Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Child in buggy blown on to London Tube station tracks

Status
Not open for further replies.

weltweit

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-28741287
A child had to be rescued from the tracks at a Tube station - seconds before a train arrived - after a gust of wind blew a buggy off the platform.

CCTV shows the child in a pushchair being left at the foot of the stairs of two train platforms at Goodge Street.

The wind pushed the buggy on to the tracks but the mother climbed down to retrieve the child seconds before the London Underground train pulled in.

Terrifying for the parents ... !!

The news says the police want to talk to the woman. Don't know why, unless it is to lecture her about the safe thing to do.

I suspect she knew exactly how dangerous it was. But you're not going to sit back and wait for the 'authorities' to turn up if your baby is on railway tracks. :(

Possibly the chap who attended to the buggy just before this didn't put the brake on. I suppose as it is a level surface that is possibly quite reasonable.

The news says the police want to talk to the woman. Don't know why, unless it is to lecture her about the safe thing to do.

I suspect she knew exactly how dangerous it was. But you're not going to sit back and wait for the 'authorities' to turn up if your baby is on railway tracks. :(
"We urgently need to identify the people involved to ensure the child wasn't injured as a result of the fall on to the tracks."

Sounds like tfl might want to blame the woman and not take any responsibility for what happened.

"We urgently need to identify the people involved to ensure the child wasn't injured as a result of the fall on to the tracks."

Sounds like tfl might want to blame the woman and not take any responsibility for what happened.
Um, why do TfL need to "take responsibility"? The stupid woman should have left the brakes on.

It wasn't the woman.
Well, whoever.

This.
But I'll think you'll find that I didn't say they should take responsibility.

Did you have an alarm go off when a thread about transport started? :D
Really? What does this say then?

This.
But I'll think you'll find that I didn't say they should take responsibility.

Did you have an alarm go off when a thread about transport started? :D
I just read it earlier and had thought "oh, how dreadful for the parents" but didn't really think it was worth saying, but I "watched" the thread anyway cos I was suspicious of why they're trying to trace the family.

From the images in the article it does seem like the man was the last to handle the buggy and it seems he pointed it at the platform and then went off to help others. Presumably not putting the brake on, but why would you, it was a piece of flat ground. Are we so aware of the wind in the tube? I certainly aren't.

Because they have a crappy, wind-tunnel death trap about 10 inches wide where a platform is supposed to be, but still charge about four times as much as cities whose underground railways weren't old when Sherlock Holmes was a baby?
"Death trap"....LOL! Utter nonsense, as was as the rest of your post
I wasn't offering an opinion on whether they should or not.
Oh, sorry. That's what it read like.
From the images in the article it does seem like the man was the last to handle the buggy and it seems he pointed it at the platform and then went off to help others. Presumably not putting the brake on, but why would you, it was a piece of flat ground. Are we so aware of the wind in the tube? I certainly aren't.
Anyone who uses the Tube regularly knows how much wind you get down there, when you've got what are basically pistons moving down long tight tubes. You get it all the time on the escalators.

There's nothing in that article to indicate that this family were regular tube users.
I never said they were.

But in any case it was utter madness to leave an unsecured pushchair meters away from two sets of live railway tracks.

I never said they were.

But in any case it was utter madness to leave an unsecured pushchair meters away from two sets of live railway tracks.
It's only utter madness if you're familiar enough with the tube to know about how much wind there is.

I think this particular couple will have learnt that lesson now - the hard way.

And that is despite being very very lucky indeed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom