Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Well this is saying nothing. :rolleyes:

Trying to get a better uptake rate for boosters is really important. But I can understand why people who want more action arent impressed with todays messages.

Anyway I guessed right about the style and substance of todays press conference so I dont have much else to say. New variants did get a mention as part of the attempt to get people to take things a bit more seriously.

The only interesting bit was when he said that one quarter of the case numbers are from people doing lateral flows regularly as a precaution. That means 3/4 are people who have symptoms or have had close contact with a confirmed case?

Shit as the government is the opposition is no better, I'd missed Labour's brilliant solution earlier in the day

Jonathan Ashworth, the shadow health secretary, told the World at One that the government should be using retired doctors to help administer vaccines to teenagers. He explained:

I’ve heard stories from around the country that the reason a school has had to cancel its vaccination is because there wasn’t requisite school nurses available … if we’ve not got the school nurses available why don’t we mobilise retired clinicians to drive up vaccinations in school?
Yeah that's the biggest failure by the government FFS

• Wow
Reactions: LDC
as someone who doesn’t actually like wearing a mask. But I do so on transport. Sometimes in shops. I don’t know why they just don’t say start wearing masks in public again. it doesn’t actually cost anything, business can continue. I know the Covid recovery group, but fuck them. I’m not sure how much effect they would have with Delta. But it’s worth trying. At least it would look like some kind of decision, leadership.

One of the other things is going back to wfh where possible. (Most people I know are now back in at least two days a week.) But we must think of Pret so that's no doubt not a runner.

How much is being driven by schools? (Sorry I should know) As pointed out half terms are here/coming - perhaps they're waiting to see what happens with that.

as someone who doesn’t actually like wearing a mask. But I do so on transport. Sometimes in shops. I don’t know why they just don’t say start wearing masks in public again.

But they've already told us that the path out of lockdown was irreversible! And mandating masks on transport again would, amongst other things, mean saying people like Sadiq Khan might have had a valid point.

Oops one of the journalists pointed out that they are in danger of ignoring one of the biggest lessons of the pandemic, that if you delay taking action then you end up having to do harsher stuff for longer later.
It really shouldn't have taken the experience of the past 18 months to learn that lesson, it should be glaringly obvious to anyone with the simplest grasp of how viruses spread and multiply.

But to seemingly still not have got it, or at least to still be acting as if they still haven't got it, is utterly unbelievable...

It really shouldn't have taken the experience of the past 18 months to learn that lesson, it should be glaringly obvious to anyone with the simplest grasp of how viruses spread and multiply.

But to seemingly still not have got it, or at least to still be acting as if they still haven't got it, is utterly unbelievable...

You're right, its so obvious they must know it. It's just baffling.

I looked at the beeb's "live" reporting as watching on the TV would, I think, have given me either the rage or thrown me deeper into despair.

Unfortunately, SJ's weaselly words have given me both.

They've lost control of infection rates (again) and even getting the booster take-up rates really ramped up is not going to save the retail sector's seasonal bacon.

Trying to get a better uptake rate for boosters is really important. But I can understand why people who want more action arent impressed with todays messages.

Anyway I guessed right about the style and substance of todays press conference so I dont have much else to say. New variants did get a mention as part of the attempt to get people to take things a bit more seriously.
There's a story about that here

Covid: Is the pace of the vaccine booster rollout too slow?

Latest data from the NHS shows 3.7 million people in England have been given a third jab under the programme, offering them the fullest protection against the virus this winter.
According to calculations from the actuary John Roberts, from the Covid-19 Actuaries Response Group, which has been tracking the vaccine rollout, there are 8.5 million people now eligible for a booster if they want it.
That leaves 4.8 million who have had their second dose at least six months ago, but have not yet received that top-up. He says that shortfall has been growing by about 800,000 a week as more people become eligible.

It's unclear to me from that what the reasons are for the shortfall.

It could be a reluctance from eligible people to come forward, but it could equally well be that the system isn't able to deliver boosters as quickly as we would all like, because of shortages of vaccine, shortage of staff to carry out vaccinations, or administrative problems arranging appointments.

But yet again it appears to be being presented (not by you, elbows) as individuals being at fault, for not getting their booster when they are eligible.

