Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coldplay and Travis are shit - Change my mind.

Best thing Travis did was their cover of Baby One More Time. Best thing Coldplay did was .. errrr .. no OK I didn't think this through, I'll have to come back to it

Enter Embrace, another band that rankled my gears. I wonder if Coldplay took any influence :hmm:

A Messiah complex seems to be something of an occupational hazard amongst musicians. Success goes to the head of some of them and they start to think people follow them because they are interested in the performers politics/religion/philosophy whereas really they just like humming a catchy tune.

Why are Coldplay so much more successful than Travis, or indeed the others that would have fallen under Alan McGee's "music for bedwetters" category? I'm thinking Starsailor, as well as the aforementioned Keane and Embrace.

Let's throw in Snow Patrol. Mostly wallpaper but Chasing Cars is epic as is Yellow by Coldplay (another bunch of interior decorators).

The one I have a soft spot for is Keane. I'd never heard of them before they played Reading (eta, many years ago) and an internet forum I was on decided to meet up before their set. I was told I'd hate them especially as I had just been down the front for Winnebago Deal on the same stage. Turns out I liked them and I think the main reason was the guy could sing and they had a couple of nice poppy upbeat singles.

Travis, Embrace, Starsailor? No redeeming features. Travis used to annoy me every time they came on the radio.

Last edited:
Tell me this isn’t a great tune.

Just such a boring track.

One thing I keep meaning to mention on this corner of urban is the 'song I haven't listened to for a good 20 years but is incredibly familiar' phenomenon. Driftwood may be one of those, though I'm not confident on it as it's bland enough that there could be any number of things I haven't really noticed it in. But it's always weird to find a song that is etched in the mind, but had no cultural presence beyond a certain time period, and that you may well have totally forgotten on any conscious level. Two princes by Spin Doctors was a defining example for me.

Just such a boring track.

One thing I keep meaning to mention on this corner of urban is the 'song I haven't listened to for a good 20 years but is incredibly familiar' phenomenon. Driftwood may be one of those, though I'm not confident on it as it's bland enough that there could be any number of things I haven't really noticed it in. But it's always weird to find a song that is etched in the mind, but had no cultural presence beyond a certain time period, and that you may well have totally forgotten on any conscious level. Two princes by Spin Doctors was a defining example for me.
I quite like the Spin Doctors. I even bought their second album (flushes musical credibility down the toilet).

The best of these post-Britpop bands is either Keane or Doves.

If Coldplay weren't so over exposed, there would be a hell of a lot less vitriol about their music.

The Last Broadcast is an amazing album. I wouldn't class them alongside any of these bands tbf.

I still have the free Coldplay mp3s they downloaded on to all our iTunes 14 years ago with no consent.
So if I have my tunes on shuffle I sometimes get Coldplay. Which can make me say “what da faaark”.

Never forget.

There's a workaround for this:

1) Throw all your apple shit in the fucking bin
2) Live happily ever after

Look, I'm Scottish and I think Travis are shit.

Obviously Coldplay are shit too.

Kind of bands for people who couldn't get over the direction Radiohead took after The Bends*/OK Computer*. (It shouldn't need stating that any Radiohead album is better than Coldplay/Travis.)

(*circle as appropriate)

Look, I'm Scottish and I think Travis are shit.

Obviously Coldplay are shit too.

Kind of bands for people who couldn't get over the direction Radiohead took after The Bends*/OK Computer*. (It shouldn't need stating that any Radiohead album is better than Coldplay/Travis.)

(*circle as appropriate)

Or people who think Echo and the Bunnymen only became good after Ocean Rain.

Once when trawling through the CDs in Oxfam where every album was priced between £3 and £5 I found a Travis album priced at £1.

The prosecution rests your honor.

Because everyone already owns it because they're so popular because they're so awesome :confused:

It drifts along
Eh... eh.... <knowing nudge>

For the record, I unironically enjoy pretty much every act mentioned on this thread :D

Why yes, I am a white, suburban, early Millennial male :p ;)

Back
Top Bottom