Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

The British are breathtakingly stupid. God damn.

586lY5B.jpg

and they expect others to self isolate for four months ffs!

Why the fuck are they hurriedly trying to produce thousands of ventilators now rather than 4 weeks ago? They new this was coming.
Why was there no contingency for this already in place seeing as this type of pandemic has been recognised as a significant risk for decades.
They talk about vulnerable people self isolating but their is zero detail on how they are going to be supported.
I increasingly fearful of a social, economic and public health disaster that will leave many thousands dead, millions thrown into destiution and health and public services essentially collapsing under the strain.
Please someone reassure me im wrong but i dont think ive ever been more fearful of the future and less confident in the basic competance of those in charge.

BBC news doesn't seem to have much new to say today, they are repeating a Hancock interview with Andrew Marr. Hancock doesn't seem very definite on anything in it.

Well this is pretty bleak - between 360k-500k deaths over initial infection period based on 80% contagion and 1% mortality rate

UK coronavirus crisis 'to last until spring 2021 and could see 7.9m hospitalised'

Well this is pretty bleak - between 360k-500k deaths over initial infection period based on 80% contagion and 1% mortality rate

UK coronavirus crisis 'to last until spring 2021 and could see 7.9m hospitalised'

Yeah, just read that too. Absolutely fucking terrifying tbh. If that's true it's the end of how society is currently, especially if either re-infection is possible and/or it mutates into something more serious.

Fucking. Hell.

Yeah, just read that too. Absolutely fucking terrifying tbh. If that's true it's the end of how society is currently, especially if either re-infection is possible and/or it mutates into something more serious.

Fucking. Hell.

Innit. Had heard it as the worst case scenario, not as the likely one.

I did take some comfort from the comment about it ultimately becoming just another flu, something that does the rounds but which there is some inbuilt immunity to. Hope that's right.

It's not a fucking flu. People need to wake the fuck up and take personal responsibilty. It mutates...of course the weakest in society will be the earliest victims...but that is not what it is. Wash, shower, don't share, don't cough or sneeze near anyone...if you think you might, don't put them in that situation by not putting yourself in that situation. There is no immunity, herd, otherwise or magic....that is not real. They didn't have science and social media in the old days...lock yourself the fuck up. Good luck.

Ffs. We are going to be lucky to have a 1 percent death rate. 1 percent on a lockdown and every resource we got aimed at keeping people alive OK yeah. Not here tho.

It's not a fucking flu. People need to wake the fuck up and take personal responsibilty. It mutates...of course the weakest in society will be the earliest victims...but that is not what it is. Wash, shower, don't share, don't cough or sneeze near anyone...if you think you might, don't put them in that situation by not putting yourself in that situation. There is no immunity, herd, otherwise or magic....that is not real. They didn't have science and social media in the old days...lock yourself the fuck up. Good luck.

No, it's a coronavirus. Like lots of others that affect people, but which don't have a significant mortality rate because inevitably life, naturally and through medical intervention, adapts to viruses like viruses adapt and mutate to life. The issue is how long until we get to that point and how severe the effects are in the meantime. Don't be a dick, it's not helpful. Dick.

The minimal testing is ... baffling and surely completely the wrong approach.
My partner is a nurse in a care home. At least two people we have been in close contact with in the past week are now self isolating because they have flu like symptoms - cough, fever, aches etc. But they dont know if its corona because they cant get tested. She cant get tested. So she has no way of no knowing if she is should go to work - potentially infecting dozens of very vulnerable people - or stay home - putting strain on a vital support service quite probably for no good reason. I am sure their are huge numbers of people in this position.
The lack of comprehensive testing is insane - it deprives the public health system of vital information of how to plan and allocate resources to hot spots, map and contain outbreaks and ensure health staff are clear - and infected ones self isolate.

Scotland is talking about its community testing program. Note that this is part of the sort of surveillance systems authorities use to track epidemics, rather than trying to track all cases, it is not the same as deciding to go back to testing all milder cases. Its a survey basically, sampling a small subset of the population over time.

My partner is a nurse in a care home. At least two people we have been in close contact with in the past week are now self isolating because they have flu like symptoms - cough, fever, aches etc. But they dont know if its corona because they cant get tested. She cant get tested. So she has no way of no knowing if she is should go to work - potentially infecting dozens of very vulnerable people - or stay home - putting strain on a vital support service quite probably for no good reason. I am sure their are huge numbers of people in this position.
The lack of comprehensive testing is insane - it deprives the public health system of vital information of how to plan and allocate resources to hot spots, map and contain outbreaks and ensure health staff are clear - and infected ones self isolate.
We don't have the reagents to waste them on that. People need to take responsibility and if they might have it need to self isolate especially if symptomatic - as in the public health advice.
Even our sick hospitalised patients aren't getting tests turned around quickly enough to facilitate safe care currently. Those well enough to be in the community need to assume they have it and act accordingly. It would be great if we could rapidly test everyone as soon as a cough or a fever emerged (then in healthcare the non -coronavirus causes could be identified and those people brought back to work to keep helping). We also don't know the rate of false negatives yet. We do know that a less than vigorous swabbing in influenza can give a false negative, so with coronavirus we are doing four (two nasal and two throat)

how can you work out epidemiology, patterns, etc, without mass testing?

how can you work out epidemiology, patterns, etc, without mass testing?

You rely on surveys, community sampling, which if done right (and there is plenty of experience of that because the same sort of things are done with flu etc) can demonstrate the bigger picture. Especially when combined with data from hospitals on the serious cases.

eg the stuff talked about in the Scotland article I just linked to a few post ago.

No, it's a coronavirus. Like lots of others that affect people, but which don't have a significant mortality rate because inevitably life, naturally and through medical intervention, adapts to viruses like viruses adapt and mutate to life. The issue is how long until we get to that point and how severe the effects are in the meantime. Don't be a dick, it's not helpful. Dick.
Telling people to take personal responsibility in the current situation is not being a dick.

Dismissing it...well I'll leave that to everyone else.

Back
Top Bottom