Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

I think its worth clarifying what rammed actually means here. The pubs round my way were all full (the ones that hadn't already closed or gone out of business) and most were not letting people in. They were full because they had much reduced table capacity, table service only and no standing. Maybe pubs elsewhere were not observing the rules but I suspect the vast majority were. I'm sure the press will be able to dig out a story of a community pub that had a lock in somewhere.

I know that doesn't sound as exciting as rammed and on this site we we can't use the word pubs without a prefix such as crowded or rammed (fuck knows where all these crowded pubs are because everyone I see is empty and going down the tubes) but given how scared some people are we do have a duty to try and be accurate with our words.

If pubs were actually rammed then that is terrible. If they had just reached capacity within the current framework of the rules than I don't actually think that its that bad. Less exciting obviously.
Apparently most were following the rules but I’ve seen a photo of at least one that really wasn’t...

I went to a couple of pubs last night. They were both pretty busy. As in most tables occupied. Table service, masks worn whengetting up to go to the loo. One pub only lets one person use the loo at a time. Was going to go to one in the city centre but suspected it would be full so stayed local. anyway, not carnage.

I’m confused too. I’ve been told to self-isolate cos of contact at work with someone who has COVID but I live with my 78 year old dad (though trying to keep my distance) and he’s ok to go out and do what he wants (within lockdown regulations). How does that make sense? (Not that I want him to be cooped up inside as well)

Yeah, it's already been answered, it's a mix of pragmatism and likely infection risk or the whole country would be isolating. But it does cause a bit of confusion.

If you had symptoms or tested +tive your dad would also have to isolate, but the contact is one chain link away from him currently.

If the +tive contact is A, and you are B, and your dad is C, and then say D is a contact of C, and > means contact then it works itself down the chain one by one if that makes sense.

A +tive or symptoms > B isolate > C not isolate > D not isolate > etc.
A +tive or symptoms > B +tive or symptoms > C isolate > D not isolate > etc.

Yeah, it's already been answered, it's a mix of pragmatism and likely infection risk or the whole country would be isolating. But it does cause a bit of confusion.

If you had symptoms or tested +tive your dad would also have to isolate, but the contact is one chain link away from him currently.

If the +tive contact is A, and you are B, and your dad is C, and then say D is a contact of C, and > means contact then it works itself down the chain one by one if that makes sense.

🤪

• Haha
Reactions: LDC
Not going out much myself. Certainly not for pubs or takeaway. There are a lot of cars on the road here though, far far more than Lockdown1.

Got the Jubilee line this morning from East to Central, it was much busier than I thought it would be.

Thankfully from tomorrow I’ll be back WFH 4 days a week and just the 1 day in the office.

My upstairs and downstairs neighbours both had lots of people round last night.

Yeah this is it. Almost certainly against the rules that were in place yesterday so the changing rules today are unlikely to make them that bothered.

the idea that there was anywhere in the country you were allowed to have people round yesterday sounds strange - it's not been legal here for months...

Yes it does seem odd that up until midnight you could still have a party of six people in your house in large parts of the country. Then again in a lot of places the idea of a lockdown now probably seems odd. My parents live in the forest of dean and there has hardly been any cases at all.

My upstairs and downstairs neighbours both had lots of people round last night.

My mean next door neighbour had most of her family over. It's against the rules. OTOH she genuinely does have pretty big mental health problems that might be lessened by seeing the grandkids once before the lockdown - and from my POV, the less mentally unwell she is, the better it is for me. They haven't been over loads of times - haven't been taking the piss in a big way.

I think what Orang Utan is asking about is whether/how he should protect his dad from possibly becoming infected by him, rather than whether his dad should isolate to prevent infection to others.

This is clearly an important question in general, how do we protect particularly vulnerable people we live with from infection risk if we are ourselves infectious?

You’re not supposed to get one if you don’t have symptoms

Or if you've potentially been exposed which it appears you have been. Regardless I think under your circumstances no one would think it unreasonable if you booked a test, quite the opposite in fact.

The rules are about stopping knobheads who want to get tested regularly so they can carry on life as normal and don't have to bother with all the other stuff.

You’re not supposed to get one if you don’t have symptoms
I would understand the sense in that if you hadn't been in contact with someone with a + test result, however given you have and you live with an elderly person with risk factors .....and there is plenty of evidence now of a% of people not displaying symptoms.....its what I would do in order to put my mind at rest.

Fuck me this lock down is working fast. At this rate we'll be down below 0.5 by 4pm.
With a warning note that they reported R falling to 1.1 in September and then rising again, a bit of a false dawn, that is a calculation taken over the two weeks to 1 November. The very latest figures show that it may have fallen below 1 now. It is consistent with the flattening of new cases over the last fortnight. (It also doesn't include care homes, and is for symptomatic covid only.)

Back
Top Bottom