Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Have we had the 20A.EU1 variant which is said to account for 80% of new cases in the UK?

Free to read FT article here.

Non peer reviewed copy of the paper here.

Accidental reply!
Never leave a half written post about garden centres you decided was far too dull to post sat in the edit box...

I obsessively look at the interactive map every day. It's interesting that the Liverpool city region has been on a downward slope since going into Tier 3, but the same measures appear to have had no impact whatsoever on Greater Manchester or Lancashire. I know Liverpool went in first, but some improvements should have showed up by now.

I know it's a gamble and I know Wales has made some shit decisions in the past, but something they got absolutely right in the first lockdown, like limiting travel and reopening pubs on a gardens-only basis on Monday, rather then England's idiotic SOOOOPER SATURDAY reopening two weeks before.

This month is going to be a real test for some people suffering with their mental health, especially those living alone*

*raises hand
Did some work for a guy fairly recently who is the medical director for Bro Morgannwg Health Board. Nice guy. He reckons that a combination of fortuitous timing (national lockdown coming just before the wave really hit Wales) and government action in terms of the extra measures imposed by the Senedd saved a lot of lives. Claimed that if the Welsh figures were extrapolated across to England 25,000 fewer people would have died there in the first wave. Me, I don't know. Perhaps elbows would be able to give it a bit of a look?

I'm not going to attempt that sort of extrapolation. But to quickly add to that theme you can find some clues about the mortality rate in different parts Wales for the first wave, and a comment about how the rates everywhere in Wales were lower than England and all of the English regions apart from the South East and South West here:

The figures mentioned are for up till the end of July so first wave only.

I thought the report from Liverpool on the 10 O'clock news was really good - clearly explaining what the situation is, both what the problems are, and that although we still don't have as many people in hospital and on ventilators than at last peak, and treatment has improved, the NHS is trying to keep up the treatment of other conditions more than last time, and we are heading into winter - so it can get much, much worse unless something is done.

I thought the report from Liverpool on the 10 O'clock news was really good - clearly explaining what the situation is, both what the problems are, and that although we still don't have as many people in hospital and on ventilators than at last peak, and treatment has improved, the NHS is trying to keep up the treatment of other conditions more than last time, and we are heading into winter - so it can get much, much worse unless something is done.

This is the written version of that story.

My fear is this is not going to be a strong enough measure

lockdown works by restricting the interaction of the population , looking at what's been reported by the media

and the governments delay in relaying the information to the public

it just makes be believe the party is currently in the process of watering down the lockdown to keep the economy flowing

i myself think this policy will lead to the restrictions being in place longer

Last edited:
Yeah, I've been running round a field next to Newcastle Uni halls of residence, and it's extremely quiet - apart from a few middle aged dog walkers, there was one mushroom forager on Sunday, compared to the usual runners, cyclists, frisbee players, drone flyers, and people trailing back with shopping.

Anyone done any number crunching with March and April rates and lockdown reducing them back then, compared with where we are now and what we can expect the coming weeks in reduction of cases? Feels highly unrealistic to me that with where we are now and the restrictions we have about to start we can get the rates down in anything like the planned 4 weeks. Even if they are down surely in 4 weeks we'll be in still having high rates of hospitalisations and deaths still? Be interested to see the figures and timescale...
The first lockdown was a fairly clear contrast between normal (fully open) and then people stopping meeting in most areas of daily life, though a fair number of people still went to work. The comparison now is between a society that is still half heartedly social distancing and has varying levels of restrictions in place throughout the country, moving into something where the main difference will just be in pubs and non-essential shops closing. All the other aspects of the latest lockdown are perhaps a tightening on what we are already doing (in broad terms). So yeah, I don't see it doing much, particularly with schools and universities open.

Some very relative degree of good news in this piece ,which sounds reasonable

The UK’s second wave of coronavirus may not be worse than the first
Five reasons lockdown might be coming earlier in the virus’s cycle than in March and is likely to cause less economic pain

if you dont have a paywall bypass click on the first result here

In particular this looks promising
https%3A%2F%2Fd6c748xw2pzm8.cloudfront.net%2Fprod%2Ffb951b40-1d59-11eb-92e7-69bbb1964306-standard.png

Last edited:
Everyone's already out of work
yes...why i said
Some very relative degree of good news

Not convinced by anything quoting Heneghan tbh.
Theres nothing in that piece which rests on Heneghan - his name comes up in relation to the range of projections. That section isnt trying to convince of one truth, more show the landscape of projections

If your 'range of projections' includes a comment from someone who one month ago was claiming there's no evidence of a second wave, then I guess you can probably discount his end of the range.
have you read the piece? what bit of it are you disagreeing with?

The lockdown is too short to make any real difference. The government insists on keeping major channels of infection open in schools and universities. There is no reasonable track and trace system or a testing regime which would identify precisely the nodes of contagion. It's all grasping at straws in the dark while billions of pounds of taxpayers' money are spaffed into Johnson's mates' pockets. And we have yet to see how the virus really transmits in the cold. There'll be an extension. Because what else can they do, admit their utter incompetence?
Good summary.

The bit where they quote Carl Heneghan without mentioning he's a shameless hustler.

I did read the piece earlier, but none of it's really stuck in my mind enough to disagree with other than that guy.
The only mention he has in the article is not in any claims he is making now or has made, but as set up for a comment from Neil Ferguson. He's completely irrelevant in the statistical information being presented in the article

It was talking about how 'epidemiologists disagree' iirc he isn't one. I don't know about the rest of the article tho

At this point it's not even trying to reduce the virus, just keep ICUs from collapse. I saw the slug claimed that humanity has 'defeated every other infectious disease'. :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom