Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

This appears to be a key concern of their readers ...

View attachment 298385
It's quite possible that they did exactly that, Trump made some of the early efforts to fight it a lot more difficult by insisting on calling it the 'China' virus. I suspect that whoever is in charge of picking names at the WHO wondered if Beijing would get mardy about it and decided it just wasn't worth it. CoVID is causing enough chaos as it is without throwing petty political egos into the mix.

It's so fucking maddening.
Direct question about masks which was bumbled and stuttered over..."we'll require it" but "more from the health sec in the next day or so"
If that's earlier and harder than they'd like then they must literally want to do nothing at all with masks

This lady talking a load of sense

ETA Susan Michie of SAGE

She said the best way to avoid stronger clampdowns coming down the line is going hard, like, yesterday, and what the gov is doing is Plan B lite, in fact weaker measures than SAGE proposed in Sept before Omicron. So much for listening to the science

Whitty brought uo the absolute bullshit some of our worst newspapers came out with based on things Whitty said yesterday that they twisted.

The new testing regime for travellers is sensible from a genomic surveillance ansd spread reduction point of view, and will give the news channels endless opportunities to find travellers and travel industry people to moan to camera.

As was thr case last year, references to Christmas are largely the medias fault, they bring that shit up and then the politicians have to respond. Not that I'm excusing Johnsons current Christmas rhetoric when he finds himself having to answer such questions.

Its a bit awkward for the authorities having to acknlowdge that some of the concerns about this variant are to do with vaccine effectiveness, whilst at the same time relying on vaccines as part of their response to this variant, a big chunk of being seen to do something, etc. In reality this is a mix of both dubious double-think but also some rational science, since vaccines & boosters may well still offer certain forms of protection against this strain, even if it smashes past other aspects of protection. And I've always said the authorities here were asking the vaccines to carry too much weight against previous strains, let alone this one. On that note, it was slightly awkward for them having to explain how this new variant may still spread quite a lot between vaccinated people, when that was actually the case with the previous Delta variant too, a fact that wasnt hidden at the time but which may have gone unnoticed if relying only on their press conference rhetoric.

This lady talking a load of sense

ETA Susan Michie of SAGE

She said the best way to avoid stronger clampdowns coming down the line is going hard, like, yesterday, and what the gov is doing is Plan B lite, in fact weaker measures than SAGE proposed in Sept before Omicron. So much for listening to the science
On this front Johnson was wanking on about how Omicron requires a different response to the response he deemed adequate to deal with Delta. Never mind that the plans and timetable for this year were largely drawn up pre-Delta and that as far as Englands restrictions went, apart from the delay to 'freedom day', they couldnt be arsed to change anything when Delta came along. Or that in terms of actually sincerely trying to reduce the spread and number of cases, the things people need to do are fundamentally the same for all variants (although of course the results are better for less transmissible variants).

I've noticed that some members of the press are unable to remember the basics of the recent history of variants and so make reference to Delta and 'last year'. Alpha(Kent) was last year, Delta was well into this year!

I'm thinking about asking my workshop team to wear masks again, if they are working in close proximity (approx arm's length) to each other ...

Also, visitors [admittedly, they are very rare] to be asked to wear mask & use hand sanitiser [must check how much is in the dispenser tomorrow].

And I must remind a couple of them that they do qualify for a booster.
In one case, he's young enough that he's still to get a second jag.
I'll pay them normal time to go get the jag, and if they have after affects, then that'll be paid, as well.

I've noticed that some members of the press are unable to remember the basics of the recent history of variants and so make reference to Delta and 'last year'. Alpha(Kent) was last year, Delta was well into this year!
Ben Brown of the BBC - who rudely cut off Michie after she said "dither and delay" :D - also reported as one of the key points that people coming into the UK would have to take a PCR test on their second day in the country, rather than by the end of their second day

I'm thinking about asking my workshop team to wear masks again, if they are working in close proximity (approx arm's length) to each other ...

Also, visitors [admittedly, they are very rare] to be asked to wear mask & use hand sanitiser [must check how much is in the dispenser tomorrow].

And I must remind a couple of them that they do qualify for a booster.
In one case, he's young enough that he's still to get a second jag.
I'll pay them normal time to go get the jag, and if they have after affects, then that'll be paid, as well.
You are paying them too much, if they can afford jags.

Also it wont just be details and data regarding Omicron that they take a close look at in the coming weeks. It will also be looking at data that gives strong clues about the public response to the new mood music, whether there are clear signs of more people not just wearing masks, but avoiding certain situations completely, falls in mobility, retail footfall, economic activity, questionnaires about number of close contacts etc.

Back
Top Bottom