Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Copenhagen - things to do, places to visit and general chat

I was in Copenhagen last year and we had a wander round Christiania during the day. It was nice for a wander,a drink and a mosey, seeing as we were in Copenhagen anyway. It is apparently best at night.

Boris Sprinkler said:
:D Also, Denmark is a country not a state...

The words are synonymous when you're talking about governments, national borders, etc. It might have been clearer if I'd said "country", but I wasn't incorrect. At least not in the way you think I was. :D

To be more specific - a state is a sovereign territory

"the state" usually refers to the governing body of said territory

Papingo said:
I was in Copenhagen last year and we had a wander round Christiania during the day. It was nice for a wander,a drink and a mosey, seeing as we were in Copenhagen anyway. It is apparently best at night.

I'd disagree with that. Definitely better during the day. Nice and sunny, few beers and smokes and some friends.
Also, don't miss nyhavn for some beers (buy your own and sit on the harbour side, avoid the cafe's in that area, expensive) and a laugh.

D said:
To be more specific - a state is a sovereign territory

"the state" usually refers to the governing body of said territory

so your assertion that the state of Denmark is only slightly bigger than the 2 miles of Copenhagen, is based on the assumption you are including Greenland and the Faroe Islands? Since by your definition on state they would also be included. :p :D

Greenland and the Faroe Islands are autonomous provinces with home rule.

So I'm not sure.

:p

Went there about 4 years ago, nice for a wander and found a good place to eat.
The weed was good, bars were full 'cos it was so cold though the atmosphere was a bit mixed - half hippy types and half smacked out nutters.

I thought the army had finally overrun the place a couple of years ago, surprised to read it's still there. Remember seeing great photos in the bars of the barricades when the army tried to reclaim the place many years ago.

Boris Sprinkler said:
I'd disagree with that. Definitely better during the day. Nice and sunny, few beers and smokes and some friends.
Also, don't miss nyhavn for some beers (buy your own and sit on the harbour side, avoid the cafe's in that area, expensive) and a laugh.

I only went during the day, so only have that, and what someone said to go on. :p

copenhagen is nice. it has lots of ver de gris covered statues, which is a good thing. some of them look like they've had their eyes gouged out. :)

the little mermaid is shit though. we walked for ages to get to it (possibly all the way to Germany) and it was rubbish. they should make it look like the little mermaid from Disney or the models in the souvenir shops, and cover it in glitter. that would make it a bit better. :)

Papingo said:
I only went during the day, so only have that, and what someone said to go on. :p

copenhagen is nice. it has lots of ver de gris covered statues, which is a good thing. some of them look like they've had their eyes gouged out. :)

the little mermaid is shit though. we walked for ages to get to it (possibly all the way to Germany) and it was rubbish. they should make it look like the little mermaid from Disney or the models in the souvenir shops, and cover it in glitter. that would make it a bit better. :)

it's in the direction of Sweden as Copenhagen lies. Germany is the other way :p

It is shit though. Got covered in pink paint for a bit in the summer due to the Ungdomshuset protests. You would have preferred that I guess.

Boris Sprinkler said:
It is shit though. Got covered in pink paint for a bit in the summer due to the Ungdomshuset protests. You would have preferred that I guess.

Yes! :D

The Danes aren't so keen either, it's been vandalised a few times. Had it's head knocked off for starters.

We may have walked all the way round and back to Germany. Felt like it. Had it been pink it might not have seemed such a long walk.

Great bike shop, Christiania bikes, great gig venue and restaurant (loppen), great veggie cafe (can't remember name, but looks like hansel and grentel cottage), but last time I went (2004) definite downward vibe with all the attempts by the right-wing Danish govt to sell it off for property speculation - regulars police sweeps far more of a downer than any amount of 'tension' from the old pusher street.

Saw Mazzy Star perform there once, stoned out of my tree, after eating an amazing five -star dinner of reindeer! True.

Here's a couple of photo's of Christiania I took yesterday.

Lake.
2191259373_40ba4ac7f0.jpg

Woodpile outside of the sauna.
2191264879_a967632bc1.jpg

New mural.
2192051238_12413658ae.jpg

The cheese patrol
2192056032_f877cb1600.jpg

You know the police are doing a raid when you hear cries of "Ost!" (cheese) coming in the distance. This is a good time to stash your gear.

