Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Confess your literary ignorance

It's hard to confess ignorance because that would be unknown unknowns. Tolkien is a known unknown.

DotCommunist did recently tell me to compare something with several sci fi writers I'd never even heard of. Unfortunately I can't remember who they were. But I hereby confess my ignorance. (It was during a conversation about the difference between science fiction and science fantasy).
asimov, egan, c clarke and KS Robinson vs I can't remember who I put here but brin and space opera in general

asimov, egan, c clarke and KS Robinson vs I can't remember who I put here but brin and space opera in general
Only one of those I've read is Egan. Great ideas. But I struggle with the writing. The coming together of great sci-fi ideas and a great writer seems to be a rare occurrence.

Olaf Stapledon is similar for me.

I've never read any big fat Russian novel. Too hard to keep track when there are three times as many names as characters, I've heard.

I hated The Master and Margarita, what a confusing book. Didn't do it for me at all. If i am gonna commit myself to reading 900 pages (okay well 350 for that particular one), i want to be able to follow it.

Last edited:
Only one of those I've read is Egan. Great ideas. But I struggle with the writing. The coming together of great sci-fi ideas and a great writer seems to be a rare occurrence.

Olaf Stapledon is similar for me.
I don't make the categories up but I can see some use in the descriptor 'hard SF' which is basically very science minded extrapolations as opposed to grand space operas about uplifted apes and spiders a la Brin or Tchaikovsky (no not that one).

bit like music mags sub genre naming all the time. Five minutes ago it was steampunk this, urban fantasy that. The new weird. Its a tricky line to draw between hard sf and science fantasy but I'd say faster than light automatically makes it fantasy, time travel also.

:thumbs:
I only have one more tip from my literary ignorance:
I have this on the shelf but not tried it yet - from the 30s USA - Bukowski rates it very very highly as an early US classic written with the modern tightness and seeming simplicity, or something....I havent read it so dont know... I like Bukowskis attitude to writing and language so it appeals to me ... hard times in depression era LA....

images

It's much better than Bukowski, John Fante is the man who inspired him to write.

can you expand on it then please?
It's quite easy to understand. He believes he has the wrong level of imagination for sci fi: that the amount of imagination he has is sub optimal in order to get the best of the genre. Either he thinks a lot of imagination is required in order to read sci fi, and he doesn't possess a lot, or he thinks only a little is required, but he has a lot.

Or perhaps not quantity, perhaps quality; he has the wrong quality of imagination. A different quality of imagination is required in order to get the most from sci fi.

It's quite easy to understand. He believes he has the wrong level of imagination for sci fi: that the amount of imagination he has is sub optimal in order to get the best for the genre. Either he thinks a lot of imagination is required in order to read sci fi, and he doesn't possess a lot, or he thinks only a little is required, but he has a lot.

Or perhaps not quantity, perhaps quality; he has the wrong quality of imagination. A different quality of imagination is required in order to get the most from sci fi.
that's not easy to understand! :D

It's much better than Bukowski, John Fante is the man who inspired him to write.
I'm a big fan of Bukowski, but I think I agree that Fante's better on some levels - a deeper level of honesty. You get the feeling Bukowski doesn't want to give Chinaski too hard a time or too bad a thought. Fante has no such qualms - the bits about Bandini's wanking exploits both rang very true for me ( :oops: ) and spared the character little.

Love to get my chops into Middlemarch.
George Eliot - lovely fella (& a reputable used car salesman).

I'm a big fan of Bukowski, but I think I agree that Fante's better on some levels - a deeper level of honesty. You get the feeling Bukowski doesn't want to give Chinaski too hard a time or too bad a thought. Fante has no such qualms - the bits about Bandini's wanking exploits both rang very true for me ( :oops: ) and spared the character little.

Yes, Ask the Dust is a beautiful gem of a book. Bandini's story 'The Little Dog Laughed' and putting on his suit in the morning is so bittersweet, my favourite kind of mood for a novel. And it's really sad and brilliant too, Camilla is the typical hotblooded fire and ice kind of woman he craves so badly. I would never describe Charles Bukowski as contrived, but John Fante is a much better writer. Bukowski's essay on the reason he became a writer is thanks to John Fante, is pretty amazing. I think he says that Fante, 'writes from the gut and the heart.' Which is true. The essay is here and well worth reading

Charles Bukowski Introduction to the John Fante Novel Ask the Dust

Yes, Ask the Dust is a beautiful gem of a book. Bandini's story 'The Little Dog Laughed' and putting on his suit in the morning is so bittersweet, my favourite kind of mood for a novel. And it's really sad and brilliant too, Camilla is the typical hotblooded fire and ice kind of woman he craves so badly. I would never describe Charles Bukowski as contrived, but John Fante is a much better writer. Bukowski's essay on the reason he became a writer is thanks to John Fante, is pretty amazing. I think he says that Fante, 'writes from the gut and the heart.' Which is true. The essay is here and well worth reading

Charles Bukowski Introduction to the John Fante Novel Ask the Dust
Will give that a read. Credit to Bukowski, though. If he hadn't banged on about how Fante is King all the time, I'd never have read Fante.

because you wrote it. i genuinely don't understand this imagination thing - you read so you can be entertained by someone else's imagination
Sometimes you can't imagine what they're on about, though. Too much suspension of disbelief might be required, for example. For example, I was put off Philip Pulman by the terms for fictional technology that litter the first pages of his trilogy. It was a huge turn off for me (that and the fecking daemon changing shape all the time. Give it a rest). I thought, "I'm off to read something less annoying, and frankly less like CS Lewis".

If spymaster were to say that's what he means about not possessing the correct imagination, then I'm entirely with him.

Will give that a read. Credit to Bukowski, though. If he hadn't banged on about how Fante is King all the time, I'd never have read Fante.

I heard of Fante from a work colleague. Like ska invita, i had it on my shelf for years but was so glad when i finally read it. A richly rewarding book

I've read six Bukowski - three are superb, one is okay and two were fucking awful (Tales of Ordinary Madness is the worst book I've ever read)
Yep. That and his last one, Pulp, is also really poor, sadly.

Ham on Rye
Factotum
Post Office

all brilliant.

Hollywood
Women

Worth reading after the three above. Not as good, but enjoyable.

Back
Top Bottom