Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Concorde supersonic aeroplane, 1976-2003

The chap mentioned there was a computer (the only digital one, the rest were analogue) in Concorde which was removed by the RAF after it got decommissioned and that this related to the engines. So I reckon the same technology yeah.

I think I am right in saying Concorde’s RR Olympus engines were the first to feature afterburners in any non-military aircraft. But another fact that is regularly mentioned in Concorde documentaries is that RR had to come up with a design to slow down the speed at which air entered the engines to below supersonic.

That wasn’t a first, was it? I mean, surely the know-how to slow down airflow must have already existed, since supersonic military aircraft were already in operation? The documentaries I’ve seen made it sound like RR conjured up a new technology, but surely all pre-existing supersonic military engines would have faced the same physical challenges…
The air intake engineering was complex and novel, it might as well be rocket science; there weren't and aren't many aircraft that can do supercruise (supersonic cruise without afterburners), and there were other commercial requirements too like economics, predictability & reliability that you might escape some of in a military setting.

Apols if this has been posted before but it's an amazing tale:

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to chase a solar eclipse at supersonic speeds? In this video, we delve into the incredible story of how scientists in 1973 used Concorde, the legendary supersonic airliner, to extend their time in the Moon's shadow during one of the longest solar eclipses in history. Led by French astrophysicist Pierre Lena and piloted by Concorde test pilot Andre Turcat, this daring mission pushed the boundaries of aviation and scientific exploration. Join us as we uncover the fascinating journey of how a

I think I am right in saying Concorde’s RR Olympus engines were the first to feature afterburners in any non-military aircraft. But another fact that is regularly mentioned in Concorde documentaries is that RR had to come up with a design to slow down the speed at which air entered the engines to below supersonic.

That wasn’t a first, was it? I mean, surely the know-how to slow down airflow must have already existed, since supersonic military aircraft were already in operation? The documentaries I’ve seen made it sound like RR conjured up a new technology, but surely all pre-existing supersonic military engines would have faced the same physical challenges…

Yeah, the A-5 had variable inlet ramps in the 50s.

They actually touched on this during the tour - highlighting how the Comets were very different aircraft with a frankly terrible safety record, and how this informed the Concorde development, to the extent that it was tested 5 times as much as modern planes.

I have heard that because they have a Comet, Concorde and a Vulcan. NMS at East Fortune have been seeking to develop a triple aircraft exhibition on how each one pushed the envelope of aircraft design in their time and how the development of one influenced the others.

Would love to see the mayhem that ensued on the beach!
Great point. I know the local authorities don’t (or didn’t use to until recently) prevent local beachgoers from getting the hairdryer experience from departing aircraft. But surely they must have made an exception with Concorde :D

I’m sure I’m going to embarrass myself horribly, but are these actual drawings from real consideration of the Concorde for military use?

Concorde was originally a military project and some of the preliminary/prototype aircraft designs that paved its way were smaller military development projects.

Although it wasn't this one:

C2FKUR4WgAADpKy.jpg

This was just a bit of puff for the RAF Yearbook!

The Avro 730 was the RAF's planned supersonic nuclear bomber and although it was cancelled in 1957 in favour of the TSR2, the one bit of it that did fly eventually was as Concorde's tail!

The original design case for Concorde intended for its being used as a fast transport aircraft as part of a colonial-era rapid-reaction force but by the time it became reality and was too far down the road to cancel, both Britain and France were shedding colonies at a great rate and Britain's abandonment of its east of Aden military policy in 1968 put an end to any serious consideration for its military use, so it became a civilian airliner instead.

The RAF however remained heavily involved in its development and testing, even after it had entered commercial service.

is this SST? the nose isn't tipped down.

View attachment 422883

Do you mean the Boeing SST?

67488973_10156520069877291_6695326858768023552_n.jpg

The original Boeing SST was a much larger, more complex design compared to Concorde. With a double-droop nose and swing wings. Also a passing resemblance to the configuration of the XB-70 Bomber, which was derived from the same original design study

There is footage here of the original mockup, from 2:23 which had a working nose

As the design progressed, the swing wings were dropped for a more Concorde-like delta and a one piece nose:

25-23738021_10208848965176475_149533082644534408_o-1024x877.jpg

And that, or a large part of it, incl the nose/cockpit ended-up in a church for quite some years..!

The original Boeing SST was a much larger, more complex design compared to Concorde. With a double-droop nose and swing wings. Also a passing resemblance to the configuration of the XB-70 Bomber, which was derived from the same original design study

sweeet
painty job helps imo.

There is footage here of the original mockup, from 2:23 which had a working nose

As the design progressed, the swing wings were dropped for a more Concorde-like delta and a one piece nose:

25-23738021_10208848965176475_149533082644534408_o-1024x877.jpg

And that, or a large part of it, incl the nose/cockpit ended-up in a church for quite some years..!

Let's be honest the whole reason the US banned Concorde over land was because they didn't manage to get the Boeing off the ground. If there was a US SST sonic booms wouldnt have been a problem.

Let's be honest the whole reason the US banned Concorde over land was because they didn't manage to get the Boeing off the ground. If there was a US SST sonic booms wouldnt have been a problem.

the sonic booms weren't a problem for "the US", they were a problem for those living near airports.

Sonic booms were a problem for the US. They had already paid-out a small but not inconsequential number of claims for damage as a result of the XB-70 test flights and the Mach-3 target speed of the Boeing SST had the potential for more serious/damaging boomage than the Mach-2 target of Concorde, which in the US's estimation would mainly be flying over open sea - At that time, they estimated that the first generation US SSTs wouldn't have the range to operate transatlantic flights, so Concorde would get that market, with the Boeings flying transcontinental routes

There were also serious qualms about the pollution involved but although those were initially dismissed as inconsequential, further legal actions resulted in the ban on transcontinental flights, which were only later extended to exclude Concorde as well.

Back
Top Bottom