Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Concorde supersonic aeroplane, 1976-2003

I remember how Concorde always drew attention when she flew overhead. Few aircraft have had that charisma. It didn't matter whether it was the first or hundredth time she flew past, people always looked. A 747? So what? But Concorde...

A380s are pretty impressive when they fly over you at low level but yeah, Concorde was the business. As small kids we used to stop and point at it and shout CONCOOOOOORDE! Like we were demented, and in the 70s and 80s we’d see one pretty much every day.

A380s are pretty impressive when they fly over you at low level but yeah, Concorde was the business. As small kids we used to stop and point at it and shout CONCOOOOOORDE! Like we were demented, and in the 70s and 80s we’d see one pretty much every day.
Yep, used to pass over Croydon every evening at 5 to 6pm and I often then realised it was time to start cooking tea!

The morning flights to New York used to coincide with our morning school breaks so we were often in the playground when it went out. We thought it was very special.

It was known as “The Concorde” and it was actually quite a few years before I found out there were more than one of them.

I stopped in the Best Western on Bath Road near Heathrow for a week once (though it wasn't called that then). It's roughly about level with the end of the runway where the planes start their takeoff run. The noise when Concorde was getting ready to go was in a whole different league from that of any other aircraft.

I stopped in the Best Western on Bath Road near Heathrow for a week once (though it wasn't called that then). It's roughly about level with the end of the runway where the planes start their takeoff run. The noise when Concorde was getting ready to go was in a whole different league from that of any other aircraft.
When I first was living in Weybridge it was possible to drive very close to the runway. That was always a fun thing to do when aircraft were taking off.

When I first was living in Weybridge it was possible to drive very close to the runway. That was always a fun thing to do when aircraft were taking off.

This: Google Maps used to be a through road down to Hatton Cross, they used to drag aircraft from the East Base to the main part of the airport, I drove over every working day for around 6 years, at least once a week it seemed they would drag a Concorde across, when you saw the lights start to flash you never minded stopping...

Last edited:
Used to go right over us in Bristol just after midday, every day. Always looked up at it, distinctive shape in the sky, could hear it too. We also got occasional low passes coming out of Filton when on test flights.

I can remember stopping on the Heathrow ring road as the evening New York Concorde came in. It never seemed so stable slowing down for landing with its snoot drooped :) Well worth risking the ire of the Heathrow security forces !!

I can remember stopping on the Heathrow ring road as the evening New York Concorde came in. It never seemed so stable slowing down for landing with its snoot drooped :) Well worth risking the ire of the Heathrow security forces !!
Public road? None of airport security's business?

It's only in the last 20-30 years that airport security has become serious. As teenagers we used to play cricket in Stanwell, on a ground that is now under Terminal 4. Every now and then a ball got knocked over the flimsy chain link fence into the airport and we just climbed over to get it back.

What a beauty!

4-Concordes-in-formation.jpg

Air-France-Concorde-Formation.jpg

56047f279dd7cc21008bcf52

fkzd8jhl4jw71.jpg

I was once on a plane on the LHR taxiway, waiting our turn to depart, and Concorde was a couple of planes ahead of us. When she started the takeoff run, the noise we felt even inside our pressurised plane was awesome, as was seeing the afterburners glow in the fading light :)

This: Google Maps used to be a through road down to Hatton Cross, they used to drag aircraft from the East Base to the main part of the airport, I drove over every working day for around 6 years, at least once a week it seemed they would drag a Concorde across, when you saw the lights start to flash you never minded stopping...
I remember it well. Several bus routes went down that road, and being on the top deck watching the aircraft being towed across the road was great.

I has floweded it. I was at a party in Manchester Airport and they left the keys in it. Me and a friend slipped security and just went for it.

Took me ages to figure out where the clutch was.

20161020_125637.jpg

Getting it out of the garage was the hardest bit because I was a bit bevved up but once you're in the air you just press a couple of buttons and it does it all itself. I went for a poo in the Queens loo as well and flushed it out over Old Trafford.

20161020_125020.jpg

As you can see my reversing it back in was blob on.

Back
Top Bottom