Main entrance
2192058944_23420dfa4c.jpg

Just up from pusher street.

And the other side of the sign.
2192057130_23a2f1bc09.jpg

Some hippie shit.
2192050288_3ca2919584.jpg

Loppen and Spiseloppen. Loppen means the flea. It's a pretty good venue for gigs. Recently I saw the twilight sad there. Above that is one of my favourite restaurants in town, Spiseloppen.
2191270805_7c3ffd05a5.jpg

Another of the lake. In the background you can see the spire of Vor Frue Kirke. On the shoreline is the Christiania kindergarten/ school.
2191261515_9d3e5b5011.jpg

Hi folks

My best friend and I are going to Copenhagen for a long weekend soon. Wondered if anyone could give me some tips. Firstly, is it worth buying one of these Copenhagen card things or not? Anything good we should see? Eat/avoid???

Also hoping to go into southern Sweden for a day trip.

I'm quite excited about this holiday!!

That little mermaid is miles out. I'm not convinced it's in the same country. Don't bother with it.

It's got a Ripley's Believe it or not museum. And there's that Christiania or whatever it's called. I wasn't really there for the sightseeing as such.

oh, it hads loads and loads of verdigris statues which look like they've had their eyes poked out. I liked them a lot.

HTH HAND.

Hi folks

My best friend and I are going to Copenhagen for a long weekend soon. Wondered if anyone could give me some tips. Firstly, is it worth buying one of these Copenhagen card things or not? Anything good we should see? Eat/avoid???

Also hoping to go into southern Sweden for a day trip.

I'm quite excited about this holiday!!
From the bottom up.
Do the trip to sweden. I recommend going to Helsingør on the train (Kystbanen) and then seeing Kronbørg Slot (Hamlet's castle), then take the ferry over to Helsingbørg. have a mooch around there and then come on the same ferry.
If you have time you can stop off at Humlebæk and visit the Louisiana art gallery - http://www.louisiana.dk/dk

Don't bother with the little mermaid it is shit.
Christiania is interesting to visit.
For Danish food I recommend Puk. http://www.restaurantpuk.dk/
or Spiseloppen as Llama said
The weekend ticket Copenhagen Card is probably a good idea. Although obviously I have never bought one myself.

Where are you staying?

what Boris said - and what he said on the thread when I asked this quetion six months ago.

Deffo another vote for Spiseloppen, wonderful food. We really enjoyed the danish resitance museum and just generally cycling about. The launderette/bookshop/bar was nice. And the sculpture park thing between Copenhagen & Helsingor is nice, if you're driving.

Old thread bump, I'm thinking about going for three nights in february half term, Ill get there in the evening of the first night, have 2 full days there and fly back on sunday evening ready for work monday.

Found a hostel called Generator which looks quite cool too.

Will I be able to see much of it in 2.5 days?

Old thread bump, I'm thinking about going for three nights in february half term, Ill get there in the evening of the first night, have 2 full days there and fly back on sunday evening ready for work monday.

Found a hostel called Generator which looks quite cool too.

Will I be able to see much of it in 2.5 days?
yes. It aint that big. you'll even have time to go over The Bridge

I hear it is wonderful.

I think I got a train to Denmark from Copenhagan, some place near legoland way. It was very very nice indeed. I got an amazing apartment hotel type thing in a park by a lake for a very reasonable price.

Lovely.

beers expensive (tho not as much as you might think), but otherwise it seemed pretty much uk prices

Eating out is also very expensive. It's a lovely city though; do go to Christiania and if you have the time Malmo is beautiful and only twenty minutes by train over the Oresund bridge.

So it looks like a group of 5 of us are heading to Copenhagen in mid May for three days. Flights (from Bristol! :) ) and a hotel booked :)

I have been in the dim and distant, to both Copenhagen AND Christiana as it goes, but the visit was very short and I was only 15 at the time (with my brother and Danish cousins, cousins who've moved away from Copenhagen and who I've now more or less lost contact with).

Is beer and food expensive?

Can any visitors (hopefully recent) or people who've stayed/lived in either place give me ideas, recommendations, etc about what to expect?

I've been reading up on Christiana online. Looks like the place is quite a visitor attraction :eek: these days, and that the threat of eviction that I was hearing of a few years back has been lifted for the time being.

All thoughts welcome.

Back
Top Bottom