Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Comic books/graphic novels suitable for children (8/9)

Shippou-Sensei bring your manga brain to bear on this problem

I hear and obey...

I think that if the kid likes the punchy fighty stuff then there is a glut of shounen stuff. The one problem might be tone. some of it can get a bit dark or violent. Fine for say 12+ but for 8/9 i think it may be a PG rating att least.

a bunch of this stuff is online so i'll post a link to some of the more popular ones

One Piece Manga - pirate themed stuff. main character has rubber based superpowers. very big on the idea of comrades (how do you translate nakama?)
Naruto Manga - ninjas, ninjas everywhere
Dragon Ball Manga - old school stuff
InuYasha Manga - well i kinda had to include this one because of my name.

Shoujo stuff is good too

Cardcaptor Sakura Manga - As tomoyo would say "sakura-chan suteki desu wa"

My kid has just been given a copy of a comic called The Phoenix, which sounds like it might be the kind of thing you're looking for. Quite expensive though!

It can be if you only buy it from a shop - The Beano has a cover price of £2.50, The Phoenix is £3.25 (though has better quality paper) - broadly the same ballpark, though.

On the other hand, The Phoenix is only available from relatively few retail outlets compared to The Beano; it also has more continuing stories, whereas The Beano is standalone humour stories each issue, so can be more of an impulse or occasional puchase.

If you subscribe, there are good deals for both.

With The Beano you can get a quarterly sub (direct debit only) for £17, giving you 13 issues each three months - works out at £1.33/issue. Or you can pre-pay for six months, one year or two years (that's £40/£1.54, £75/£1.44 or £135/£1.30).

With The Phoenix a rolling month-by-month direct debit sub is £9.99 (about £2.30/issue), but with the offer front-loaded: the first four issues only cost you £1, and you can cancel before the first tenner is taken if you don't want to carry on.

A quarterly sub is £34.99 (£2.69/issue), and a year-long one is £109.99 (£2.12/issue).

Subscribe to Beano Comic - Beano
Choose your Subscription - The Phoenix Comic

My daughter is 9.5 She reads and enjoys. . .
Inu Yasha
Ranma
The Hilda books
Adventure Time / Marceline (etc)
Keroro Gunso
Assassination Classroom
Urusei Yatsura
Dragonball

Theres not much western stuff she will touch, which is a shame as I have shit loads. She has recently taken to reading off an ipad thingy.

And if you don't want to subscribe to The Phoenix, there's a goodly number of collected albums of various stories:

Product Categories Comic Books Archive - The Phoenix Comic

Bunny Vs Monkey is insane brilliance from Jamie Smart, who did the excellent (more adult-oriented) indie title Bear before getting gigs at The Dandy and The Beano and elsewhere (he did the Where's Wally?-style ‘Dr Who’ picture book)

Bristol's Etherington Brothers are responsible for the cryptic puzzle adventures of Von Doogan - rendered in a a beautifully quirky take on the ligne claire style. They also do Long Gone Don, a surprisingly dark-at-heart continuing story about a post-death afterlife world.

Then there's Adam Murphy's biographical history strips Corpse Talk - a surprise hit in this house.

Mega Robo Bros is pretty engaging - dickish robot siblings adopted by a Muslim woman scientist (mentioned only because that is clearly not the ‘norm’ in fiction; yet it is entirely unremarked upon and unremarkable in the story) in a future Britain.

Out of leftfield come things like Evil Emperor Penguin and Star Cat, both pleasingly silly stories.

Always worth checking for cheaper/second hand copies of the various albums in the usual online places.

And if you don't want to subscribe to The Phoenix, there's a goodly number of collected albums of various stories:

Product Categories Comic Books Archive - The Phoenix Comic

Bunny Vs Monkey is insane brilliance from Jamie Smart, who did the excellent (more adult-oriented) indie title Bear before getting gigs at The Dandy and The Beano and elsewhere (he did the Where's Wally?-style ‘Dr Who’ picture book)

Bristol's Etherington Brothers are responsible for the cryptic puzzle adventures of Von Doogan - rendered in a a beautifully quirky take on the ligne claire style. They also do Long Gone Don, a surprisingly dark-at-heart continuing story about a post-death afterlife world.

Then there's Adam Murphy's biographical history strips Corpse Talk - a surprise hit in this house.

Mega Robo Bros is pretty engaging - dickish robot siblings adopted by a Muslim woman scientist (mentioned only because that is clearly not the ‘norm’ in fiction; yet it is entirely unremarked upon and unremarkable in the story) in a future Britain.

Out of leftfield come things like Evil Emperor Penguin and Star Cat, both pleasingly silly stories.

Always worth checking for cheaper/second hand copies of the various albums in the usual online places.

Thanks Dave for doing the hard work for me :D We love the Phoenix in this house and my 8yo has tons of the collections mentioned above - Bunny vs Monkey, Star Cat, MRB, Long Gone Don, Corpse Talk, plus Mo-Bot High, Baggage...all good.

Other things he's liked include Space Dumplins by Craig Thompson and various DC bits (Teen Titans Go, Batman, The Flash).

Back
Top Bottom