Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

I tell people after the jab before I explain possible side effects etc., but was never told to tbh. I agree it does seem slightly bonkers, but it's hard as retention of info by patients with something like this is very, very low, so a leaflet is the way round that, but aIso agree people rarely read them.

Especially when you consider 48% of people don't even know what the main covid symptoms are, according to a survey out today, over a bloody year into the pandemic. :facepalm:

I tell people after the jab before I explain possible side effects etc., but was never told to tbh. I agree it does seem slightly bonkers, but it's hard as retention of info by patients with something like this is very, very low, so a leaflet is the way round that, but aIso agree people rarely read them.
If some planning went in to the protocol you could probably come up with something like asking people to repeat certain information back to you. It seems like a really important thing to get right in the current context so I'm a bit surprised it's just been giving people a leaflet and hoping.

You'd think that after a year of global pandemic that has massively disrupted everything and affected everyone in what they are and aren't able to do... and after that, there's a vaccine which means that your chances of getting ill from Covid go from fairly high to fairly low... you'd think that maybe people would take an interest in something as basic as "how long after being given the injection can I assume my protection has increased substantially". You'd think that might be one thing where you could assume some level of retention of information?

Especially when you consider 48% of people don't even know what the main covid symptoms are, according to a survey out today, over a bloody year into the pandemic. :facepalm:

I know, it really does test my faith in humanity sometimes. I regularly come across people ignoring symptoms, not getting tested, not isolating etc. through work. For sure some are for reasons like concern over work or finances etc., but a depressingly huge number with no justifiable reason.

Is it four weeks after the first or the second? Not sure what we’re supposed to do with that information anyway
Four weeks after the first that you have reasonable immunity. As I understand it the booster shot is as much about long term immunity as increasing the percentage a little.

Of course in theory people's behaviour shouldn't change just because they think they're protected by the vaccine, but we know that's not realistic. Better to make sure that if they are going to change their behaviour they wait four weeks to do it rather than the next day.

Yeah I've had my second dose now, and I'd be lying if I said it wouldn't change my behaviour at all. The rules are changing anyway, but if they weren't I think I could see myself bending them now, whereas I haven't before.

I have a friend who works in med coms and its a well known phenomena that people often don't take in or comprehend what they are being told by healthcare professionals. Maybe its a white coat syndrome maybe its because people don't want to think about their health maybe we're having to confront mortality or an unwelcome change in our lives. We're on auto-pilot in these situations and we'll nod and agree with the doctor or nurse but we're just not taking it in.

I think its one of the main reasons for poor compliance with medication routines (yes I'm aware there are other reasons) which is a very common thing.

Millions and millions are spent on communications to try and assist the patient but often it just falls back to patient literature. All the information is out there but it seems to be a human thing, well certainly a British thing that the info just isn't processed well. Health literacy and all that.

Last edited:
Of course in theory people's behaviour shouldn't change just because they think they're protected by the vaccine,
For those in vulnerable groups, who might have been restricting their behaviour more than most for the past year (and possibly restricting their activity beyond what the guidelines say) then I think it would be absolutely fair enough for them to change their behaviour. For example if they were deciding to meet someone in a low-vulnerability group, then waiting an extra two weeks might make a crucial difference.

I never remember any verbal instructions GPs give me. Luckily it’s usually on the medication.
I would read a short leaflet/info sheet though.

This is the report that lead to the story:

They are recommending repeating the exercise every month, because they also want to track vaccine failure in different age groups:

While the majority of “vaccine failures defined as Difference in symptom onset and vaccination >= 14 days” occur in people age >80yr (highlighted in yellow in table 1) it must be remembered that at the time of analysis this group also made up the majority of people vaccinated.

Screenshot 2021-04-01 at 15.24.07.png
Screenshot 2021-04-01 at 15.27.01.png
We have recognised that some vaccinated patients were admitted for non-COVID-19 reasons and were asymptomatic but later identified as PCR positive. Of the 1,802 vaccinated patients admitted to hospital, 1,560 tested PCR positive (87% of vaccinated admissions). Of these patients 342 were asymptomatic (22% of PCR positive vaccinated admissions). Of these asymptomatic patients 164 (48% of asymptomatic PCR positive vaccinated admissions) were admitted within 7 days of vaccination, indicating infection before immunity had opportunity to develop.

