Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Confess your literary ignorance

I've read six Bukowski - three are superb, one is okay and two were fucking awful (Tales of Ordinary Madness is the worst book I've ever read)

Aint read that one. I've read four of the novels, some short story compilations and most of the poems - love his writing, he's hard to resist. The casual sexism doesnt bother me one bit. Women is my favourite one.

'Classics' i have no interest in reading (and have heard are bad): The Diceman, and Catch 22. Don't think I'll bother.

Yep. That and his last one, Pulp, is also really poor, sadly.

Ham on Rye
Factotum
Post Office

all brilliant.

Hollywood
Women

Worth reading after the three above. Not as good, but enjoyable.

Yep - those are the three superb. Women was the okay one, Notes From a Dirty Old Man the other awful one. I'll give Hollywood a go. I think I slightly resent the fact that he seems to bed one woman after another, despite being a bit of a revolting old pervy boozer whereas I get precious little action :(;)

'Classics' i have no interest in reading (and have heard are bad): The Diceman, and Catch 22. Don't think I'll bother.
I loved both of these, but I did read them when I was about 17 and less of a cynical old naus than I am now

I really think I should read Girlfriend in a coma and We need to talk about Kevin, but I have no intention of doing so.

Novels i would recommend to read before you die - and these are quite short - would be Lolita, A Clockwork Orange, and The Picture of Dorian Gray.

I really think I should read Girlfriend in a coma and We need to talk about Kevin, but I have no intention of doing so.
Girlfriend in a Coma okay, but Hey Nostradamus better. We Need to Talk About Kevin great after the first 100 pages which is turgid shit

For me to enjoy a book/film/play etc, I have to be able to imagine that what's being portrayed has happened or could happen. That the characters are real. It needs to be plausible, so for me, sci fi, horror, and most dystopian stuff doesn't work.

Im a bit like this. Really enjoyed Truman Capote's 'In Cold Blood' during summer - it's a journalistic novel about a murder that really happened. Some call it a 'non fiction novel.' Generally I prefer autobiographies to novels. Just ordered 'Lulu in Hollywood' - Louise Brooks writings (she was supposed to be an excellent writer and very unorthodox). Looking forward to reading it. Lulu In Hollywood: Expanded Edition: Louise Brooks: 9780816637317: Amazon.com: Books

571835.jpg

Last edited:
yes, I read Post Office and there's a really nasty rape scene in it. Bukowski's one of those writers who is difficult to separate from his narrators.
I know what you mean. I had a similar problem with Celine. I got a fair way into Journey to the end of the night, but in the end, I couldn't stomach the nasty casual racism and gave up.

Thinking again about that ultimately uber-conservative top 100 list, inevitably The Catcher in the Rye is in there. I reread that the other year, and I enjoyed it. It's about a spoit rich brat, but that's ok as long as it's done well, which it is. But comparing it now to Fante's Bandini trilogy, it's pretty shallow fare really. Fante's Bandini books peel back all the layers to expose what it is really like to be an angst-ridden teenager. He never makes any top-whatever list. Lots of great stuff doesn't, which is the problem with canons - in the end, they always expose the cultural and social prejudices of whoever is choosing the list, so they're not really 'canons' at all.

I've just had a realisation - I didn't know The Stranger and The Outsider by Camus were the same flipping book. When people have gone on about The Stranger I always say I haven't read it.
I read The Outsider so long ago and have such a bad memory I could have picked up The Stranger and read it again without realising.

I've just had a realisation - I didn't know The Stranger and The Outsider by Camus were the same flipping book. When people have gone on about The Stranger I always say I haven't read it.
I read The Outsider so long ago and have such a bad memory I could have picked up The Stranger and read it again without realising.
:D

I loved that book. It puzzled and intrigued me in equal measure. I should re-read it.

Exactly. Where's, What makes Sammy run? Sammy Glick is the fucker you love to hate, and the book is a great satire that was banned for years. Never makes these lists.

I'm living proof that you can get a degree in literature without ever having read Dickens or Jane Austen. And much else besides.

Camus is on my list. Hope its not too difficult.

Back
Top Bottom