Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cheap Android phone recommendations

personally I wouldn't buy a Chinese built/owned phone - Moto et al: regardless of who wins the US election the pressure on US firms like Google to not do business with China is going to increase, so there's a good chance you might by it and it might start to lose functionality /miss updates long before it's time to replace it.

The moral argument is for the individual, but the above should be a consideration for all - certainly my employer is getting more and more anxious about employees using Chinese phones and software. They aren't allowed in certain rooms, they aren't allowed on certain deployments, they aren't allowed to be used for official use above X classification rating, and my employer is steadily spreading those rules out to its suppliers.

My Moto G6+ has been pretty good, but I won't be getting another Moto (Lenovo) when the contract is up at the end of the month - it'll be either a Samsung or Nokia.

personally I wouldn't buy a Chinese built/owned phone - Moto et al: regardless of who wins the US election the pressure on US firms like Google to not do business with China is going to increase, so there's a good chance you might by it and it might start to lose functionality /miss updates long before it's time to replace it.

The moral argument is for the individual, but the above should be a consideration for all - certainly my employer is getting more and more anxious about employees using Chinese phones and software. They aren't allowed in certain rooms, they aren't allowed on certain deployments, they aren't allowed to be used for official use above X classification rating, and my employer is steadily spreading those rules out to its suppliers.

My Moto G6+ has been pretty good, but I won't be getting another Moto (Lenovo) when the contract is up at the end of the month - it'll be either a Samsung or Nokia.
There's been zero cases of existing Chinese phones having any Google functionality removed or the threat of that happening later - it's only the new models you need to worry about, but you're unlikely to buy one of those and not know about its shortcomings. I don't know who you work for but for most people I can't imagine their choice of personal handset being of any interest to their employer.

Just to point out, the Redmi Note 9 Pro has a sale on the Xiaomi site right now. (and their other phones, too)

Use code 10YEAR for 15 off 100
Use code 10YEAR30 for 30 off 200
Use code 10YEAR40 for 40 off 300

I got the 9 Pro for the missus at £199 shipped and supported from the UK. Not much more than ordering it from China!

It looks very good at that price point, but they're still only at the prototype stage. I wouldn't expect to see one any time soon. The processor will be even more out of date by then (it's the sort of thing that was in sub-£200 phones 3 years ago). But I'll give them that it's a good minimum level of performance - just can't do anything fancy.

It looks very good at that price point, but they're still only at the prototype stage. I wouldn't expect to see one any time soon. The processor will be even more out of date by then (it's the sort of thing that was in sub-£200 phones 3 years ago). But I'll give them that it's a good minimum level of performance - just can't do anything fancy.

I'm comforted by the fact that they've made and sold phones before and...

1602088897323.png

It looks like a fairly decent phone for the price but having seen many crowd funding events, especially those for electronics, I'd take any release date with a large pinch of salt.

Yeah, but, Soy Ink!
I know what you mean, though. Some companies are shit at delivering anywhere near on their estimates (I'm looking at you Textblade and Freewrite's Traveler model).

I'm heartened by the fact these guys have made and produced and sold phones before, though. So they're tooled up, have experience etc.

1602093661348.png

Today only apparently - Redmi Note 9 4GB 128GB £129 at Xiaomi UK - 35%/£70 off

Big phone, big battery, big storage.

So the 4gb / 128gb version is £50 cheaper than the 3gb/64gb model, until midnight anyway. But only in Green

Specs: Redmi Note 9 | Xiaomi UK | Mi.com - Xiaomi UK

1603387296818.png

Big phone, big battery, big storage.

So the 4gb / 128gb version is £50 cheaper than the 3gb/64gb model, until midnight anyway. But only in Green

Specs: Redmi Note 9 | Xiaomi UK | Mi.com - Xiaomi UK

View attachment 235414
Cheap as chips. A case sorts the colour

I'm currently using a Motorola Moto x4, which I bought in May 2018. I really like the phone, and it has served me well, particularly since I really don't do anything very hard core with my phone. It's mainly for texting, email, podcasts, music, and the occasional photo when I don't have my camera with me. I don't play games or even watch video on any sort of regular basis.

In terms of general performance, I don't even need to upgrade. The problem is that the rapid charging function on the phone is now completely nonfunctional. I began to have problems with it a few months ago, and would have to really push the connector in to make sure that I got rapid charging, but now it only charges slowly, meaning that it takes a good five or six hours to charge fully and I have to be careful to keep it charged overnight.

Also, the headphone jack has been used so much that it is now pretty loose, and it's hard to keep my headphones in there. If I stick them in and put the phone in my pocket, the slightest jostling of the headphone jack will cause it to disconnect and the sound to stop. I do have Bluetooth earphones, and I'm happy to use those for things like podcasts, but for music I find the sound quality of my wired earbuds much better.

As a replacement, I've been looking at the Moto G Power, which is super cheap and has basically everything I need in a phone. About the only reservation I have is that it lacks NFC. This is not a function I use very often, but there are times when it really comes in handy, like a few weeks ago when I drove 40 miles to buy some stuff, and realized when I arrived that I had left my wallet on the table at home. Luckily, the place took Google Pay and I was able to make sure that it wasn't a wasted journey. It would also be nice if the Power was water resistant, like my current Moto x4. I'm not sure that I have ever needed this, but it does provide some peace of mind in case you get soaked or drop it down the toilet or something like that.