Last edited:
Looking at the dashboard, a couple of milestones have been hit:

- Patients in hospital have dropped just below 4,000, down from that peak of over 38,000, admissions being down -23.5% in the last week.

- Deaths have dropped below an average of 50, now 46 a day, you have to go back to 1st Oct. to beat that, they are down -38.5% in the last week.

Also interesting, and somewhat surprising considering the schools re-opened a few weeks a go, but new cases are down -16.7% in the last week.

Last edited:
I've just come back from having mine (AstraZeneca, since you ask), and no mention of precautions was made. All the focus was on side-effects. And checking I didn't have any kind of egg allergy. And a bit of banter about blood clots, or the lack thereof.

Hospitality industry bodies moaning that the latest attempt to reopen the sector in a less risky manner than was managed previously is just not on.

I understand why from a financial perspective they want business to boom, but at this stage I hardly need to say what I think about this. Much better to err on the side of caution, especially to start with, and to have a system which might actually be compatible with genuine attempts to track & trace, find the source of outbreaks etc. And yes, maybe dampen demand and give the public cues that they shouldnt relax their guard too much in these settings, that the pandemic is not over yet.

I've just come back from having mine (AstraZeneca, since you ask), and no mention of precautions was made. All the focus was on side-effects. And checking I didn't have any kind of egg allergy. And a bit of banter about blood clots, or the lack thereof.
Egg allergy is what I've been asked for flu jabs.

Nice one. Change your vote before you collapse. :)

Yeah I've had my second dose now, and I'd be lying if I said it wouldn't change my behaviour at all. The rules are changing anyway, but if they weren't I think I could see myself bending them now, whereas I haven't before.

I think we undersell vaccines. I know they aren't perfect. But they have removed smallpox and polio from the world. It has been estimated Smallpox killed 25% of the Roman empire in 4 months. We have been confined to our houses for less than 1%. Imagine a 25% death rate. (It's actually more like 30% Smallpox) Smallpox is scary Why Romans Grew Nostalgic for the Deadly Plague of 165 A.D.

50% of the UK population is estimated to have antibodies to Covid-19 through a vaccine or catching it. I think behaviour will naturally change.

I'm hopeful for a nice warm summer, if we all hang out outdoors it will really help drive the infection rate down.

You'd think that after a year of global pandemic that has massively disrupted everything and affected everyone in what they are and aren't able to do... and after that, there's a vaccine which means that your chances of getting ill from Covid go from fairly high to fairly low... you'd think that maybe people would take an interest in something as basic as "how long after being given the injection can I assume my protection has increased substantially". You'd think that might be one thing where you could assume some level of retention of information?
People are astonishingly passive when it comes to decisions about their own health. If the risk isn't staring them in the face, many people aren't interested in making the conceptual effort to acknowledge an invisible risk. So, in their minds, vaccine = safe, simple as.

People are astonishingly passive when it comes to decisions about their own health. If the risk isn't staring them in the face, many people aren't interested in making the conceptual effort to acknowledge an invisible risk. So, in their minds, vaccine = safe, simple as.
I myself am having trouble imagining Covid as a reality as it hasn’t happened to me. It’s difficult to be wary of dangers when they’re not immediately apparent.

Hospitality industry bodies moaning that the latest attempt to reopen the sector in a less risky manner than was managed previously is just not on.

I understand why from a financial perspective they want business to boom, but at this stage I hardly need to say what I think about this. Much better to err on the side of caution, especially to start with, and to have a system which might actually be compatible with genuine attempts to track & trace, find the source of outbreaks etc. And yes, maybe dampen demand and give the public cues that they shouldnt relax their guard too much in these settings, that the pandemic is not over yet.

Fucking daft. Contact tracing has been abandoned in all but name anyway.

I think we undersell vaccines. I know they aren't perfect. But they have removed smallpox and polio from the world. It has been estimated Smallpox killed 25% of the Roman empire in 4 months. We have been confined to our houses for less than 1%. Imagine a 25% death rate. (It's actually more like 30% Smallpox) Smallpox is scary Why Romans Grew Nostalgic for the Deadly Plague of 165 A.D.