Shit as the government is the opposition is no better, I'd missed Labour's brilliant solution earlier in the day

Yeah that's the biggest failure by the government FFS
Fucking hell. He's as wilfully clueless as the government about how bad it is. Any half competent retired doctor who volunteered would be on the wards or GP surgeries, why the hell doesn't the Shadow Health Secretary have a clue how short staffed the NHS is?

why the hell doesn't the Shadow Health Secretary have a clue how short staffed the NHS is?

They don't care. Under-resource the NHS for decades, wait until the staff are too exhausted to effectively fight back, stab the shuffling edifice in the back. Presumably you've already picked up on the anti-GP rhetoric in segments of the news the last few weeks? Expect this to continue until the bulk of the NHS are a smouldering crater that can be declared unfit for purpose.

It could be a reluctance from eligible people to come forward, but it could equally well be that the system isn't able to deliver boosters as quickly as we would all like, because of shortages of vaccine, shortage of staff to carry out vaccinations, or administrative problems arranging appointments.

But yet again it appears to be being presented (not by you, elbows) as individuals being at fault, for not getting their booster when they are eligible.

We don't have any NHS vaccination centre in Worthing, the nearest two are Brighton & Chichester, both a round trip of about 25 miles, so most get jabbed at the three GP hubs in town. That means any roll-out starts slowly, as they have to do the more time consuming ones first, i.e. care homes & the housebound, after those are done, the GPs soon start catching-up, so that must be part of the reason for the slow start in many areas.

Certainly those GP hubs have all started up again in the last 2 or 3 weeks, with no shortages of vaccines or staff, and they operate their own online & phone booking system, separate to the NHS national one, and there's certainly no problem with that.

In fact the NHS system is causing confusion here, again, and the GP's have had to change their excellent booking system to help solve the confusion.

Confusingly, many of you have received letters from the National Booking Service for your Booster / 3rd dose. This may be a text, email or letter. If you try to book you’re offered e.g. Brighton i.e. not a local option. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO TAKE UP THIS OFFER FROM THE NATIONAL SERVICE. You will most definitely be invited by us for a local vaccination once you are eligible. Given the national letters/texts/emails have caused some confusion, we’ve sorted it out so that if you receive such a letter, you may instead call [special number for all GP's in Worthing] and book your booster / 3rd dose locally,

It’s quite frustrating the confusion the national invites have caused, since these appear to have in some instances been sent out days/weeks before you are eligible, and therefore before you receive a local invite. Unfortunately we had no warning of this. Rest assured we will invite you locally, and now you can call the local number if you get the national invite letter but want to book locally.

I had a text weeks ago from my GP saying they will be in contact when mine is due [end Nov.], which will be a text link to their online booking system, if I get a letter from the NHS first, I'll probably ignore it until I get my GP text, as I did last year, because the text arrived just a few days later, and my appointment ended-up being sooner than it would have been with the NHS, and just a short walk rather than a 25 mile drive.

I dont believe it for a second, everyone I know who thinks thhey are elligible for a booster is champing at the bit, its a delivery problem

Well yes, I suppose I should differentiate.

Problem is because we arent publishing figures im not sure that if we were we would be pretending the same that its all going swimmingly and any shortfall is the publics fault, I guess I dont know for England, but tbh most in here talk about England as if they are speaking for the UK

I dont believe it for a second, everyone I know who thinks thhey are elligible for a booster is champing at the bit, its a delivery problem

There are enough doses in wales and scotland for everyone until end November currently. Maybe a delivery into arms problem but not vaccine availability.

I believe the standard assumption would be that it will be hard to match the original vaccine uptake when it comes to boosters. Clues include that it wasnt even possible to get second dose figures to go as high as first dose ones. But only time will tell, and yes there are probably some system & logistics issues that mean I shouldnt interpret the initial numbers as being indicative of true demand/uptake.

My 3rd jab was supposed to be this week, I booked it weeks ago, it was cancelled with 4 days notice. As I've got caring duties with my old relatives I was on the phone to the surgery that's doing it hoping to talk them round. Not possible, it is supply problems and hopefully will happen in a rebooked by them appointment in 6 weeks time.

Has fucked up my plans big time

Back
Top Bottom