Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Commoners Rights (legal thing) - has anybody got a clue about this?

bimble

Try this biological survey. Get your filters down to 'Rights of estovers' which is.........

estovers
/ɪˈstəʊvəz,ɛˈstəʊvəz/

noun
historical•British
plural noun: estovers
  1. the right to take wood from land one does not own, especially land of which one is the tenant or lessee.

For example:

COMMONCDCountyDistrictNumber of Commons in RegistersRegistration AuthorityVice-county code numberDate Survey visitRights of estovers recorded in registers
60037​
West YorkshireKirklees
37​
West Riding
63​
05.08.96y
60039​
West YorkshireKirklees
39​
West Riding
63​
18.07.96y
60040​
West YorkshireKirklees
40​
West Riding
63​
05.08.96y
60124​
West YorkshireKirklees
124​
West Riding
63​
19.07.96y
60125​
West YorkshireKirklees
125​
West Riding
63​
05.08.96y
60455​
West YorkshireKirklees
455​
West Riding
63​
18.07.96y
60484​
West YorkshireKirklees
484​
West Riding
63​
18.07.96y
60485​
West YorkshireKirklees
485​
West Riding
63​
07.08.96y
60486​
West YorkshireKirklees
486​
West Riding
63​
18.07.96y
60532​
West YorkshireKirklees
532​
West Riding
63​
05.08.96y

Some of the pygmy goats can be massively entertaining, even so. My friends would like some.

[too wall or fence climby for here, we have a Faaaast road outside, the feds have a speed camera trap just long from me, 80 to 90 mph not uncommon on a 60 by johhny rep in his beamer - with a couple of places as low as a 40 limit]
Should be alright. I don't think goats can run that fast. ;)

bimble

Try this biological survey. Get your filters down to 'Rights of estovers' which is.........

estovers
/ɪˈstəʊvəz,ɛˈstəʊvəz/

noun
historical•British
plural noun: estovers
  1. the right to take wood from land one does not own, especially land of which one is the tenant or lessee.

For example:

COMMONCDCountyDistrictNumber of Commons in RegistersRegistration AuthorityVice-county code numberDate Survey visitRights of estovers recorded in registers
60037​
West YorkshireKirklees
37​
West Riding
63​
05.08.96y
60039​
West YorkshireKirklees
39​
West Riding
63​
18.07.96y
60040​
West YorkshireKirklees
40​
West Riding
63​
05.08.96y
60124​
West YorkshireKirklees
124​
West Riding
63​
19.07.96y
60125​
West YorkshireKirklees
125​
West Riding
63​
05.08.96y
60455​
West YorkshireKirklees
455​
West Riding
63​
18.07.96y
60484​
West YorkshireKirklees
484​
West Riding
63​
18.07.96y
60485​
West YorkshireKirklees
485​
West Riding
63​
07.08.96y
60486​
West YorkshireKirklees
486​
West Riding
63​
18.07.96y
60532​
West YorkshireKirklees
532​
West Riding
63​
05.08.96y
I can't make the link open , is it me or your link?

The longer the better really. It’ll depend on the size and how wet they are.
Around 1-1.5inch diameter and they’ve been out for nearly a year, on a verge 🤓 Next door got the trees along our back lane pollarded and the smaller bits got left out. I’ll just try it and see. Shit either doesn’t light at all or smokes a lot if it’s too wet, right? I’m just excited to join #firepits4lyfe 🔥

Probably should have watched Heartbeat but I never did.Like my father before me I am in the habit of nicking wood so to speak.By which I mean that if a bough has fallen from a tree into a public road,or as more often happens,onto the grass at the side of the road I will sally forth with my classic chainsaw and have it for firewood.I like to think of this as gleaning from Council-owned land.As to whether it is legal or not I have no idea.

Around 1-1.5inch diameter and they’ve been out for nearly a year, on a verge 🤓 Next door got the trees along our back lane pollarded and the smaller bits got left out. I’ll just try it and see. Shit either doesn’t light at all or smokes a lot if it’s too wet, right? I’m just excited to join #firepits4lyfe 🔥
Sounds like they need to be dried a bit. Get an axe and split some into thinner bits too. Start small and build up to get the fire going :thumbs:

If I remember right bimble , you live in a house on National Trust land. I used to work for the National Trust at Hatfield Forest, and there were some sort of Commoners' Rights attached to the two cottages there. I can't remember the details, but maybe talking to whoever from the NT is responsible for your property would help.

From memory, there is a whole range of Commoners' Rights, but which particular ones you have depends on local customs, so for instance you might have the right to keep sheep but not pigs, or the right to gather fallen wood but not cut it from the trees.

Be interesting to hear what you find out.

It’s the NT who sent the police round to my neighbours so if there are such rights (the wood gathering kind) they probably don’t know about it. I will find out though.
eta on the other hand, maybe they do know very well, and maybe we do have some rights, but what neighbour has been doing was way outside of those parameters (he's been driving about at night with his chainsaw and lopping great chunks off things, fallen things but still, for years, massive & obvious).

Last edited:
I will not be satisfied until i'm in a dusty corner of some council building somewhere with a giant old ledger that confirms it but i do reckon that its us, the three properties listed in 5t3IIa 's database as having "The right of estovers includes 'heybote, woodbote, furze, gorse, fern and underwood’."
(there's 3 houses here in a sort of clump, with no others around )

farmerbarleymow don't be sad at my "Geese are noisy, vicious bastards". They undeniably are. But that's not to say there isn't a place for noisy, vicious bastards in the world. It's just not as pets. More like if your enemies are a vicious crime gang or some such.

Back
Top Bottom