Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Huge queue outside wagamama in Liverpool. At least 45 minute wait to be seated. Impending lockdown isn't putting off the locals :eek:

Nuts around my area this evening. Walking from the tube home all the shops, chicken shops, restaurants, barbers, supermarkets, the 2 pubs I pass - all packed, streets busy too, and with the fireworks going off everywhere it was like Mardi Gras.

Reactions: LDC
I looked at that voting list.

Mine voted for lockdown - but by proxy.

If he had voted against, or abstained, I was being sorely tempted to write and ask him if he liked murdering people's grannies ...

Which one? The chair? Greg Clark, voted for lockdown.

If you meant a different one you can see the list of committee members here, and as far as my quick check goes, the tory members all voted in favour of lockdown:

Thanks, it was Andrew Griffith, Tory MP for Arundel and South Downs. Wikipedia says his father died of the virus weirdly enough.

I’m confused too. I’ve been told to self-isolate cos of contact at work with someone who has COVID but I live with my 78 year old dad (though trying to keep my distance) and he’s ok to go out and do what he wants (within lockdown regulations). How does that make sense? (Not that I want him to be cooped up inside as well)

This had passed me by somehow, apparently new rules for secondary schools starting tomorrow:

Not somehow. The story is only 4 hours old and the US election is on. The clown car is just doing its shambolic thing again, giving no one any notice or the chance to act in time. :facepalm:

I’m confused too. I’ve been told to self-isolate cos of contact at work with someone who has COVID but I live with my 78 year old dad (though trying to keep my distance) and he’s ok to go out and do what he wants (within lockdown regulations). How does that make sense? (Not that I want him to be cooped up inside as well)
there has to be a balance - if you were positive yourself he'd have to isolate, but it's not practical to ask everyone living with someone who's isolating for contact reasons to isolated too .

there has to be a balance - if you were positive yourself he'd have to isolate, but it's not practical to ask everyone living with someone who's isolating for contact reasons to isolated too .
aye, I don't have any symptoms and my contact with the other person has been minimal - the only risk is we may have touched the same surfaces

This had passed me by somehow, apparently new rules for secondary schools starting tomorrow:

It seems absolutely wild that that is not already the case. Scottish kids have been doing this for more than two months already!

I took a walk around the neighbourhood around 9pm. The only pub that's still open is spoons (tier 3...) and they are selling all their real ale for 99p. Only a few tables were occupied.

Seems a reasonable idea but should have been made clearer to everyone. Daughter (Y8) already takes a mask to school since they went back, I'm guessing that means they wear them in the corridors already, I can't remember what they specified them for.

how many kids are going to turn up to school tomorrow not having heard the announcement? seems odd to announce in the middle of the week, and not say last Friday or over the weekend.

I don't know whether you know the Nag's Head, but they put out a plea to their regulars to drink the 1,500 pints they had left. They update Twitter every know and again. It looks like they are making good progress. :thumbs:

I know it very well. One of these days we should really have a Reading Urban meet up.

Food shops, supermarkets, garden centres and certain other retailers providing essential goods and services can remain open.

How the fuck are garden centres essential?

during the first lockdown a pub down the hill from here had some bags of compost and other bits in the beer garden, and a sign saying ‘Garden Centre’. They were also doing take-out beers :D

during the first lockdown a pub down the hill from here had some bags of compost and other bits in the beer garden, and a sign saying ‘Garden Centre’. They were also doing take-out beers :D
A pub near me sold fresh fruit and veg during the period when only food shops and pharmacies could be open. You could also buy a beer and sit on the kerb outside. Kind of funny but not really to be encouraged when the point is to try to protect people.

Report from friend who was daft enough to go to the pub tonight in town - he's struggled to find one that would let him in. Not because they're all shut, but because they're all utterly rammed :facepalm:

I think its worth clarifying what rammed actually means here. The pubs round my way were all full (the ones that hadn't already closed or gone out of business) and most were not letting people in. They were full because they had much reduced table capacity, table service only and no standing. Maybe pubs elsewhere were not observing the rules but I suspect the vast majority were. I'm sure the press will be able to dig out a story of a community pub that had a lock in somewhere.

I know that doesn't sound as exciting as rammed and on this site we we can't use the word pubs without a prefix such as crowded or rammed (fuck knows where all these crowded pubs are because everyone I see is empty and going down the tubes) but given how scared some people are we do have a duty to try and be accurate with our words.

If pubs were actually rammed then that is terrible. If they had just reached capacity within the current framework of the rules than I don't actually think that its that bad. Less exciting obviously.

Back
Top Bottom