Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Classical music...

Purcell - The Cold Song - Davone Tines in the style of a Schubert lied

Neil Balfour in the style of a street entertainer

Klaus Nomi in his last weeks before dying of AIDS

My favourite - Nicholaus Harnoncourt.Salzburg Festspiele

That's enough Cold Songs - Ed.
But it's only a selection. Amazing how this piece catches performers' imaginations!

Last edited:
I saw the 2018 Covent Garden Die Walkure on live relay at the Ritzy. Wotan's eye was highly off-putting- at least to me. Maybe less so at the back of the upper circle!
43098412210_3bff7de5e9_h.jpg

Also saw Parsifal as a Covent Garden relay at the Ritzy.

Re my post above, this Parsifal, apart from having Willard White as Klingsor discreetly castrating himself centre screen (?) this had a very 2001 ambience. The Graal was more of a star child!
Barry Millington explains these things better Parsifal, Covent Garden - opera review
Did you go to Parsifal?
There's a Met Opera Lohengrin about to be on at cinemas which is supposed to be very good. I've never seen Lohengrin or Parisfal, so might see this if can make it while it's on

Just a piano and a cello; very moving.

Reminds me of when I went back to my old school some years after leaving, as the head of music was finally moving on elsewhere and they had a special concert to mark that. It was a very musical school with multiple orchestra, including a chamber orchestra where you had to be grade 7-8 and they played Arvo Part's 'Cantus is memorium Benjamin Britten', which is beautiful. It was very moving to see the kids (11-18) playing it as it takes a lot of maturity to convey such a piece and they really managed it.

Reminds me of when I went back to my old school some years after leaving, as the head of music was finally moving on elsewhere and they had a special concert to mark that. It was a very musical school with multiple orchestra, including a chamber orchestra where you had to be grade 7-8 and they played Arvo Part's 'Cantus is memorium Benjamin Britten', which is beautiful. It was very moving to see the kids (11-18) playing it as it takes a lot of maturity to convey such a piece and they really managed it.

You got me right confused with that Cantus in Memoriam Benjamin Britten (conducted by Kent Nagano)
Turns out that Kent Nagano is 3 years older than me (he is 71 now).

Different Kent - you reminded me I have a video tape of Tippett's King Priam by Kent Opera.
Premiered the day before Britten's War Requiem King Priam apparently rescued Tippett's reputation

This short extra from the "pacifist opera" shows Priam begging Achilles to release Hector's body

The production was by Nicholas Hytner for Channel 4 in 1985. Those were the days - not a Gogglebox in sight.
Scenery a big basic I have to say!

Cloo dunno if you went to Lohengrin or listened on the radio. I dipped into Radio 3 but 4hrs 15m is a bit too much when the old attention span had dropped to 10 minutes.
It did prompt my memory though - I inherited a Decca boxed LP set in the early 1990s - rather unusually with Placido Domingo and Jesse Norman in the lead roles.
It's technically unusual too - recorded 1985 and issued in 1987 as either an LP or a CD or an audio cassette boxed set - so the LP set has a plastic insert to hold the CD-size libretto. Never seen that before!
Lohengrin-s.jpgLohenrgrin insert-s.jpg

I guess I'd better try it on the turntable. I was thinking the belt was near the end of its life last time I used it some time before covid!

Unusual offering from Covent Garden here

1984 by Lorin Maazel - a very good conductor, but maybe a less memorable composer.
Unfortunately the subtitles are in Spansih (I think)

Interesting, wasn't aware of this.

First reviews are out for the ENO production of Korngold's 'The Dead City' that my oldest is appearing in (first night was last night) - general gist seems to be: it's not a great opera, but very impressive for a 23 year old to have written it, , worth going to see as it comes around so rarely. Also very good staging and orchestra and praise for the chorus and children's chorus - yay!

This Guardian one is pretty typical: ENO The Dead City review – Korngold’s study of grief, guilt and obsession is full of queasy beauty

Also, classical fans, any suggestions for my choir's next season? Have a meeting tomorrow. We have the first concert of season, November, set up already, our 50th anniversary and it includes Handel 'Dixit Dominus' and Vivaldi 'Gloria'. We usually finish in July with something big with associated symphony orchestra, recent years have included Brahms 'German Reqiuem', Mendelssohn 'Elijah' and Mozart Mass in C Minor. In between we'll do anything from light music to difficult contemporary to concerts mostly a capella, or with various ensembles of instruments.

I see next year is an anniversary of Palestrina, so I'm going to suggest maybe an 'Ancient and Modern' concert with Palestrina, Lassus, Guesualdo and some complementary 20th century/contemporary stuff - Macmillan, Whitacre (not always a fan, but it's popular) and maybe try to get in some female composers like Judith Bingham, Joanna Marsh.

We're 35-40 singers, but can marshall a few more for big pieces.

Also, classical fans, any suggestions for my choir's next season? Have a meeting tomorrow. We have the first concert of season, November, set up already, our 50th anniversary and it includes Handel 'Dixit Dominus' and Vivaldi 'Gloria'. We usually finish in July with something big with associated symphony orchestra, recent years have included Brahms 'German Reqiuem', Mendelssohn 'Elijah' and Mozart Mass in C Minor. In between we'll do anything from light music to difficult contemporary to concerts mostly a capella, or with various ensembles of instruments.

