Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Confess your literary ignorance

Have you seen the short 70's TV dramatisation of The Signalman with Denholm Elliott?
One of the most chilling things I have ever seen on screen.
My dad and I watch it nearly ever Christmas together :)

Oooohhh - A young Denholm Elliot!

I really think I should read Girlfriend in a coma and We need to talk about Kevin, but I have no intention of doing so.

I had very mixed views on We Need To Talk About Kevin.
I got the distinct feeling that I really wouldn't like Lionel Shriver herself as a person, dunno why.
Also, while I thought the book was very well thought out and well written in some respects, her use of language was so over the bloody top that I found myself reaching for the dictionary every five seconds.
That might be my own shortcomings but others have said similar.

I don't much either.
Mental health problems and the meds that I take make for very limited concentration most of the time. :(

You should try speed reading them on drugs. I can't remember a word but no-one can tell me I haven't sat down with Tolstoy for a few weeks. I'm sure I've read most of them......

My favourite author :)
In my top three too - although I have 4 of his to go - the Border Trilogy and the Orchard Keeper.

Blood Meridian is by far and away my favourite book - I often pick it up for a flick through and always am I taken with its beautiful stark brutality. The scene where the kid is riding with the Captain's men and first encounters the Indians, and they slaughter all but eight of them, is the most horrific in literature. Brett Easton Ellis eat your try-hard heart out

That is very sad. Quite scary that you say medication has stalled your reading.:eek:

It's not just medication but all together with anxiety and depression.
I am very glad to have found the Rivers of London books as they are light and easy enough to read to allow me to read for the first time in about 4/5 years.
But it still takes me months and months to finish one of those.

It's not just medication but all together with anxiety and depression.
I am very glad to have found the Rivers of London books as they are light and easy enough to read to allow me to read for the first time in about 4/5 years.
But it still takes me months and months to finish one of those.

If you find the meds are interfering with your concentration for basic things like reading a book, that is quite concerning. If the meds are exacerbating the other things, speak to your doctor about it. Limited concentration for reading, driving and basic things is quite a hefty price to pay for peace of mind. I hope you dont mind me saying, but make sure you are not over-medicated.

If you find the meds are interfering with your concentration for basic things like reading a book, that is quite concerning. If the meds are exacerbating the other things, speak to your doctor about it. Limited concentration for reading, driving and basic things is quite a hefty price to pay for peace of mind. I hope you dont mind me saying, but make sure you are not over-medicated.

I don't mind you saying at all but honestly it is a long running, on going issue.
My meds are a problem but they have also helped a lot.
I will PM so as not to derail this thread x

I don't mind you saying at all but honestly it is a long running, on going issue.
My meds are a problem but they have also helped a lot.
I will PM so as not to derail this thread x

Sure thing, that was my last post on it anyway. Back to thread X :)

Reading Flann O'Brien's books this year. He's revered as Ireland's greatest satirist (by pretty much anyone good in this country!) and wrote At Swim-Two Birds and The Third Policeman. He wrote some short stories too, some of which I have read: dark and funny as hell, religion-mocking, secular and brilliant. There's a compendium of his works in Easons (our main bookstore), for €20 i have had my eye on...went in the other day and it was gone. Will order it in.

If folks like Irish satire, i also recommend The Ginger Man, by JP Donleavy. Its so odd as its like the adventures of Henry Chinaski at Trinity College in the 1940's. A reluctant law student and waster who sits in the pub all day, chats up women and wanders around Dublin doing nothing. Lots of gambling, unpaid landladies, barefaced lying and chaos. Set in a superconservative Ireland where morals are turned on their heads. Wildly entertaining but cuts deep into you at every level. JP Donleavy is Irish American and this is his masterpiece (he's STILL living off its royalties in a big house in Westmeath). My friends partners Dad (a bit of a scoundrel himself, with great style) recommended it to me

The Ginger Man: Amazon.co.uk: J. P. Donleavy: 9780349108759: Books

Last edited:
In my top three too - although I have 4 of his to go - the Border Trilogy and the Orchard Keeper.

Blood Meridian is by far and away my favourite book - I often pick it up for a flick through and always am I taken with its beautiful stark brutality.

The Border Trilogy is a bit lighter, a signal of his move towards main stream acceptance which I can understand but wish he hadn't done.

I collect Mccarthy first editions :)

Reading Flann O'Brien's books this year. He's revered as Ireland's greatest satirist (by pretty much anyone good in this country!) and wrote At Swim-Two Birds and The Third Policeman. He wrote some short stories too, some of which I have read: dark and funny as hell, religion-mocking, secular and brilliant. There's a compendium of his works in Easons (our main bookstore), for €20 i have had my eye on...went in the other day and it was gone. Will order it in.

If folks like Irish satire, i also recommend The Ginger Man, by JP Donleavy. Its so odd as its like the adventures of Henry Chinaski at Trinity College in the 1940's. A reluctant law student and waster who sits in the pub all day, chats up women and wanders around Dublin doing nothing. Lots of gambling, unpaid landladies, barefaced lying and chaos. Set in a superconservative Ireland where morals are turned on their heads. Wildly entertaining but cuts deep into you at every level. JP Donleavy is Irish American and this is his masterpiece (he's STILL living off its royalties in a big house in Westmeath). My friends partners Dad (a bit of a scoundrel himself, with great style) recommended it to me

thought swift ireland's greatest satirist

I've never read any of the sports biographies my MIL gives me for Xmas.

I'm just not that interested in Freddie Flintoff, David Beckham etc

I got given a book about hermits for Christmas and am not sure whether to take it as an insult or what.

A mate of mine gave me a copy of Alex Ferguson's autobiography one xmas as a joke (I'm a Chelsea supporter).

It's published in big print and simple language so the average United supporter can understand it.

or the sainted oscar

good to see you decisive as ever
Well, at least i'm not a fan of Crowley's necrophilia poems.

Yea, thou art dead. Thy buttocks now
Are swan-soft, and thou sweatest not;
And hast a strange desire begot
In me, to lick thy bloody brow;

To gnaw thy hollow cheeks, and pull
Thy lustful tongue from out its sheath;
To wallow in the bowels of death,
And rip thy belly, and fill full

My hands with all putridities;
To chew thy dainty testicles;

:confused:

A typical night in for many urbanites

don't suppose you like rimbaud or baudelaire or verlaine or mallarmé or dowson or symons either. don't give a fuck what someone who so lauds the execrable austen thinks.

Back
Top Bottom