Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Convert digital RCA input into line for DJ mixer?

sim667

All aboard the 303 bus.
So here goes an odd question but I’m hoping someone will be able to help. Basically I have a DJ setup with 2 x Denon SC5000’s, and 2 x 1210’s run through a pioneer DJM800….. this outputs to a pair of active speakers.

Then next to this I have a hifi unit with separates, one cd (well dvd really) player and a chromecast audio running into an amp and then to a pair of old passive speakers.

On the DJM800 there’s 4 x digital RCA inputs all taken up by the denons, and then 4 x line inputs taken up by the 1210’s…..

What I want to do is to get rid of the amp into storage, get rid of the old passive speakers and run the chromecast and cd player through the DJM800 and just use the monitors for listening, it frees up a lot of space and I live in a small house.

However I’d obviously need to convert the digital output to a line level input for it to run into the free spots on the two channels. Does anyone know if there’s adapters in existence that makes this possible?

Slightly confused as to what you want to do. You have 2 phono sources (the 1210’s - these should not be going into a line input), and then 2 line sources (the CD player and chrome cast), then 2 digital sources (the Denons).

IIRC your mixer has 4 channels, so you’ll have to change input source on them depending what you want to hear (and possibly channel gain to compensate), but it should have enough inputs for this.

Unless I’ve misunderstood what you’re trying to do :hmm:

Slightly confused as to what you want to do. You have 2 phono sources (the 1210’s - these should not be going into a line input), and then 2 line sources (the CD player and chrome cast), then 2 digital sources (the Denons).

IIRC your mixer has 4 channels, so you’ll have to change input source on them depending what you want to hear (and possibly channel gain to compensate), but it should have enough inputs for this.

Unless I’ve misunderstood what you’re trying to do :hmm:
I might have the names mixed up between line and analog etc.

Basically four channel mix both have digital and analog red and white cable input on all channels. The four digital inputs are used up and I want to run a digital input into the the analog spare channels on the mixer.

Basically I need the opposite of a preamp I think.

Although you’ll have switch the little source switches for the line/digital on the back according to what you want, when you want it. Not ideal but not impossible.

2DFA184D-A6A1-462C-BC3F-FAC574D99AF3.jpeg

So it’s not quite as I remember it but it’s been ages. So on channel 1,2,3,4 all the ones that are marked “line” or “cd” have the denons plugged into the, then the ones marked phono on 1 & 4 have turntables plugged in, 2 also has something plugged into on phono which I think may be the cable for my dub siren, which is currently unplugged, so I need to trace that cable back and find out what it is….. but I can just plug in the dub siren as and when I need it.

I don’t think I can run a digital input into phono though can I?

28DCD2AF-BC6A-481F-B264-EFE8C13F3738.jpeg

So the yellow ports on the back of my denons to the digital ports on the back of the mixer?

That’s brilliant if so I could have everything plugged in without playing swapsies

You might want to have a think how you wire the digital inputs. I’d do this:

1 - Denon 1 layer A
2 - Denon 2 layer A
3 - Denon 1 layer B
4 - Denon 2 layer B

That way you could mix with 2 physical Denons and 2 1210’s at once, rather than being stuck with 2 1210’s and only one physical Denon using the 2 layers.

That make sense?

Yeah it does. Thanks for your help.

I’m getting a feedback buzz from the cd player though so I’m gonna test the chromecast and if that’s the same I’ll buy a ground loop and test that.

Yeah it does. Thanks for your help.

I’m getting a feedback buzz from the cd player though so I’m gonna test the chromecast and if that’s the same I’ll buy a ground loop and test that.

CD player? it's 2023 now mate, time to move on.

Sorted it. Where my cd player is actually a dvd player I’d plugged the audio cables into the red and yellow output rather than red and white, because I couldn’t quite see behind it.

All working. I just want to set up my dub siren and theremin now and then that should be everything (the connections I use on the mixer are still free anyway, I just need to find the plugs for them)

Sorted it. Where my cd player is actually a dvd player I’d plugged the audio cables into the red and yellow output rather than red and white, because I couldn’t quite see behind it.

All working. I just want to set up my dub siren and theremin now and then that should be everything (the connections I use on the mixer are still free anyway, I just need to find the plugs for them)

Doomsday-DJ-Main-digitaldjtips.com_-768x410.jpg

I've been listening through my CDs while converting them so I can pass on most to charity shops.

I just can’t be bothered.

My uncle got rid of 2000 of his cd’s and has slowly been rebuying them.

Anyway the only thing I’m missing is the 9v DC adapter for the widara theremin which I’m sure will be an absolute pain in the arse to replace 🤦‍♂️

I also find it hard to part with CDs. There are so many mixes, compilations and so on which are not available digitally.

That said, I have de-cased them and they're all in a massive wallet now.

Back
Top Bottom