Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Build my Shoegaze Playlist.

I think those two are called 'mini'albums? Isnt Anything was their first full-length -
They were sold as LPs at the time for LP prices. There are plenty of LPs with seven songs on. I only ever heard Ecstacy being called a mini LP until the comp Ecstacy & Wine came out. . . . Though I would personally agree that they are 'mini lps' they are officially listed as LPs rather than EPs, which is why I said "technically their third lp" and still called loveless their second.
and I seem to recall 'shoegaze' used about MBV before Loveless came out. However, it's a long time ago!
Which is exactly what I said. More rocky bands like Loop, (early) telescopes and (early) spacemen 3 were being called shoegaze long before isn't anything, and the older MBV tracks I mentioned still fit the more modern interpretation of the genre.

Not really, but I like playlists that play a bit with boundaries.
Absolutely this 💯

When I first got Spotify I threw together some tightly defined playlists - funk, dub & reggae, afro, latin - and while I love every track on each of them I found that after 90 minutes or so I was getting bored of the relentlessness. So I threw the best of the best from these all together into one 10 hour playlist designed to be played on random and made something amazing.

A while ago I started on a Shoegaze playlist, but after a couple of days adding and removing tracks it had turned into 6 hours of loosely defined psych/shoegaze/motorik that would probably make a pureist pull their hair out, and it's all the better for it.

The important thing making a playlist is that you'll want to listen to it, so forget what the classics that you have to include are, forget where genre boundaries are and focus on tracks you like that go together. After three and a half decades Shoegaze has gone off in all sorts of directions - dreampop, post-rock, heavy stuff, soft stuff. Make the playlist that you want whether it includes Deafheaven, The Sundays or Sigur Ros.

But don't forget to put loads of Lush on it and check out Ozean, cos they're great.

They were sold as LPs at the time for LP prices. There are plenty of LPs with seven songs on. I only ever heard Ecstacy being called a mini LP until the comp Ecstacy & Wine came out. . . . Though I would personally agree that they are 'mini lps' they are officially listed as LPs rather than EPs, which is why I said "technically their third lp" and still called loveless their second.

Fair enough. I was working from memory, perhaps you also were, but having taken a look I think you should probably update the Wikipedia page :thumbs:

I seem to recall 'shoegaze' used about MBV before Loveless came out.
Which is exactly what I said.
Actually what you wrote was
I think because their second LP is more famously shoegaze. (Sidenote - Isn't anything is technically their third LP after 'This is your Bloody Valentine' and 'Ecstasy')
It does remind me though that the term 'shoegaze' was initially for less dreamy acts like Loop, swervedriver, and even Headcleaner just because they lerched around hunched over guitars
🤷‍♂️

Actually what you wrote was

🤷‍♂️
As I said. . The term was used for for various acts who simply looked down and didn't sound particularly etherial. MBV were amongst that camp. My apologies if this confused you. I wrongly just assumed MBVs inclusion was implied.
The term appeared to evolve with MBV to mean something beyond the second wave of Grubby Jazz & Mazz Chazzers.

I really like Wednesday, I wouldn't have thought of them as having that much to do with shoes though?

If you like shoegaze you may also like the adjacent genres of dream pop (Cocteau Twins, Beach House, Galaxie 500, Mazzy Star) and post rock (Mogwai, Slint, Godspeed You Black Emperor, Sigur Ros).

Not really my thing.
. . But Stella does some good videos on it.

She did have a video of her all time favorite shoegaze tracks, but that appears to have been taken down.

I watched a bit of that. It's a history for aliens arriving on planet earth. As with most recent music history start with post punk.

When Slowdive reformed I realised that so much modern music sounds like them. More about music tech and fashion than They're brilliance.

Going to check the recommendations.

Last edited:
Curve

Brian Jonestown Massacre

& probably will divide by adding Yo La Tengo.
God I loved Curve, but I can't find the CDs (not that I have anything outside of the car that will play them) and most of their back catalogue isn't on Spotify.

Back
Top Bottom