I see next year is an anniversary of Palestrina, so I'm going to suggest maybe an 'Ancient and Modern' concert with Palestrina, Lassus, Guesualdo and some complementary 20th century/contemporary stuff - Macmillan, Whitacre (not always a fan, but it's popular) and maybe try to get in some female composers like Judith Bingham, Joanna Marsh.

John Tavener? Mother and Child or the Lamb, maybe.

First reviews are out for the ENO production of Korngold's 'The Dead City' that my oldest is appearing in (first night was last night) - general gist seems to be: it's not a great opera, but very impressive for a 23 year old to have written it, , worth going to see as it comes around so rarely. Also very good staging and orchestra and praise for the chorus and children's chorus - yay!

This Guardian one is pretty typical: ENO The Dead City review – Korngold’s study of grief, guilt and obsession is full of queasy beauty
The promo pictures in the Guardian review sum up the spirit of the thing.
I had a comp ticket for the dress rehearsal - but it turned out to be in the balcony, which I hate due to vertigo.
I stayed for 2 hours but sloped off at the interval (after the 2nd act - before the 3rd act and epilogue)
I have to say if you can stand the height the sound in the balcony is actually much better than the back of the upper circle for example.
I don't know the piece - apart from two famous arias.
The think what marked it out as an ENO production must be when buxom Marietta descends from the flies pole dancing on top of one of the candelabras.

As you say it's amazing that Korngold wrote this at 23.
Seems Mozart was 12 when he wrote Bastien and Bastienne (commonly known as the them to Beethoven's Eroica symphony).
Mozart was 24 when he composed Idomeneo - his first famous opera, and 31 when he wrote Don Giovanni - my favourite.

Strangely, although Korngold's Die Tote Stadt has several Youtube versions in German, the only English subtitled one I could find with is Deutsche Oper from about 1984 (you have to click "Watch on Youtube")

I will eventually find out what happens at the end, no doubt.

I'm not familiar with Korngold, but something about your post reminded me of Alban Berg, and that whole 12-tone thing. I was in an orchestra that did Berg's violin concerto, and though it was very alien to my conventional classical mindset, there was a weird beauty about it that hooked me in.

A version:

ETA: this is WAY beyond me. I cannot conceive of what it would take to be able to play the solo part in this.

For July, maybe get some soloists in and have a crack at the Verdi Requiem?

And DEFINITELY get some Palestrina under your belt - there's plenty to choose from. Or, if you really want to rock out, have a look at Victoria - his stuff is sublime, and there's a few masses in there. Not an easy sing, though. I'm a big de Lassus fan (though I've probably only sung a couple of his bits), and Gesualdo's always worth the money. For contemporary, have a look at Karl Jenkins ("Armed Mass" does the trick, though he's got a tasty requiem too), and Ola Gjeilo, who's been a bit cool lately.

the Howells Requiem is lovely

I'm not familiar with Korngold, but something about your post reminded me of Alban Berg, and that whole 12-tone thing. I was in an orchestra that did Berg's violin concerto, and though it was very alien to my conventional classical mindset, there was a weird beauty about it that hooked me in.

A version:

ETA: this is WAY beyond me. I cannot conceive of what it would take to be able to play the solo part in this.

The Berg violin concerto is one of my a all time favourites, such a powerful and beautiful piece. I remember watching a performance on telly with Leonidas Kavakos and at the end my housemate had to ask me if I was all right as I was such an emotional wreck at the end.

Would ye be into modern choral pieces?

Thinking..Judith Bingham First Light maybe? It's complex...challenging..intricate...
and beautiful.

The Sleeping Soul is another one of Judith Binghams.

Or The Darkness Is No Darkness.

Oooh, the conductor is suggesting a 'light and dark' themed concert so that last Bingham might be a goer - we do contemporary as well.

Sad operatic news today with the death of counter-tenor James Bowman - here duetting with Michael Chance, the other singer who kickstarted my love of the voice in various ENO Handel productions of the 90s.

Oooh, the conductor is suggesting a 'light and dark' themed concert so that last Bingham might be a goer - we do contemporary as well.

Sad operatic news today with the death of counter-tenor James Bowman - here duetting with Michael Chance, the other singer who kickstarted my love of the voice in various ENO Handel productions of the 90s.

This is also a stunning piece. Again...modern.
Eric Whitacre...Lux Aurumque
(Light and Gold poem by Edward Esch)

I find it extremely beautiful.

Reactions: CH1
My choir's next concert:

May 2023.jpg

Richard Cox is one of our baritones and rather a fine composer of choral music - we've done a few pieces by him but I think this set is his best yet.

Rather aptly, several of the Elgar songs have written on the score at the end in brackets where he'd just been for a walk when he composed them - Totteridge, Hadley Green and Mill Hill, all parts of the choir's 'native' Barnet, but of course country villages in Elgar's day.

Last edited:
People on this thread might enjoy this video. Nahre Sol's analysis and performance of Clair de Lune + her own composition.

Reactions: CH1
Back
Top Bottom