50% of the UK population is estimated to have antibodies to Covid-19 through a vaccine or catching it. I think behaviour will naturally change.

I'm hopeful for a nice warm summer, if we all hang out outdoors it will really help drive the infection rate down.

I dont think we undersell vaccines, I think the authorities are somewhat careful not to make claims until they have the data to back those claims up. This has been especially notable when it comes to them not wanting to make claims about reductions in transmission until they started to get more data on that side of things. And we are now into the stage where good data news on the transmission front starts to emerge, improving expectations.

I've seen several modelling exercises looking at lockdown relaxation over time in combination with the UK vaccination programme, and under plenty of the scenarios the picture later this year still wasnt pretty, still involved further deaths in the tens of thousands over time via another wave. These exercises had limitations and were based on various assumptions about vaccine effectiveness which are now a bit out of date. So I dont have a narrow range of expectations for the future, I have a wide range all the way from 'next wave will barely resemble a sizeable wave at all' to another considerable peak of deaths and hospitalisations. It will take time before I can narrow my expectations in a particular direction on that. Government seems to have a simialr attitude, hence the relatively cautious approach to unlocking in phases.

I do have an additional reason to consider relatively pleasant pandemic future possibilities as a result of vaccination, because of the substantial role I think hospital-acquired infections have in amplifying a wave, and if vaccines radically change the hospital infection potential then things that were terrible tipping points in previous waves may not kick off in the same way in future, even under conditions where community infection levels are not well under control.

In terms of public attitudes towards vaccines, the binary nature of a lot of the thinking bothers me. This wont matter quite so much if the data keeps on yielding better and better figures, because faulty ideas about being totally protected will not be as far away from the truth as they might be if the original, lower percentages for these sorts of things had been closer to the reality.

If last summer was any guide then I dont think people are that well equipped to judge how quickly a subsequent wave can take to emerge and reach very problematic levels either. Which is not surprising, the government often dont speak much about this and there are a lot of variables that can affect things. A simple starting point that I use to get some sense of this sort of thing is how low the level of infections has gotten by the time measures are relaxed. Things have fallen a lot since the January peak so if things start to climb again they are doing so from a lower starting point than was the case, for example, when things went wrong at the end of November/start of December after a period of restrictions was eased, but then of course that situation was also affected by the Kent variant, schools not having been shut in November etc.

Fucking daft. Contact tracing has been abandoned in all but name anyway.

I dont agree at all. I know how that impression of contact tracing has emerged and been reinforced, especially in recent months, but I dont agree. Especially not on the local level where there is still quite a bit of interest in the detection and management of specific outbreaks in specific settings.

There will be a point where I would go easier on the brakes applied to hospitality, but it would not be for some time yet. I want the opposite of 'eat out to help out' for quite some months yet, I want people to be discouraged, I want signals to be sent that the risk has not gone, the pandemic has not gone.

Plus I want the possibility to remain to collect better data that may answer questions about evidence that people in denial about the role of hospitality in viral spread come out with. Hopefully we wont end up in a situation where this argument and demands for evidence comes back again, but if we do I do not want the authorities to have missed more opportunities to gather such data in the meantime.

They are doing vaccinations at my local pharmacy but I'm a bit dubious about the setup.

If you are just a pharmacy customer, then they are allowing two customers in the shop at a time. So you wait outside. But then when you go in, it's you, maybe another pharmacy customer, plus two (or maybe three) people waiting to get their vaccination. Everyone is probably 2m apart but they are all in the same internal space with unknown ventilation. I don't really understand their thinking. The people waiting to be vaccinated are likely the ones to be most at risk... so why do they not wait outside until it's time for their vaccination? They've obviously decided it's feasible for people to wait outside because that's what they are asking regular customers to do.

I shall be cautious about the setup and consider my options when the time comes that I am offered a vaccine. Because going for one will be the riskiest thing I've done since mid March 2020, because of how effectively I've been able to keep myself away from people and places since then. I'd really like number of cases to keep going down in the meantime, since I'll be going for a vaccine at the same time as lots of other people in age groups generally more likely to be infected via their day to day lives all the way along this pandemic.

Back
Top Bottom