Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Copenhagen

I worked in Copenhagen for a year in 2006-07. Its brilliant.
I'm pretty sure Tivoli is closed in November. Its open for a little while at Halloween and then at Christmas. Its a summer place really.
The Rundetarn is indeed an old observatory. No stairs though (until the very top), because the king wanted to be able to ride his carriage to the top.
  • The Crown Jewels in Rosenborg Castle in the park. Fuck that, parasites the lot of them.
  • Christianborg Palace is nice and you go and hang out with the horsies used for pulling royal carriages and whatnot. See above
  • You can walk up to the top of the Church of Our Saviour in Christianshavn too. Not recommended if you dont like heights. That is the bollocks, not sure it is open in November though because it will be brass monkeys up there.
  • The Danish design museum on Bredgade is really good. Quite small. I think it is free. Danish design really is special.
  • Bobi bar is sort of historic. For scientists. They serve Tuborg, bottled. You can still smoke in that one. It's special because the breweries (carlsberg and tuborg) have patronised the arts and sciences respectively. Copenhagen is a university town, different bars are frequented by different groups of scholars.
  • Have a wander round Christiania - squats and weird architecture. The Greyhouse sometimes has art and crafts sales and Loppen is good for bands. Agree. You can also get some tolerated decent weed out here.
  • I enjoyed looking round the department stores - especially Illum. Illums Bolighus is the best, again for that design furniture. Prices will make you eyes water.
  • Go to the Kastellet army barracks. I concur, little mermaid is close by too.
  • There is a good maritime museum in Christianshavn - Danish navy used to be the bollocks
  • The bars down at Nyhavn are sort of historic, and I really liked Peder Ox as a restaurant. Hmmm. Nyhavn is expensively touristy, but nice to spend an afternoon.
  • To be honest, in November it'll be dark and crappy and most people will be enjoying the 'hygge' so you're best off just schlepping round a few candlelit bars, and have some smorrebrod.
I never went to these but not for any particular reason.

• The Carlsbery Brewery
  • You can have a look around inside the town hall at the bottom of Stroget, opposite Tivoli
  • There is a Danish Resistance museum

I also recommend taking the train to Helsingør and visting Kronborg Slot (Castle), this is the castle that is the setting for Hamlet and is pretty cool. You can also enjoy a cheap ferry ride over to Helsingborg in Sweden (20 minutes), and have a mooch around there.

Yeah, Helsingor is pretty and atmospheric. Roskilde isn't far on the train either. Theres a fancy cathedral with all the Kings buried there and then the Viking museum at the bottom of the hill with loads of old Viking ships they dug up from the fjord.

last time we were there, we started at the Winston churchill bar - urgh - but by 1AM , ended up ripped to the gills at some kind of Faeroe islanders club, full of very short pissed people dancing , all drinking beer with a picture of a sheep on it. it was a rather good end to the evening

The transit area of Copenhagen airport, I was there for about 15 minutes a few years ago, seemed nice.

last time we were there, we started at the Winston churchill bar - urgh - but by 1AM , ended up ripped to the gills at some kind of Faeroe islanders club, full of very short pissed people dancing , all drinking beer with a picture of a sheep on it. it was a rather good end to the evening

winston churchill bar? Faeroe islanders club? Do you have a name for these places?

heh. Well I think I know what could be the Winston Churchill one. It's called Eiffel Bar. It has a picture of Winston Churchill in there , so maybe that's what you mean.. It used to be a bordello - did you notice a spiral staircase at the back, that's where the girls were (this is a long long time ago, one of the oldest places in town. Very small with smoking. Only bottled beer? it's one of my favourite bars, good atmosphere on a friday / saturday night. If it's not that one I have no clue where you could be talking about.
I can't think of a faroese bar, but I do know a couple of places in Christiania that are popular with greenlanders (faroese are vikings they don't tend to be small, whereas greenlanders are). I am guessing you probably ended up in Woodstock, in Christiania. one of the only places in town that never ever shuts. I was once in there with a friend when someone decided to apparently die under our table. So we got the barman and he dragged the guy outside. "don't worry, he just needs to wake up, he's not dead, just tired, lets not make a fuss it's not the danish way". Sure enough the guy did wake up and came back in and bought us some beers to say thanks.

Can't find the actual post now, but I searched on u75 for Copenhagen for recommendations and read about a restaurant called Puk which I went to tonight and had a delicious meal..... I wanted to say thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom