Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cheap Android phone recommendations

Has anyone here got a Pixel 7a? How do you find the battery life. My partners phone (my old P30) is dying. She's been putting of replacing it, but the speaker cuts out randomly. It it's favour Google offer 0% fiance and she's unsure about work in a few months time, so would rather not hand out a chunk of cash if it can be avoided. Samsung do the same, but there mid range phones on their own website and considerably more then just buying them from Amazon.

Has anyone here got a Pixel 7a? How do you find the battery life. My partners phone (my old P30) is dying. She's been putting of replacing it, but the speaker cuts out randomly. It it's favour Google offer 0% fiance and she's unsure about work in a few months time, so would rather not hand out a chunk of cash if it can be avoided. Samsung do the same, but there mid range phones on their own website and considerably more then just buying them from Amazon.
I have the 7, which is as close as makes little difference in terms of battery life. It's less than I had on my old phone (Honor V20, close relative of the P30), which was a solid 2-day charge device. However, I've never once had trouble with it lasting the day. It just doesn't do two.

I have the 7, which is as close as makes little difference in terms of battery life. It's less than I had on my old phone (Honor V20, close relative of the P30), which was a solid 2-day charge device. However, I've never once had trouble with it lasting the day. It just doesn't do two.

I'd say the same of my 7pro.
Day and a half with wi-fi, Bluetooth and location all switched on all the time.

I don't hammer it or play games though, and it automatically gets linked by cable to the car if it's more than a 4 minute drive for traffic and podcasts, so gets a boost then.

I've never had a red battery symbol in the 18 months I've had it.

HTH

Also, Samsung A54 is on offer on Amazon today.
128gb version is £349 (RRP £449) plus you can pay over 5 interest free payments of £69.80 ( but that might be a Prime thing, dunno )
Three year warranty too

Comparable phone, better battery life, loses out on some specs compared to the 7a.

Deal: Samsung Galaxy A54 5G Mobile Phone 6.4 Inch Infinity-O FHD+ screen 128GB Light Violet 3 Year Extended Manufacturer Warranty (UK Version) https://amzn.eu/d/fK4Eznx

Yeah, 7a is more powerful but it takes a lot out of the battery to get that. The A54 should last 2 days. I'd say unless you're a gamer you wouldn't notice the CPU/GPU difference and then it comes down to magic Google camera software vs. longer battery on the Samsung. They're both fast enough, both have good camera hardware (if not software), both are waterproof and have longer than average support.

Thanks all. She doesn't use her phone that intensively, so think the battery life on the 7a should be fine then. I'm sure either would be fine for really, but the Google finance probably swings it.

I was never blown away by the Pixel 6 battery. It's fine, but could better, think my old P30 when it was new but was more impressive. I never run out of charge, but when I'm using it to navigate in the hills I like to finish with plenty in reserve. Luckily her use case is very different to mine.

Thanks all. She doesn't use her phone that intensively, so think the battery life on the 7a should be fine then. I'm sure either would be fine for really, but the Google finance probably swings it.

I was never blown away by the Pixel 6 battery. It's fine, but could better, think my old P30 when it was new but was more impressive. I never run out of charge, but when I'm using it to navigate in the hills I like to finish with plenty in reserve. Luckily her use case is very different to mine.
The thing is that the P30 was a fucking monster! Incredible battery life and incredible battery and I would probably be using a P70 or whatever it is now if Trump hadn't banned them.
My Pixel Pro 7 has a decent enough battery life and I'm absolutely delighted with its camera. There's loads of video comparisons between the Pixel 7 and the iPhone 13 and it more than holds its own in some areas (but not video).

It's an absolute bargain for £329.

The thing is that the P30 was a fucking monster! Incredible battery life and incredible battery and I would probably be using a P70 or whatever it is now if Trump hadn't banned them.
My Pixel Pro 7 has a decent enough battery life and I'm absolutely delighted with its camera. There's loads of video comparisons between the Pixel 7 and the iPhone 13 and it more than holds its own in some areas (but not video).

It's an absolute bargain for £329.

Yes, I'd still be using the P30 tbh if it worked fine. First the GPS failed a few years, which is why I passed it on, now the speaker is slowly going, but it was a great phone.

