Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coldplay and Travis are shit - Change my mind.

There's a workaround for this:

1) Throw all your apple shit in the fucking bin
2) Live happily ever after
Im well aware of the actual matrix. But I don’t buy new phones and I got an old iPhone with headphone Jack so I can take tunes with me without streaming and beaming my location.
I would like an old mp3 player but I have to keep hunting.

And if no one is looking, I'll gladly kick the sterophonics over the edge too. Fuck 'em all off for good, ta.
Shite as they were/are, I wouldn't put the Stereophonics in the same category as the other bands discussed here. They were rockier, and more uptempo.

I guess "white British/Irish blokes with guitars" get classified together if they're around at the same time. Witness the Roses and the Mondays, who really sounded nothing like one another, and what was classed as Britpop, ranging from Oasis and Ocean Colour Scene to Radiohead and Spiritualized.

They had their fair share of an air of soft bland ballad tripe. They tried to rock it like the others, but eventually got kicked into the pit of shit. And that's how it is.

Travis are just beige Indy dreck
Coldplay are similar but with more pianos and catchy hooks. Some nice drum parts. Is it 2003 again by the way?

Why are Coldplay so much more successful than Travis, or indeed the others that would have fallen under Alan McGee's "music for bedwetters" category? I'm thinking Starsailor, as well as the aforementioned Keane and Embrace.

Because a lot of people like middle of the road boring toss.

I still have the free Coldplay mp3s they downloaded on to all our iTunes 14 years ago with no consent.
So if I have my tunes on shuffle I sometimes get Coldplay. Which can make me say “what da faaark”.

Never forget.

I had that U2 album. I deleted it of course. The only same thing to do. it doesn’t come back once you delete it. Unless you use iTunes on the PC which is just masochism.

I’m not sure if I haven’t seen Travis live, by accident. On the same bill as supernaturals, real people, something like that. Forgettable rubbish. I was there to see Paul Weller and you’ve got all this other stuff first.

I have a 12 year old MacBook. I had some MP3’s in the iTunes. I have deleted the U2 ones and forgotten about that, war is a good album.
But I want to be reminded that Coldplay did that. So I guess masochism is involved somehow.

I have a 12 year old MacBook. I had some MP3’s in the iTunes. I have deleted the U2 ones and forgotten about that, war is a good album.
But I want to be reminded that Coldplay did that. So I guess masochism is involved somehow.
Apart from October and Rattle & Hum, U2 have a good run up to, and including Passengers  

dire then, dire now. utterly beige, bland toss for people who want thier music to be .... "nice".

the appeal of their music reminds of the oscar wilde gem -
"a sentimentalist is someone who wants the pleasure of real emotion, but doesnt want to pay for it"

When I saw this I assumed it was a thread from a decade ago, resurrected. Very retro.
I had the same thing, a weird moment of dissonance where I thought "this is clearly an old thread from 2005 that someone's bumped, but the "change my mind" meme format would not become popularised by that youtube arsehole until many years later, I suppose it must just be an odd coincidence that OP chose that wording in 2005?"

The older I get the more I think a big part of growing up is realising that certain things just aren't for you and that's okay.

Do you really want everyone to stop buying tickets for, say, The Thrills and driving up the cost of your free jazz gigs or whatever? No you don't.
Don't get me started on free jazz

If you go back and read the original column in the paper it reads pretty wet itself...

2000_07_28_META1-1024x538.png

Keane are the band out of this bunch of acts that I have a soft spot for. Not because I like them or their terrible fucking music or anything to do with the band but because of Tim Rice-Oxley's mum. I spent much of the 00s working with disabled people in West Sussex and Dr Rice-Oxley was a legend amongst people with MS. I never met her, but the devotion she inspired in the people with MS I worked with was awe inspiring. She was a physician in consultant rehabilitation medicine at Western Sussex Hospital Trust. Everyone who saw her talked about her as the greatest Doctor they'd ever met. One of the people I worked with spoke about her a great deal and mentioned her son was in a band. I think the the happiness she inspired in all those people has somehow rubbed off into my mental conception of her son's band, because sure as shit I have no emotional investment in anything Keane themselves did.
Chris Martin's mum snares badgers

Back
Top Bottom