Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

yes, i have. read that article.
that young man could have had asthma or have autism. The couple could have had COPD or PTSD. you just don't know.
He was clearly on the spectrum .
If people are suffering PTSD, perhaps they should shop when it was quieter.

He was clearly on the spectrum .
If people are suffering PTSD, perhaps they should shop when it was quieter.
I think people should mind their own business more.

Nothing, but nothing is gained from judging - let alone having a go at - people not wearing masks, and I suspect that a lot of the people who do it aren't really interested in the safety angle, so much as feeling righteous and superior.

well outside isn't so much of a problem, but gg was talking about in a shop wasn't he?

As has been pointed out asthma sufferers (like me) really don't want to be getting cv so they should wear one if at all possible.

I did say 'if they can that is', and you can't really get home deliveries from museums. :)

That's what I meant, unaffected as in asymptomatic as opposed to uninfected. I spoke to an epidemiologist friend this week and she said the current evidence shows that children under 11 are not super spreaders, either to each other or adults. Most infection of the young adult to child, but with the children still not suffering severely.

Study suggesting that infected children are more likely to pass it on than adults:

So, here's the thing. Overall infection levels are (obviously) going to be influenced by mask-wearing and the various other measures being taken. But this is not one of those situations where, if one person doesn't wear a mask, the whole thing becomes pointless.

The problem we have with masks, I suspect, is that a lot of people are not wearing them because they don't want to stand out by being one of only a few people wearing masks - I'm somewhat conscious of this as I put mine on to go into Tesco, where the rate of mask wearing is around 5%.

So, if people really want to improve the infection rates, the best thing any of us can do is not to preach, cajole, or worse - it's to just wear a mask. When enough people are doing that, that "not wanting to stick out" vibe is going to suddenly be working the other way, and more people will be keen not to stand out by not wearing a mask when the majority are.

And, what's more, whatever their reasons for not wearing a mask, I can absolutely promise that having someone have a go at them will be very unlikely indeed to make them change their behaviour. Which means that the only reasons for doing it are to feel a sense of superiority, or just vent some anger. Both of which are, arguably, rather more antisocial than not wearing a mask. Not to mention that having a ranty row with someone not wearing a mask is more likely to increase one's own risk of infection.

Hmmm, fair point.

Something like "sorry about this, I'm not asking for details but can you not wear a mask?"
You probably have close family and friends who aren't wearing masks. Why aren't you using this energy to speak with them? Why are you so keen to instead target people you don't know, who might be disabled (especially when the disability is likely to be PTSD), or who might have ASD? Not having a go btw but I really think it's something you need to think about before you start taking action. You feeling like you need to use the approach you suggest seems like a natural consequence of social media and internet culture (which treats any evidence of any individual existing as a spectacle everyone else is entitled to critque, consume and reply to) as well as a consequence of general erosure of physical communities (which leads to us having a lot less contextual knowledge about the people around us in the shops). If we want to get people wearing masks or do anything else to protect themselves and everyone else, we need to strengthen our communities (eg by reaching out to people we actually know and asking them if they are wearing their mask) and not alienate people (who are already defensive and/or vulnerable).

You probably have close family and friends who aren't wearing masks. Why aren't you using this energy to speak with them? Why are you so keen to instead target people you don't know, who might be disabled (especially when the disability is likely to be PTSD), or who might have ASD? Not having a go btw but I really think it's something you need to think about before you start taking action. You feeling like you need to use the approach you suggest seems like a natural consequence of social media and internet culture (which treats any evidence of any individual existing as a spectacle everyone else is entitled to critque, consume and reply to) as well as a consequence of general erosure of physical communities (which leads to us having a lot less contextual knowledge about the people around us in the shops). If we want to get people wearing masks or do anything else to protect themselves and everyone else, we need to strengthen our communities (eg by reaching out to people we actually know and asking them if they are wearing their mask) and not alienate people (who are already defensive and/or vulnerable).
TBF, the poster claiming to have "ripped into" non-mask-wearing individuals wasn't two sheds...

But yeah, we shouldn't be challenging people. If anyone should be, it's officialdom, not randoms.

Another fair point, although it doesn't really apply to me because I have all my shopping delivered and am not going out to crowded places because I'm vulnerable. I was just suggesting an alternative to having a go at people not wearing masks.

Edit: ignore this :)

I've been in four supermarkets since the 24th. Three quarters - ish of staff are wearing masks and I have seen ONE customer who wasn't. And he was a grumpy looking teenager with what looked like his mum who was wearing one. If she can't make him I'm not going to start.

Halfords on the other hand was full of people without masks. I think they think it only counts in supermarkets.

For clarity, I should point out that my experiences have taken place in Wales, where there is no mandatory mask-wearing requirement for shops.

I suppose, in a way, one of the unintended consequences of mandatory mask-wearing is that it does give the kind of person who likes to get on their high horse an excuse to go around having a go. I still think it should be mandatory here in Wales, too, though.

Most people are wearing masks here. It wasn’t pleasant on Friday when it was really hot but I’m just getting on with it. It is making me avoid doing a big supermarket shop though. It feels like it’s too long but I was already struggling with that and forgetting stuff in household and fruit and veg as I’d reached my limit and needed to get out of the shop. I didn’t realise I was anxious but Mr Looby has noticed. I’m fine with quick shops.

I stopped for petrol yesterday and a bloke came in to get a coffee, no mask and coughed for ages all over the coffee machine with no attempt to cover his mouth.
He also parked his shit BMW in the middle of the forecourt and left his engine running so clearly a twat anyway. I did think he might be about to rob the place but just selfish I think.

Back
Top Bottom