Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Concorde supersonic aeroplane, 1976-2003

If Concorde was still airworthy, I wonder what the breakeven figure per passenger would be nowadays. I’m sure RR could trim the engines’ fuel consumption with current technology or know-how.

My point is that if it turns out the breakeven figure per pax is, say, 10k, you could clearly have no problem finding a hundred people per day happy to pay 16k for a Concorde seat. This is ignoring all the maintenance spares or noise complaints issues…

Maybe. Ignores that virtual meetings are so much better and easier now than when Concorde was around, if you absolutely needed to speak to someone the five hour advantage may not now be enough.

Not convinced there’s the demand.
How many people each day are flying London or Paris to NYC in full fare first class, as opposed to redemptions and discounted first class, across say 25-30 flights with different carriers at various times.

Is it even 100, I reckon it might be less? Would they all want to commit to flying at what would be only a couple of fixed times

Not convinced there’s the demand.
How many people each day are flying London or Paris to NYC in full fare first class, as opposed to redemptions and discounted first class, across say 25-30 flights with different carriers at various times.

Is it even 100, I reckon it might be less? Would they all want to commit to flying at what would be only a couple of fixed times
Oh, I’m sure Bahnhof Strasse will give you a far more accurate picture, but there are certainly shit loads of daily flights by at least four or five major airlines between London and NY. I suspect also plenty of Paris ones too.

Oh, I’m sure Bahnhof Strasse will give you a far more accurate picture, but there are certainly shit loads of daily flights by at least four or five major airlines between London and NY. I suspect also plenty of Paris ones too.

Yeah that’s my point the frequency is more important than the speed, must be around one an hour from Heathrow to New York.

Yeah that’s my point the frequency is more important than the speed, must be around one an hour from Heathrow to New York.
Oh I see. Still, the route was successful before as far as passenger demand was concerned.

I had seen the odd piece of footage onboard a Concorde flight, but this is a real-world 'trip report' by a passenger filmed with a camcorder.

Cool as fuck. If you don't want to watch the whole thing, you must at the least check out the take-off from 2:17. The speed whilst still on the runway is astonishing :cool:

I had seen the odd piece of footage onboard a Concorde flight, but this is a real-world 'trip report' by a passenger filmed with a camcorder.

Cool as fuck. If you don't want to watch the whole thing, you must at the least check out the take-off from 2:17. The speed whilst still on the runway is astonishing :cool:

250mph take off speed!

Double what roughly most planes rotate at, so I imagine you can feel the acceleration more sinking into your seat far more.

Presumably Concorde couldn't exceed 250kts under 10,000ft but I guess it had plenty of power to climb to that quick enough and accelerate again.
In the above video, I thought it unnecessary and silly that the author felt the need to add the disclaimer ‘this is not at x2 speed but real time footage’ just before takeoff. But then I watched Concorde accelerating on the runway and was utterly gobsmacked at how much faster it was compared with every subsonic plane I’ve been on :eek:

Maybe. Ignores that virtual meetings are so much better and easier now than when Concorde was around, if you absolutely needed to speak to someone the five hour advantage may not now be enough.
If you can afford to regularly use it at the kind of price it’d cost today you’re probably in the owning a private jet class…

I think thats the one at Duxford.

I was there a couple of weeks ago. Seem to remember there was something about that in the exhibit so I think you’re right.

The thing that most if us went wtf at was the escape hatches.

Yeah I’m jumping out of an aircraft doing Mach 2 just to become jam on the fuselage…

I imagine that wasn’t the original expectation of their use but that’s where our heads went. :D

IMG_1689.jpegIMG_1688.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom