Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Comic books/graphic novels suitable for children (8/9)

billy_bob

Air of bewilderment model's own
bob_jr loves comics and cartoons. He's read all of Tintin and Asterix, and loves the Beano and the cartoon bits of books like Wimpy Kid and Captain Underpants. The Beano's a bit shit though, and I'd like to be able to get him something longer-form. I don't think he's quite ready for Maus, Ghost World or the work of Alan Moore though.

I've been recommended some of the less dark superhero stuff by Forbidden Planet (the Flash, Avengers vs. X-Men) but I don't think he's particularly mad on superheroes (which is why I've started this thread instead of just reading this one, pogofish).

Any suggestions?

My nine year old likes the adventure time comics, inu yasha, keroro and various Japanese comic books (there are loads for kids that age). She also liked the Hilda books.

She won't touch any of my Alan Moore or any of my old 2000ad stuff.

By the time I was 9 I'd torn through Charley's War and moved on to Judge Dredd cos I recognised "Pat Mills" on the cover of 2000AD (although Judge Death scared the bejesus out of me). Judgement call on whether you reckon it's appropriate or not I guess...

Charley's War is, as far as I'm aware, pretty well researched (if perhaps a tad political, but hey it's Pat Mills :)), but especially relevant what with now being 100 years later and shortly before remembrance day. It was the depiction in Charley's War that made me realise why remembrance day was so important (as opposed to what I'd learned of WWI from history books) because it really brought the abject despairing horror to life and what those poor sods had actually gone though. Proud owner of the rather exquisite hardback volumes.

But yeah... you'll want to have something a bit more light hearted on hand as well.

light hearted holocaust fable done with rodents Maus perhaps

I've shown him it and explained what it's about, actually. The holocaust is part of my own family history, and I think Maus is a better way in to understanding this than the way they 'do' WWII/Nazis at school. But maybe two or three years down the line!

That age; I was still into Marvel; the 70s output - Planet of the Apes, Hulk, Spiderman, Dracula etc, Doctor Who comics and 2000AD. And Asterix and Tintin, of course. Has he read the other Herge books? Jo, Zette & Jocko?

bob_jr loves comics and cartoons. He's read all of Tintin and Asterix, and loves the Beano and the cartoon bits of books like Wimpy Kid and Captain Underpants. The Beano's a bit shit though, and I'd like to be able to get him something longer-form. I don't think he's quite ready for Maus, Ghost World or the work of Alan Moore though.

I've been recommended some of the less dark superhero stuff by Forbidden Planet (the Flash, Avengers vs. X-Men) but I don't think he's particularly mad on superheroes (which is why I've started this thread instead of just reading this one, pogofish).

Any suggestions?
camelot 3000

Capture.JPG

the boys

The-Boys_Volume_One.jpg

Not a comic but if he likes the cartoon bits of wimpy kid, has he read any of the Tom Gates books?

Thanks for that - he's ploughed through Wimpy Kid and the various knock-off versions (Barry Loser, Timmy Failure) so a book recommendation is welcome too!

oh and people may scoff but Garfield is still funny wether you are 7 or 72

No scoffing from me. I read pretty much every Garfield book available when I was 10/11/12 and still have many of them. I never tire of his solution when Jon's car breaks down in the middle of nowhere and it's getting dark: shaking Jon by the neck and shouting 'MAKE IT GO!!!'

Any suggestions?
Lucky Luke - Wikipedia

Herge did a number of non-tintin books that are worth seeking out (although probably not in print) - I really enjoyed the adventures of job, zette and jocko.

Herge did a number of non-tintin books that are worth seeking out (although probably not in print) - I really enjoyed the adventures of job, zette and jocko.

Indeed, as I suggested earlier :)

Oh and yes, Valley of the Cobras, Mr Pump's Legacy & Destination New York are all available on amazon for around £8 each.

Back
Top Bottom