Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cheap Android phone recommendations

So I have lovely HIFI Bluetooth audio on my new Pixel 7A, switched the SIM to my new phone after finding a suitable piece of wire to open the SIM tray - in lieu of the tool which I'm sure I would have noticed had it had been in the box...
So my new phone is now my old number and my contacts are there, but I lost my call history :p
I was able to phone it.

Pop a new giffgaff SIM in my old phone and activate it with credit, but even after rebooting it comes up with no SIM...

Is it because my old phone is still in GIFFGAFF's database ?

My Google messages has my text messages but tries to send new ones from my old phone which still has text and call histories...
My new phone at least has my contacts...

I've asked a question on the GIFFGAFF forums ...
I read elsewhere that sometimes it takes a while for the network to accept a new SIM - and coincidentally the local O2 service is showing H+ - though the status is green ...

Last edited:
Excellent charger, have been using it for a few years now , came with a Pixel 4 in my case.

hmm.

the old phone i use as a spare phone and for one or two things that use a phone number for login but i don't want to be found by everyone who knows my usual phone number, is coming to the end of its useful life - must be 10 years old, and is on android 4.something so an increasing number of things don't work any more.

my regular phone is 3 and a bit years old - a moto g8 - and is perfectly adequate for what i do.

looks like anything decent / refurbished is going to be 50 quid upwards, as a replacement for the spare phone, or can get something new and basic for not much more.

or do i get something for 100 - 150 quid as a new main phone and put the current one in to semi-retirement?

am i pushing my luck expecting the g8 to keep going much longer in regular use?

hmm.

the old phone i use as a spare phone and for one or two things that use a phone number for login but i don't want to be found by everyone who knows my usual phone number, is coming to the end of its useful life - must be 10 years old, and is on android 4.something so an increasing number of things don't work any more.

my regular phone is 3 and a bit years old - a moto g8 - and is perfectly adequate for what i do.

looks like anything decent / refurbished is going to be 50 quid upwards, as a replacement for the spare phone, or can get something new and basic for not much more.

or do i get something for 100 - 150 quid as a new main phone and put the current one in to semi-retirement?

am i pushing my luck expecting the g8 to keep going much longer in regular use?
There's a coupon for £20 off a Poco M6 that make it £99. And it's fine. I'd personally get something a bit beefier, but it just about meets my minimum standard for being a decent day-to-day phone. It's shedloads better than a Moto G8, at any rate.
Only thing against it is no 5G for the future (it's fairly irrelevant now).

Back
Top Bottom