Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Child in buggy blown on to London Tube station tracks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bungle73

Dont one you think there should be some kind of automatic, self-lowering barrier at the edge of the platform to prevent this? I think that's where the whole responsibility issue comes in. Also, a few attendants on every platform to look out for this kind of thing.

Bungle73

Dont one you think there should be some kind of automatic, self-lowering barrier at the edge of the platform to prevent this? I think that's where the whole responsibility issue comes in. Also, a few attendants on every platform to look out for this kind of thing.

as we had under BR

Bungle73

The lovely jubbly line has glass windows with sliding doors so you can't access the track at all.

Bungle73

It's not practical. And where would the money come from for these "attendants"? Anyway, this sort of thing hardly ever happens. There are very, very few accidents on the Tube.
The lovely jubbly line has glass windows with sliding doors so you can't access the track at all.
That's not what they're there for. They're for airflow reasons.

Which line is that? - I have been on it but can't remember

Jubilee and only on a select few stations. And I think it was put in place to stop selfish gits from committing suicide.*

*Shit I thought that attitude would dissipate after I left london.

I think the language barrier could have been a problem: The couple might have been tourists unaware that "Northern Line" means "Spooky Ghost Train Ride." Was Goodge Street one of those stations built on plague pits?

It's not practical. And where would the money come from for these "attendants"? Anyway, this sort of thing hardly ever happens. There are very, very few accidents on the Tube.

I knew you'd say that. They can tunnel through the middle of London but they can't afford a few barriers? Rubbish. It would save lives.

I don't know why they were put there but they do stop you accessing the tracks.

I knew you'd say that. They can tunnel through the middle of London but they can't afford a few barriers? Rubbish. It would save lives.
Save lives? What lives? When was the last time someone was killed by accidentally ending up onto the Tube tracks? I can't recall it ever happening. And as I said it isn't practical. I'm not sure where I said it couldn't be afforded.

Save lives? What lives? When was the last time someone was killed by accidentally ending up onto the Tube tracks? I can't recall it ever happening. And as I said it isn't practical. I'm not sure where I said it couldn't be afforded.

You asked where the money would come from for the attendants! I think if you check the figures for 2010/11 you'll see there were 7 accidental deaths from platform gusts.

Re: the "should have put brakes on" comments, tbf the brakes on our push chair are proper crap! Wouldn't have bought it had I known. There's certainly been instances when I've applied them on the bus and then 5 minutes later it's lurched backwards anyway :( (thankfully baby almost always gets taken out because she'd much rather be on my lap)

You asked where the money would come from for the attendants! I think if you check the figures for 2010/11 you'll see there were 7 accidental deaths from platform gusts.
Um, you didn't say attendants, you said barriers. 7 "accidental deaths from wind gusts"? Source?

Um, you didn't say attendants, you said barriers. 7 "accidental deaths from wind gusts"? Source?

I also said attendants. But I stand by the barriers too. Well, you know what I mean. Behind them.

If we agree that there were deaths and that barriers/ attendants would help and you're saying that money is no object then what's the problem?

I also said attendants. But I stand by the barriers too. Well, you know what I mean. Behind them.

If we agree that there were deaths and that barriers/ attendants would help and you're saying that money is no object then what's the problem?
Oh don't worry.

Bungle will just argue contrary to everything anyone says on a transport related thread unless it 100% toes the company line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom