn. And clearly Chinas approach had some big downsides in terms of vaccine uptake in the most vulnerable age groups, which has caused them to stick out like a sore thumb long after the other handful of countries which were initially in a position to go for a 'zero covid' approach have felt able to transition to a different approach.

Plus even if we assume that China will eventually reach a point where politically and via vaccine-uptake levels they feel able to start to transition their policy, they will still have to navigate the the inevitable consequences of such a shift. Because if we look at what happened in regards deaths in Australia and New Zealand once they changed approach, we can see that even in a well vaccinated population there will be deaths, and if deaths had previously been effectively suppressed via very strong measures, the deaths since the switch will contrast sharply with the previous picture. Not that I view such surges and ongoing deaths as any sort of indication that the previous policies only delayed the inevitable or somehow werent worth it, far from it, its still permanently changed the magnitude of pandemic deaths in those countries, The following graphs are from the worldometer covid site.

Screenshot 2022-08-15 at 14.46.png
Screenshot 2022-08-15 at 14.47.png

If/when the times comes that China changes their approach, they could of course resort to suppression of data in order to downplay the results of such changes on the death picture, and it will be hard for us to judge whether they indulge in that sort of thing. So I cannot say whether we will eventually see those sorts of patterns in the graphs from China too.

China still going with its batshit COVID policy, or rather a calculated encouragement of local governments to retain control measures in the run-up to Xi Jinping's 10-year rule extension

Here, a person who had been in contact with a COVID case had supposedly been to this Ikea at some point, so authorities tried to implement a sudden mass-detention of shoppers. This is pretty routine stuff nowadays in China:

The stuff of nightmares - I'd panic and possibly built a battering ram out of Scandinavian furniture if I thought I was going to be locked down indefinitely in an Ikea.

Reactions: Sue
I guess being stuck in Ikea isn't the worst...afterall there's beds, settees, kitchens and meatballs - although everyone has to go in one direction to get between them 😏

In a more serious note the concept is still batshit crazy, as lockdowns and isolation work ok in the short term to reduce person to person contact but ultimately you end up in the same position at the end as you did when you started - so ultimately fail.

I suspect Beijing is saving face for now, but will have to endure the Oz or NZ experience at some point and must surely know it but the big risk is these heighten tensions with Taiwan as a distraction...

Back
Top Bottom