Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Colleague- possible charity scammer

Let us not leap into judgement, perhaps it did go to church.

If she never comes back to work I'd say guilty. I mean if you were guilty this would be about the time ytou realised the game was up. Time to take in some scottish air maybe, perhaps spain.

My manager kind of shirked it, so me and a colleague got the address off the Children in need website to obtain the certificate and I emailed it to the team, saying we could display the certificate.

She replied, just to me, and I quote

"As I have already given the money in a lady at church and she has paid it with hers and two other person
I did not think I can get a certificate"

That's about as convincing as a giraffe in dark glasses trying to get into a Polar Bears only nightclub.

It stinks. Stinky, stinky, stinky-pants.

My manager kind of shirked it, so me and a colleague got the address off the Children in need website to obtain the certificate and I emailed it to the team, saying we could display the certificate.

She replied, just to me, and I quote

"As I have already given the money in a lady at church and she has paid it with hers and two other person
I did not think I can get a certificate"
That's quite clever, because it will be almost impossible to determine the sums involved without demanding that the church lady "give evidence under oath" :)

In the light of what you've said about your employer's policy, I think that the next time she comes swanning around the office rattling tins, a few fairly pointed questions need to be asked of her. I suspect she'll very quickly see which way the wind is blowing, and you won't hear from her again.

not sure about that exi, thats not the sort of sums that would just be fed through the collection plates. My church (mas church really) is registered as a charity itself, iirc something to dowith people getting tax breaks on large donations. So surely a paper trail there is

Or she's just giving the cash to her church rather than the charitys she's suposed to be raising for

They could be having a collection at church for CiN and she has helped with that.

She could be collecting for the church but be lying because she knows that CiN provokes more donations.

Proper dodgey never to have any receipts or feedback for those who you collect from though.

not sure about that exi, thats not the sort of sums that would just be fed through the collection plates. My church (mas church really) is registered as a charity itself, iirc something to dowith people getting tax breaks on large donations. So surely a paper trail there is
But they'd have to get the - probably mythical - "church lady" to say anything.

I am sure this wasn't calculated, but charitygirl has played a blinder here - the only way to get her bang to rights is to behave, and appear, like a bunch of really oppressive and uncharitable types. We know the cause is just, but it'll be hard to paint it right.

Better to start with a clean slate, with plenty of "we know what you've been up to" side-eye, and scare the shit out of the scamming little piece of work.

Last edited:
Ask the managers to send a round-robin that summarises the policy on this and which underlines the part about providing evidence etc. Encourage them to also explicitly say that any collections that don't follow these guidelines will be investigated and referred to the necessary authorities.

Maybe-Scam-lady will stop immediately if that is what she has been doing.

She will absent herself from work if it's looked into. The charities if approached take matters such as this very seriously and have well used systems for checking.

Back
Top Bottom