The concern over the 7a battery life is that's it's got the same CPU as the Pro with a smaller battery, but as others have pointed out, it will be fine.

My last 2 Xiaomi phones have had amazing battery life. An easy all day and through to 7am the next day. Coupled with fast charging to full in less than an hour makes very useful for me.
I've had Xiaomi phones since the Mi5. Before that I had mostly Samsung's. I'd probably choose Xiaomi over any other phone now, although their prices have gone a bit silly over the last few years, but they're still cheaper than equivalent spec phones from other manufacturers.
I couldn't justify a flagship phone this time round, so I got a Poco X6 Pro. It's a powerful phone, even compared to much more expensive phones, and way faster than any of the Google stuff. It's up there with phones twice it's price.

I have a Pixel 7a and the battery was fine until the last couple of weeks when it has started to deteriorate for some reason. Previously had a Pixel 4 which was and is a great phone albeit with no more security updates. Pixel 7a has been a nightmare since Android 14 failing to update despite numerous full factory resets and the only solution I found was to enrol it in the Android Beta Program which fixed the security updates. I'm no expert but I suspect the issues are connected to Google's exclusive Tensor processor.

Miss the telephoto on the Pixel 4 and the smaller size.

I've found a pixel pro 6 second hand for £240ish.

Is there anything else out there between £200-£400 that I should consider? I have the Sony MK3 second hand but the battery has gone awful and I've actually found this much worse than the MK2. I picked it up for around £355 and it's only really lasted 14 months which is annoying.

My primary needs these days is decent memory and camera. Can be new I was mainly buying second hand for environmental reasons, but would be good to know my choices as I'm out the loop these days with phones.

I'm going to try and hold off on the pixel for now and see if I can squeeze this to the summer at least.

What am I missing? I dropped my Samsung S20 FE from my pocket off an electric scooter out here in Lanzarote Friday and the screen was completely gone by yesterday morning. Bought a Redmi A2 in a random shop for not very much and it appears to be a like for better swap. Didn't plug it in overnight and in 8 hours the battery dropped about 3%. Am I just not used to brand new, boxfresh phone?

An A2 is quite literally the slowest phone you can buy. Performance costs energy, and the S20 was fairly high spec in its day. Like even though it's several years old, it's many times faster than the A2. The A2 simply needs less power because it's providing less to you.

Now that being said, I believe the A2 runs a very stripped back version of Android (Android Go), so it shouldn't be quite so noticeably slow. But load up a busy web site and the difference should be pretty stark.

Have they still banned apps/Google Store from Chinese mobiles or was that only when Trump was in?

Thinking of getting this one but not sure if it is restricted in anyway.

An A2 is quite literally the slowest phone you can buy. Performance costs energy, and the S20 was fairly high spec in its day. Like even though it's several years old, it's many times faster than the A2. The A2 simply needs less power because it's providing less to you.

Now that being said, I believe the A2 runs a very stripped back version of Android (Android Go), so it shouldn't be quite so noticeably slow. But load up a busy web site and the difference should be pretty stark.

Few days in...doesn't wireless charge, doesn't do contactless payment, camera not as good....but if I didn't have the insurance that's sending me another Samsung, I'd stick with it

Have they still banned apps/Google Store from Chinese mobiles or was that only when Trump was in?

That was just huawei wasn't it? Shame. My p30 was an amazing phone for it's time.

So long as you don't get one with a Chinese ROM, you'll be fine.

Reactions: Chz
Have a Redmi Note 12 Pro in the house. Can say it fully supports everything it needs to.

Okay thanks. That's the Xiaomi site when I entered Xiaomi in google. Surely no Chinese ROM?
I was just looking at the specs of the pro and the pro+. The pro+ has the Mediatek processor (despite what that link is saying), Vs the Qualcomm Snapdragon in the pro. If you plan on flashing the phone with the Xiaomi.eu ROM (not to be confused with Xiaomi's EU ROM), the snapdragon processor would be a better choice. As far as custom ROM development is concerned, there's very little support for the Mediatek processors, as Mediatek don't release the source code for the kernel, but it won't make any difference unless you want to install a custom ROM.

My OH never got round to ordering a Pixel 7a and they are now back up to £449. I see the Pixel 8a is out next month.

Back
Top Bottom