Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Concorde supersonic aeroplane, 1976-2003

Tokyo to Europe was always day flights, except Air France who had an overnighter, also one from Osaka.

This is why she dumped me...
Still is I think, my former colleague who spent a lot of weeks in Japan used to fly via Frankfurt as that was a midnight departure from Tokyo and got him back to the UK by 9am

Tokyo to Europe was always day flights, except Air France who had an overnighter, also one from Osaka.

This is why she dumped me...
Ah, I guess I got it mixed up withHong Kong. Before the A380 arrived they would fly two 747s/ 777s within half hour of each other into London, which IIRC were about the first flights allowed in- at least when I did it.

I can't believe I missed this thread, I think my dad worked as a riveter on some of them when he was at BAC.

Also I think they tested a prototype using a military runway near where I lived when I was little, which I got to see.

Details are fuzzy however.
Sounds like Filton, near Bristol ?

Sounds like Filton, near Bristol ?

I know they did much of the UK Concorde stuff in Filton but it wouldn't have been that my dad was involved in, he worked for BAC (previously Vickers) in Weybridge I think? And we lived in Farnborough/Aldershot area.

For Concorde, there is always Brooklands, which is only down in Surrey. Great Museum Concorde Experience | Brooklands Museum
and loads of other stuff for before & after your "flight".

The extra fiver or whatever it is for the "Concorde" trip is a good investment, it is a very enjoyable & interesting time [I do hate that "experience" tag that is so often mis-used by the marketing depts]

I like Brooklands enough to have become a member as we regularly attend events there; American day, AutoItalia, classics, buses, Etc.
The way the areas are laid out and utilizing garages and workshops from back in the day, it's a delight.

and loads of other stuff for before & after your "flight".

The extra fiver or whatever it is for the "Concorde" trip is a good investment, it is a very enjoyable & interesting time [I do hate that "experience" tag that is so often mis-used by the marketing depts]
Mrs Bassjunkie suggested to me at the weekend that we take the children to the Robin Hood Experience in Nottingham. I was suspicious "What does that consist of?".

She knows me well, she grinned and said "Enforced fun!".

I know they did much of the UK Concorde stuff in Filton but it wouldn't have been that my dad was involved in, he worked for BAC (previously Vickers) in Weybridge I think? And we lived in Farnborough/Aldershot area.

IIRC, Concorde fuselages were built at Weybridge, then delivered to Filton for final assembly and a significant amount of work on the engines was done at the Pyestock turbine research establishment, nr Farnborough a few miles away.

Several RAF bases were used in testing the prototypes, Odiham and Yeovilton come to mind but there were more.

IIRC, Concorde fuselages were built at Weybridge, then delivered to Filton for final assembly and a significant amount of work on the engines was done at the Pyestock turbine research establishment, nr Farnborough a few miles away.

Several RAF bases were used in testing the prototypes, Odiham and Yeovilton come to mind but there were more.

Right that would have been what he worked on at Weybridge then! Thank you for providing the details, the information I had retained was a bit fuzzy. I'll have to ask him about it next time I see him in person :)

He was employed as an aircraft fitter there for quite a while, specifically doing riveting, he had previously been a jockey and was very small so his usual specialty was crawling into the wings to do the rivets inside them or something like that? He's been a bit deaf most of his life due to the noise from doing that.

My mate did his apprenticeship in the early sixties at BAC Weybridge, he was a machine tool fitter there.
He talks lovingly of his time there, especially as the area he worked in backed onto Brooklands.
He says it was great to work in such a historical environment. This was topped when he finished his apprenticeship and was presented with his certificates by Barnes Wallis.

Concorde in NY

1645717683261.png

According to the official Concorde site, the plane measured 204ft in length but – and this is the amazing bit – the plane stretched between six and ten inches further in-flight due to the heating of the airframe.

To stop all the paint peeling off , the clever clogs techie folks created a special white paint that was super flexible.

Concorde in NY

View attachment 311696

I love the Intrepid museum. A concord, a space shuttle- though not one that flew in space - and loads of cool aeroplanes on an actual aircraft carrier.

I miss New York…

I went on a trip with Business Studies students in 2009 and got up close and personal with a retired Concorde at Manchester Airport. What astounded me was how small the thing is.

Attachments

• Manchester 003.jpg
    Manchester 003.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Manchester 036.jpg
    Manchester 036.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 8
  • Manchester 037.jpg
    Manchester 037.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Manchester 048.jpg
    Manchester 048.jpg