Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

From this Friday, organisers of illegal raves, unlicensed music events, or any other unlawful gathering of 30 people or more face fines of up to £10,000.
Suppose this shit at Trafalgar Square was all legal?

Also from that link -

West Yorkshire Police said eight people were fined £10,000 for holding parties in the Headingley and Burley areas of Leeds, including two DJs at a party. Equipment was also seized.

Meanwhile, police in Harlow in Essex seized thousands of pounds worth of equipment ahead of an unlicensed music event on Saturday afternoon.

Ch Insp Lewis Basford said the force would be "looking to identify the organiser and take them to court".

He added: "My final message is to the organisers: we will seize the equipment - I don't care if you've hired it from someone or if it's yours, we will break up your event, and we can now fine you up to £10,000."

But Metropolitan Police Federation chairman Ken Marsh said the legislation will mean "absolutely nothing" in terms of enforcement in London.

"People just set up a music box in the middle of the street and say 'it's not mine' - it's utter nonsense," he said.

Greece is currently exempt from the FCO advice against all but essential international travel & self isolating on return, but that could change soon.

A plane-load of passengers have been told they will all have to self-isolate after seven people on the flight tested positive for coronavirus.

Public Health Wales say anyone who was on TUI flight 6215 from Zante to Cardiff on August 25 must go into quarantine.

Those who travelled shouldn’t leave the house unless it is emergency. They should also get tested, if they develop symptoms. There have been at least seven confirmed cases of Covid-19 from three different parties who were on the plane.

August 27: The number of daily UK cases of coronavirus has risen to 1,522 in 24 hours - up from 1,048 on Wednesday - the highest tally since mid-June.
and rising.

In my town the behaviour in general indicates most people either dont care because they aren't in the high risk group or actually think its all over, speaking to a neighbour yesterday who stated "if I was going to get it I would have had it by now".
I'm in a small to medium sized semi-rural Town, I have heard that people are a bit more aware in the larger cities and taking things more seriously, Is this so?

This winter is going to be a test for us all

Cupid, this was of course inevitable and what to me is especially telling is that nobody has yet even mentioned stopping flight.
As ever we will be reactive and not proactive
We didnt get to be have the worst death rate in Europe and most of the world for nothing, we did everything right to earn that accolade.

Hurray for us

August 27: The number of daily UK cases of coronavirus has risen to 1,522 in 24 hours - up from 1,048 on Wednesday - the highest tally since mid-June.
and rising.

In my town the behaviour in general indicates most people either dont care because they aren't in the high risk group or actually think its all over, speaking to a neighbour yesterday who stated "if I was going to get it I would have had it by now".
I'm in a small to medium sized semi-rural Town, I have heard that people are a bit more aware in the larger cities and taking things more seriously, Is this so?

BIB - I think the picture is very variable, judging by various posts on here.

I am in Worthing, an urban borough of 110,000, people are still taking it very seriously, and we have a low inflection rate, I posted this at the weekend on the facemasks thread -

Whenever I see posts like this, I am shocked, it's as if I am living in a totally different world, it's just about 100% around here since it became mandatory - that includes supermarkets, local shops, a few other shops I've been in, and the bank. Also the same on the buses. People are largely still socially distancing too, even at level crossings, people queue around 2m apart.

Maybe this is helping to keep our inflection rate low, 0.3 cases per 100,000 in the last week, compared to the national average of almost 12, and north of 50 in areas where there's some sort of local lockdown.

In fact I saw my first and only mask-less person* in a small shop yesterday.

ETA - * except staff behind screens.

I've read a lot of information about covid not being so contagious in humid weather, because the droplets get heavier and don't travel so far. In qld we're just coming out of winter into what looks to be an extremely humid La Nina summer. So fingers crossed etc.
On top of that we also seem to have a pretty decent track and trace system Queensland Covid-19 hotspots: list of Brisbane and south-east Qld outbreak locations | Queensland | The Guardian

I'm concerned about my uk family, my dads 93 and facetimes me every day and he seems to be getting more and more confident. Like... If I haven't had it by now I'll be right etc... Not that he's doing anything more than riding out from London to the country side with a mask on. But I worry about him becoming complacent.

and rising.

Where I am - inner London, but working with people coming in from Kent, Essex, outer London, mostly younger - I'd the general feeling is a mixture between complacency & feeling like, yes winter will be pretty shit (covid & economically) but this summer has felt like a lull so make the best of it before it gets worse...

Outwardly, it may look like complacency but there's more to it than that. Most have nursery/ primary school aged children so we are all waiting for the sniffle season to begin.

The kabbess went in for an eye appointment at Moorfields yesterday. She went at rush hour (caught the 7:15 train). She said by the time it got to Waterloo, there were still only six people on her carriage. Normally, it would be nose-to-armpit by that point. And when you bear in mind that they’ve reduced the Waterloo service to one train an hour and eliminated the London Bridge services entirely, that only multiplies how much people are staying away.

One of my team members went in last week to the office (which is optional). He said there were six people on our floor, which normally has several hundred people.

Last edited:
It's interesting to consider why there is such low willingness to return to offices in UK compared to other places - and not it's not 'laziness', because people are working already.

I think main reasons are:
  • In London, the commute - getting into work involves extended, close contact with dozens of people each way, very few Londoners live within walking/cycling distance of Zone 1. Many other cities in Europe are more compact.
  • This government has fucked things up spectacularly and even if we did have a proper track and trace system (which we don't), no one's going to trust it for a minute

Boris Johnson has claimed that "huge numbers" of people are returning to the office amid a government drive to stop people from working from home, despite a lack of evidence.

Pressed on the prime minister's claim on Tuesday afternoon Downing Street said the PM's comments were not based on any hard figures, and that he was in fact expressing more of a wish.

It's interesting to consider why there is such low willingness to return to offices in UK compared to other places - and not it's not 'laziness', because people are working already.

• In London, the commute - getting into work involves extended, close contact with dozens of people each way, very few Londoners live within walking/cycling distance of Zone 1. Many other cities in Europe are more compact.
  • This government has fucked things up spectacularly and even if we did have a proper track and trace system (which we don't), no one's going to trust it for a minute
Also the number of high rise buildings and the use of lifts/ logistics of getting to the top compared to other European cities.

Both true. I wonder how bigger role the type of work we do in the UK (and specifically in London) is playing? So much of London work is people sat behind screens, moving numbers on spreadsheets or creating advertising and marketing campaigns. All this stuff can and is being done from home.

Back
Top Bottom