Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Classical music...

A little Schubert..

Surely this music is used repeatedly in Stanley Kubrick's Barry Lyndon? (to excellent effect)
Whilst we're on film music I accidentally stumbled on a botched up Drowning by Numbers trailer.
This trailer is on Youtube and is a complete travesty IMHO. The original music is Michael Nyman's fantasy on the slow movement of Mozart's Sinfonia Concertante in E flat. This song was not in the film at all.

wondering about the provenance of the Klokline Cinema Youtube channel I looked at their listings, and top of that was this amazing number from "Hair"

Took the kids to see Rhinegold last week and oldest was blown away by the music from the Journey to Nibelheim (realm of the dwarf-esque Nibelung). This video is from a production (not the one we saw) that has extra cool visuals as Wotan and Loge (God of Fire) descend in this rather sci-fi staging. Wagner's score actually calls for anvils to make the clanking rhythm you hear - crank up the volume and I defy you not to have goosebumps as this builds to a crescendo

Took the kids to see Rhinegold last week and oldest was blown away by the music from the Journey to Nibelheim (realm of the dwarf-esque Nibelung). This video is from a production (not the one we saw) that has extra cool visuals as Wotan and Loge (God of Fire) descend in this rather sci-fi staging. Wagner's score actually calls for anvils to make the clanking rhythm you hear - crank up the volume and I defy you not to have goosebumps as this builds to a crescendo

That video clip is fantastic. The sort of thing you might get in Valencia I guess.
Long boring post here:
Valencia Cultural Centre seems to have been newly opened (2005) when your clip of Rheingold was recorded. The conductor is Zubin Mehta with Orquesta de la Comunitat Valenciana.
Fantastic looking production on the video. I went to the ENO Rhinegold last week and was confused, what with the tree man at the beginning, and Wotan trying to snog Erde towards the end.
The best bit of the ENO production for me was the end - the gods boxing themselves up in a prison of their own making. Very Freudian - and not something that occurred to me before.

The Valencia region seem(ed) to have a lot of pride in their new Cultural Centre - from their website
Let's hope it doesn't suffer the same fate as the ENO and get death threats by government cuts.

Zubin Mehta has been a regular at Valencia. Still kicking about as I write, a veteran of 86 (born 1936 in Bombay)
I first encountered Zubin Mehta as a school boy. In 1970 or so I bought the ultimate Decca HiFi LP — Also Sprach Zarathustra - the Los Angeles Philharmonic and Zubin Mehta.
I guess Decca had rushed it out in 1968/9 to cash in on the fascination with Kubrick's 2001 A Space Oddesy - although funnily enough the vesion Kubrick used for the film was also in the Decca catalogue - by that time a mid-price re-issue on the Ace of Diamonds label). The the Karajan recording was made in 1959 by Decca's master classical producer Jon Culshaw - also responsible for Decca's block-busting Ring of the Neibelungen recordings - including Das Rheingold. (now up to £499 as an original vinyl set)
s-l500.jpg

Back to Zubin Mehta - here is someone on Youtube "upping" 1969 Los Angeles Philharmonic vinyl Also Sprach Zarathustra (I think you can hear the needle go down right at the beginning?)

Ah, that explains why the orchestra sounds so fantastic if it was under Mehta!

I liked the ENO one, I thought it told the story very lucidly and was a great intro for Ring newbies. I saw the entire cycle at ROH at the end of 2018, one heck of an experience.

Ah, that explains why the orchestra sounds so fantastic if it was under Mehta!

I liked the ENO one, I thought it told the story very lucidly and was a great intro for Ring newbies. I saw the entire cycle at ROH at the end of 2018, one heck of an experience.
I saw the 2018 Covent Garden Die Walkure on live relay at the Ritzy. Wotan's eye was highly off-putting- at least to me. Maybe less so at the back of the upper circle!
43098412210_3bff7de5e9_h.jpg

Also saw Parsifal as a Covent Garden relay at the Ritzy.

Re my post above, this Parsifal, apart from having Willard White as Klingsor discreetly castrating himself centre screen (?) this had a very 2001 ambience. The Graal was more of a star child!
Barry Millington explains these things better Parsifal, Covent Garden - opera review
Did you go to Parsifal?

I thought the orchestra and singing was fab at ENO but the production was very odd. Didn't like the jokiness (the frog etc.).

I've been learning this classic piano piece in the guitar, it's so lovely to play and listen too... I love the build up...

oh, bugger, embedding is disabled... it's Canon in D...

This is the version I'm learning, (in C, with open chords, on account of being easier than the version with barre chords in D)

Last edited:
I thought the orchestra and singing was fab at ENO but the production was very odd. Didn't like the jokiness (the frog etc.).
Yeah well I've done an intense study of Rhinegold since last week. Dusted down my old VHS centenary edition of the Ring (cond. Boulez, directed Chereau), but also last Monday morning early was a Sky Arts broadcast of the Birmingham Opera version. This is on Youtube (seems to be an official site - and credits EU funding!) (available to view free until 9th March 2023 apparently)
Your comment on jokiness - well yes, though such things in Wagner might possibly be funny (to a German audience). Look at Mime as a character - really hyped up in Siegfried.
Anyway how do you find Birmingham Opera? The very opening is sort of relevant - "You build Valhalla, we live in squalor" they chant.
ENO has the Log Man dragging an offcut from the World Ash tree back and forth. I didn't have a programme, so didn't even understand the reference until I read Barry Millington's review in the Standard.
One of my friends thought ENO should have been prosecuted like the naked rambler. On the other hand another friend liked the golden child manikin, which I found annoying.

What can you say? My replaying of the Bayreuth 1976 tape reveals a very staid-looking show. Apparently having the opening scene with the Rhine-maidens swimming in the pool of a hydroelectric dam was very shocking at the time. Apart from this the sets are very Victorian industrial. And I thought the ENO ending more sensational than Bayreuth where Loge just draws the stage curtain across, rather like a posh crematorium funeral.

Edited - to add time limit on the Birmingham Opera youtube recording

Last edited:
I want to watch the Birmingham Opera having watched the intro a month or two ago.

My parents saw the legendary quite low budget but amazing singers 1980s ENO Ring, and also a famously very spectacular production by the ROH in the same decade.

Re Briminghmam Opera Company - I was at this extraordinary performance of Curlew River graphically described by Tom Service (2004)

They were very much the creation of the late Graham Vick - who used at one time to live in Stockwell Park Road.

Went to the dress rehearsal of the ENO Akhnaten yesterday. Pretty sumptuous costumes and set. I'd been to the a 2019 performance on a £15 standing ticket at the back of the circle.
Having a seat yesterday I could at least see the top row of the set without bending double!
An obvious must for Philip Glass fans - and there's the added attraction now of under 21s go free and the under 35 discount.
Maybe ENO are adjusting to the realities of modern London living? But with a £20 million pound budget cut from the Arts Council one wonders how they will survive?
Certainly the ENO CEO in his 5 minute pep talk at the beginning didn't sound a happy man.

Here is the Metropolitan Opera trailer from 2019 - the ENO production is virtually identical. I believe the original version of this staging is from San Francisco.

Was thinking about going to the Wigmore Hall tomorrow for this 1969 progressive work by Hans Werner Henze.
Under 25s go free, and Classic FM subsidised seats for £5 for under 35s.
Pensioners and other above 35 seat prices £16 - £35 plus £4 for online bookng fee.

As it happens there is a first class Youtube (by a different ensemble) from the Met - feat. Davone Tines

Davone Tines previously did this very fashionable Julius Eastman piece

Back
Top Bottom