Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Classical music...

This is beautiful, but also a hard sing. It's two choirs of four voices each, and it's bloody murder following the other parts. You have to count like a bastard, and hope you don't lose your place, because getting it back again is HARD.

Yes well there used to be a debate about Gould and the Goldbergs - his first 1956 recording made him a recording star, then this at the end of his career very slow
This strange video is a re-creation of the original Glenn Gould recording using modern technology (notes included). Much quicker

Sir Andras Schiff at the 2015 Proms was closer to the late Gould version but not quite as slow. I was there - on 22nd August 2015, and I see from the notes in my programme that I didn't hear the cowbell in the early concert that evening which was Mahler's 6th. A sign of my encroaching deafness (not recommended to anyone).

Yes well there used to be a debate about Gould and the Goldbergs - his first 1956 recording made him a recording star, then this at the end of his career very slow
This strange video is a re-creation of the original Glenn Gould recording using modern technology (notes included). Much quicker

Sir Andras Schiff at the 2015 Proms was closer to the late Gould version but not quite as slow. I was there - on 22nd August 2015, and I see from the notes in my programme that I didn't hear the cowbell in the early concert that evening which was Mahler's 6th. A sign of my encroaching deafness (not recommended to anyone).

I really enjoy Yuan Sheng's rendition.

6 musicians and what they think of Gould.
Very interesting ...his physicality of style caused him physical pain & eventually dystonia

Last edited:
The ballet is integral... the music was controversial in terms of breaking the rules of musical theory and it's often harsh sounds..but yes it was very influential at the time and moved the 20th century forward into a very different musicality.

Absolutely. Nijinsky's choreography was as revolutionary as Stravinsky's music and the premiere of both in 1913 is regarded still as one of THE most controversial and seminal moments in 20th Century art. The choreography sadly was lost......however here is a brilliant documentary- first shown on the BBC - on the search and reconstruction of how that choreography and ballet may've looked. It's pretty fascinating.

1. No More Heroes (Stranglers) 2.Babylon's Burning (Ruts) 3 Sheena Is A Punk Rocker (Ramones) 4 Down In The Tube Station At Midnight 5.Holiday In Cambodia (Dead Kennedys) 6. White Riot (Clash) 7. Gary Gilmore's Eyes (Adverts) 8Ever Fallen In Love (With Someone You Shouldn't Have) (Buzzcocks) 9 Love Song (Damned) 10. Another Girl Another Planet (Only Ones) 11. Where's Captain Kirk? (Spizzenergi) 12.Alternative Ulster (Stiff Little Fingers) 13. Germ Free Adolescents (X-Ray Spex) 14. Teenage Kicks (Undertones) 15. Stranglehold (UK Subs) 16. Hersham Boys (Sham 69) 17. Sound Of The Suburbs (Members) 18. Pretty Vacant (Sex Pistols)

Set list for above!!!!

Something different from the beautiful music posted here...
Quite interesting anyway ....

I was at this Prom in 2013 when the Stranglers played for about 30 minutes.
As for the bemused comment under the video on Youtube (Why is Jet sitting in glass box?) this is because the BBC/Albert Hall got very sensititve about damaging people's hearing - there had been cases of damages awards to orchestral musicians who claimed compensation for occupational deafness.

Back
Top Bottom