Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

It's any 2 households/bubbles, no? Not that you can only have one other you can meet. Although you are still meant to socially distance inside.

So, you can meet 2 households indoors but it doesn’t have to be the same 2 households each time...is that correct?

I’ve been having 2 different relatives visit indoors one at a time but am now wondering if I could have met with other relatives indoors.

So, you can meet 2 households indoors but it doesn’t have to be the same 2 households each time...is that correct?

I’ve been having 2 different relatives visit indoors one at a time but am now wondering if I could have met with other relatives indoors.

2 households can meet at a time - you and one other. It doesn't have to be the same 2 each time though. So you've been doing it right as far as I understand it.

I suppose most people who have to quarantine will still be able to work from home anyway. Well those who have been working from home previously.

The raise an interesting question regarding the H&S liability of companies. Whilst its virtually impossible to say for definite where someone contracts covid there have been quite a few work based outbreaks already. Has anything happened in regard to those companies? I've not seen anything.
I am not sure that "most people who have to quarantine will still be able to work from home anyway". I do see that you have in mind office workers rather than nurses, shop staff, vets, butchers, bakers, and candlestick makers. But how about the office cleaners, the electricians, the computer maintenance, the filing assistants, the people who make the food for the in-house lunches, or the people who come along and fill up all the coffee machines? Receptionists, doormen, the people who come along and see to the damn flowers in the foyer? All of that. They cannot work from home. And some of my random examples are of very badly paid people - will companies treat them nicely?

They really do feel like they've been written by someone around 25 years old who is in their first big proper job in a fancy London office and thinks work and travelling to and from work is all just a super whizzy jolly time.

I hope they get the opportunity to reassess their work in 25 years time. I wonder how they will feel then about plastic plants and proper bants.

At least Grant Shapps doesn't have to worry about catching Coronavirus when flying to/from Spain in his private jet
It makes me laugh how there is often indignation about how much MPs are paid, when it's clear to anyone paying attention that many of them really don't need the paltry 70k or whatever it is a year - they're ridiculously independently wealthy already.

They really do feel like they've been written by someone around 25 years old who is in their first big proper job in a fancy London office and thinks work and travelling to and from work is all just a super whizzy jolly time.

I hope they get the opportunity to reassess their work in 25 years time. I wonder how they will feel then about plastic plants and proper bants.

'Fake Chinese rubber plants', even ....... ;)

Just for info; if it feels like the number of cases is rising...there's a reason for that:

View attachment 229056
Have you got the series for Covid deaths? I suspect they are much much less.

Then there is the issue of testing - our local test centre in Somerleyton Road SW9 seems part-time and barely used.
Scotland and possibly Wales seem to do more testing.

If they said Brixton was now under lock-down because of the numer of cases it wouldn't surprise me because of the brazen maskless shopping going on, not to mention (some) busy local hostelries.

But I would query what percentage of the population round here has been tested. 1%? 2%?
It doesn't help that GPs are on lock-down themselves refusing to see patients. What are they getting paid for?

Then there is the issue of testing - our local test centre in Somerleyton Road SW9 seems part-time and barely used.

If they said Brixton was now under lock-down because of the numer of cases it wouldn't surprise me because of the brazen maskless shopping going on, not to mention (some) busy local hostelries.

But I would query what percentage of the population round here has been tested. 1%? 2%?
It doesn't help that GPs are on lock-down themselves refusing to see patients. What are they getting paid for?

Because I reported my 99% definitely just a cold* symptoms to the tracker app they asked if I wanted a test. I'm sure it said it couldn't offer me a test locally (no car) so I'm having to do it by post which is annoying for boring logistical reasons that wouldn't be the case a couple of days ago. There was something on the news last night about londoners being offered testing centres over 100 miles away but I've never heard anything about london centres being busy or attended by anyone.

the two GP surgeries I know of are having phone appointments and some appointments in person. I've had both. I'm pretty sure yours is the same and that is what they are paid for.

* the most likely source of my cold I think would be one of the buses I boldly got bank holiday monday. this concerns me because if I can pick up the cold I can pick up covid.

Nobody is suggesting that deaths are anywhere near the level they were at during the first peak. Thats not the point of noting a rise in detected cases.

The foundation of surveillance and stopping such a huge wave of horror from getting going is to pay attention to number of cases.

Deaths are a laggy indicator. I'd look to hospital data before looking to those. Its an awkward time to analyse such hospital data too, since there are various signs that numbers in some places have bottomed out and care then has to be taken not to confuse small bumps along the bottom with a sustained rise. All the same, there are tentative signs that the situation is starting to change, but the numbers are too small for me to try to make a big deal out of. In Northern Ireland and Scotland I can point to an obvious increase in hospitalisations in recent weeks, but still talking about low numbers overall. Elsewhere there are sometimes small bumps which have real stories behind them, but again arent large and sustained enough for me to make a big deal of at this stage. I will be happy if I can still only report the same picture as this in a months time.

The number of deaths is widely reported and you're free to post it up if you want to. I happened to be posting about the number of cases.

the two GP surgeries I know of are having phone appointments and some appointments in person. I've had both. I'm pretty sure yours is the same and that is what they are paid for.
Mine had a PPG meeting on Wednesday (by Zoom). I attended that - though no medic did, only a senior receptionist.

But if for example you need a blood test form - routine, kidney, liver, thyroid, medication level etc it seems special arrangements need to be made (although they are not clear what).

I have for some years got the drift that the NHS is the modern equivalent of the mediaeval church.
They alone have the means of salvation - or damnation.

If we are going to have to practice NHS procedures contactless as it were, maybe the powers that be - Simon Stevens, Matt Hancock etc should consider a mediaeval innovation that at least allowed infected lepers etc to maintain contact with the sacrament:

A hagioscope (from Gr. άγιος, holy, and σκοπεῖν, to see) or squint is an architectural term denoting a small splayed opening or tunnel at seated eye-level, through an internal masonry dividing wall of a church in an oblique direction (south-east or north-east), giving worshippers a view of the altar and therefore of the elevation of the host.[1] Where a squint was made in an external wall so that lepers and other non-desirables could see the service without coming into contact with the rest of the populace, they are termed leper windows or lychnoscopes.

Then they can sit in their sugeries and pass out prescriptions and blood test forms without fear of catching our diseases.

Clearly this indicates the high regard we hold workers in Tescos, Lidl and Morrisons by the way. They still have to mix with the hoi polloi.

Back
Top Bottom