Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Concorde supersonic aeroplane, 1976-2003

Considering booking the platinum tour at the Manchester Concorde - it’s £38 but among other things you get to see the nose cone droop. The regular tour is £16

But I have to wonder how long it may be able to do that as gradually the parts and perhaps the maintenance know how disappear. I am looking at going in June as I will be on holiday in Wales the week before.

NATO once hired one to play the part of Supersonic Russian bomber so the RAF and other could practice intercepting it.
Turns out it was Too fast!
most of the military planes with thestated high mach top speed thats only sustainable for very short periods of time Concorde could crusie at that speed making it a bugger to intercept.:D.
There is only one set of photos of a concorde at supersonic speed taken by a tornado going flat out Concorde was on a scheduled flight thing was an amazing feat of engineering not remotely practical or affordable but an amazing achievement

NATO once hired one to play the part of Supersonic Russian bomber so the RAF and other could practice intercepting it.
Turns out it was Too fast!
most of the military planes with thestated high mach top speed thats only sustainable for very short periods of time Concorde could crusie at that speed making it a bugger to intercept.:D.
There is only one set of photos of a concorde at supersonic speed taken by a tornado going flat out Concorde was on a scheduled flight thing was an amazing feat of engineering not remotely practical or affordable but an amazing achievement

Concorde had to slow down to let the Tornado catch up, bless it.

Concorde had to slow down to let the Tornado catch up, bless it.

Parallels - the Chinooks in Afghanistan had to slow down so the Apache's could keep up. More than once Wokka, the Mighty God of War, would arrive at the LZ, disgorge it's load of heroes to smite the enemy, and 5 minutes later the uglies would turn up like a wheezy fat boy with a note from matron.

Much slagging would ensue.

Parallels - the Chinooks in Afghanistan had to slow down so the Apache's could keep up. More than once Wokka, the Mighty God of War, would arrive at the LZ, disgorge it's load of heroes to smite the enemy, and 5 minutes later the uglies would turn up like a wheezy fat boy with a note from matron.

Much slagging would ensue.
and those were the wasteland ones with the uprated engines that cost twice what a regular Apache cost. turns out the engines were better in hot and high conditions. pity they were brought to fight the vast soviet hordes in west Germany famous for being neither hot or high :rolleyes: :facepalm: This time wastelands got chinned off as its cheaper to buy off Boeing

When I did the Concorde experience at Brooklands, the guide was explaining the challenges Rolls Royce faced when designing the Olympus engines, including the need to slow down the air entering the engine to subsonic speeds. It almost sounded as if RR developed the technology anew. Did I misunderstand? I mean, supersonic engines for military jets were already in existence.

Do military jet engines also need to slow down the airflow to subsonic?

Air Frances livery has aged well though.

Air France also has one of the best, if not the best first class cabins in the world, very much at the top of the game. Their business class is shite. Lufthansa also has top tier first and crap business, though they have just unveiled a new business class which will bring it in line with most carriers from circa 2010…

Air France also has one of the best, if not the best first class cabins in the world, very much at the top of the game. Their business class is shite. Lufthansa also has top tier first and crap business, though they have just unveiled a new business class which will bring it in line with most carriers from circa 2010…
Lol you must move in different circles, than me back in cattle class😉

Shit business class to make the first class seem bigger

Shit business class to make the first class seem bigger

BA does that, they really need to scrap first. AF and LH can offer something that is actually first class whilst still delivering a solid business class if they wish to, and Luftie will be doing just that, but BA is a bit of a pisstake, had three first class flights with them in the past 12 months and all had aspects that had you paid the full whack you’d be rightfully pissed off about.

Back
Top Bottom