Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coldplay and Travis are shit - Change my mind.

Theyā€™re both good bands. But itā€™s like the REM and U2 thing. Youā€™re not allowed to admit liking them because they're now big. I always liked Duran Duran but i could never admit it to my metal head mates.

Funnily enough years ago I found a Coldplay CD in Oxfam for Ā£1 and bought it because I'd heard of them but never heard them, iyswim.
I played it once.
Never knowingly heard Travis. When I google Travis the first result is a builders merchant.

Ah, Ming to the rescue!

Once when trawling through the CDs in Oxfam where every album was priced between Ā£3 and Ā£5 I found a Travis album priced at Ā£1.

The prosecution rests your honor.

Bought Sly & The Family Stone "Life", Bowie "Aladdin Sane", White Stripes "De Stijl" and a rake of other albums recently for the equivalent of 35p to a 1.40 per CD.

Best charity find i ever got was AC/DCā€™s first album on Australian import with a load of new tracks And the original cover for 3 quid.
Only ever owned one of their albums (on cassette!) about 40 years ago - For Those About to Rock. Cost something like 6.49 punts from Golden Discs...

Nothing against Travis. It's not exactly groundbreaking stuff but they're nice lads with nice songs and there's nothing wrong with that.

Coldplay, they seemed like nice lads with nice songs for a minute but then the singer vanished up his own arsehole and they completely forgot what a tune is. That song 'fix you' was the point of no return. It was a lifeless dirge with the definitive 'nice guy friendzone misogynist' lyric, sung woefully off key. And it was a massive hit. They took that misplaced positive reinforcement and ran with it, ending up producing music that feels like you're having room-temperature grey paint siphoned into your ears.

Nothing against Travis. It's not exactly groundbreaking stuff but they're nice lads with nice songs and there's nothing wrong with that.

Coldplay, they seemed like nice lads with nice songs for a minute but then the singer vanished up his own arsehole and they completely forgot what a tune is. That song 'fix you' was the point of no return. It was a lifeless dirge with the definitive 'nice guy friendzone misogynist' lyric, sung woefully off key. And it was a massive hit. They took that misplaced positive reinforcement and ran with it, ending up producing music that feels like you're having room-temperature grey paint siphoned into your ears.
and they fucking ripped off Kraftwerk.

and they thought they were being clever by putting anti-piracy protection on one of their cds (if I remember correctly). Little did they know about the charity shop sale sections at that time.

Tell me this isnā€™t a great tune.

This isn't a great tune.

I gave it a listen as I didn't want to be unthinkingly judgemental. I'm always open to discovering new sounds I've dismissed in the past, old enough now not to care about any subcultural nonsense about what I should like. Maybe 20 years after it came out I might have found this stuff was missfiled in my brain based on preconcieved notions that don't hold up.

But no. The only emotion it inspired in me was annoyance. It drifts along looking to pull on heartstrings that I guess I don't have. I could feel myself physically cringing at his voice.

But that's fine. I'm sure I love thousands of songs that would cause other people to dive for the off button.

I was forced to watch Chris Martin from Coldplay at a festival I was working at once, singing at a piano. That's one of the worst performances I've ever had to endure as he smugly sat there emoting as he tinkled on the piano. If I hadn't been contractualy required to be there I'd have run far, far away.

Keane are the band out of this bunch of acts that I have a soft spot for. Not because I like them or their terrible fucking music or anything to do with the band but because of Tim Rice-Oxley's mum. I spent much of the 00s working with disabled people in West Sussex and Dr Rice-Oxley was a legend amongst people with MS. I never met her, but the devotion she inspired in the people with MS I worked with was awe inspiring. She was a physician in consultant rehabilitation medicine at Western Sussex Hospital Trust. Everyone who saw her talked about her as the greatest Doctor they'd ever met. One of the people I worked with spoke about her a great deal and mentioned her son was in a band. I think the the happiness she inspired in all those people has somehow rubbed off into my mental conception of her son's band, because sure as shit I have no emotional investment in anything Keane themselves did.

and they fucking ripped off Kraftwerk.

and they thought they were being clever by putting anti-piracy protection on one of their cds (if I remember correctly). Little did they know about the charity shop sale sections at that time.
Tbf, Kraftwerk have been borrowed by numerous artists. Esp in hip-hop. Probably one of the most influential bands ever.

Back
Top Bottom