The other one I am considering right now is the Pixel 4a. It doesn't have the massive battery power of the Motorola, but reviews suggest that, even with high video use, it easily gets a full day on a charge. It also lacks water resistance, but it does have NFC. It would be my first phone without any storage expansion slot like microSD, which would be a little annoying, but it is a 128 GB phone, which is probably plenty for me.

In terms of pricing, the Motorola is definitely better value for money when both phones are at full price, but I can currently get the Pixel 4a for $US216 (instead of the usual price of $349), because Google is running a subscription special on its Fi wireless service. I am already with Fi, and have been for more than two years, and I was going to stick with them anyway, so there is no real downside for me to take the subscription deal, which would require me to pay off the phone at nine dollars a month over two years. If you leave Fi, or want to pay the phone off early, you have to pay the full price.

not recommendation as I don't have these phones but these are reduced at the moment...

Xiaomi Poco X3 NFC Shadow Grey or Cobolt Blue 6.67" 128GB 6GB 4G Unlocked & SIM Free (£209-128GB, £189-64GB) @ Laptops Direct

Redmi Note 9 3gb / 64gb £119 - Mi Note 10 Lite (+ buds) 6gb / 128gb £249 - Mi 10 Lite 5g 6gb / 64gb £199 @ Xiaomi

I was getting close to buying a Google Pixel 4a, and then over Thanksgiving, Google had a special on the Samsung Galaxy A71 5G, offering it for $US249. That seemed like a bargain for a phone that originally retailed at $600, and that is still generally $450 for an unlocked version.

There was a condition on the cheap price: the phone had to be activated on the Google Fi network within 30 days, and has to stay on that network for at least 90 days. I've been using Fi for over two years, and had no plans to change anyway, so I grabbed it. It arrived today, and I just finished setting it up. Seems like a really nice phone. It's about a centimeter taller than my Moto X4, but the very narrow bezels compared to the Motorola means that the Samsung has heaps more screen real estate.

I like the big battery (4500mAh), and the expandable microSD storage. It doesn't have the water resistance of my Moto X4, but the Pixel 4a doesn't either. I'll need to get a case of some sort, because like most phones nowdays, it's slippery as an eel in the hands.

I was getting close to buying a Google Pixel 4a, and then over Thanksgiving, Google had a special on the Samsung Galaxy A71 5G, offering it for $US249. That seemed like a bargain for a phone that originally retailed at $600, and that is still generally $450 for an unlocked version.

There was a condition on the cheap price: the phone had to be activated on the Google Fi network within 30 days, and has to stay on that network for at least 90 days. I've been using Fi for over two years, and had no plans to change anyway, so I grabbed it. It arrived today, and I just finished setting it up. Seems like a really nice phone. It's about a centimeter taller than my Moto X4, but the very narrow bezels compared to the Motorola means that the Samsung has heaps more screen real estate.

I like the big battery (4500mAh), and the expandable microSD storage. It doesn't have the water resistance of my Moto X4, but the Pixel 4a doesn't either. I'll need to get a case of some sort, because like most phones nowdays, it's slippery as an eel in the hands.

Nice. I have an A71. Assume it isn't 5g.

I went for the official Samsung case that talks to the phone so you get alerts thru the little window on the case etc. I think it was £20 ish. They are slippery otherwise.

e2a... This is the case I got dunno if it fits yours

I went for the official Samsung case that talks to the phone so you get alerts thru the little window on the case etc. I think it was £20 ish. They are slippery otherwise.
Snap! That's exactly what I did. I just went out and picked up my Samsung case this morning.

It's a nice case, and I'm happy with it, although under some circumstances I can see myself getting a little annoyed with a wallet-style case, which requires you to get the cover out of the way in order to use the phone's full functions.

Everything I've read suggests that having 5G won't really be of much benefit, especially given how I use the phone. I'm not a big data hog. I would have been quite happy with the regular 4G version, but it was the 5G that was on sale. Interestingly, the two versions are slightly different in size, and the same case won't fit both phones.

Hello everyone. I have a mate 10 pro for the last couple of years. What would be considered a good android upgrade.. In terms of screen size, sound, power, battery life.. Happy to spend £300-500, don't mind 2nd hand, etc. Not in a rush, just seeing what's out there! Have a student and blue light card if it helps

Hello everyone. I have a mate 10 pro for the last couple of years. What would be considered a good android upgrade.. In terms of screen size, sound, power, battery life.. Happy to spend £300-500, don't mind 2nd hand, etc. Not in a rush, just seeing what's out there! Have a student and blue light card if it helps
I bought a samsung galaxy a70 last the year before last for about £300 or so. A decent phone with loads of storage and a great battery life. Works well with no complaints so far. Only one shitty little speaker on the bottom of the phone so that's a downside, but I never use it to listen to stuff without headphones.

Only one shitty little speaker on the bottom of the phone so that's a downside, but I never use it to listen to stuff without headphones.
Yeah, before I bought my A71, I looked at a bunch of reviews, and they all made the same point about a terrible single speaker.

That means nothing to me. Who the hell listens to music—or any sounds worth hearing—on their phone without using headphones? About the only people I've ever seen using the external speakers on their phones are a few assholes who insist on playing their music out loud on public transit.

Back
Top Bottom