Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cheap Android phone recommendations

^ that is odd :D. Then again I'm no good at ideograms.

I didn't realise Lenovo owned Motorola now. When I bought my last laptop a couple of years ago I steared clear of Lenovo after the pre-installed adware issue
Remember when Lenovo sold PCs with Superfish adware? It just got a mild scolding from FTC
Most mobile phones are assembled in China these days. Hopefully Lenovo have sorted the security issues out?

At under £200 think the best options are

Honor 10 Lite. 3400 mAh battery, 3GB RAM, 64GB ROM, £188 at amazon

Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite (Redmi 6 Pro). 4000 mAh battery, 4GB RAM, 64GB ROM, £183 at amazon

Motorola Moto G7 Power. 5000 mAh battery, 4GB RAM, 64GB ROM, £180 at lenovo

Okay, I tried to get a second hand phone recently and it hasn't gone great, so I'm going to buy a new phone. Is the best budget phone for camera the Moto G6/7?

Well I got the G6, and in doing so discovered Amazon Warehouse. Their returns re-sold at a good discount, and you still get the option to return if you aren't happy. Nobody has ever mentioned this to me before. Go to 'used' sales to see the Amazon Warehouse options. Got the G6 for £152. They have some with screen imperfections for £125.

My Motorola G4 plus turned out to be fairly crap - though it was a special economy version made for Amazon.

It developed phantom screen touches from new and the screen was replaced under warranty, but a couple of years later I have to rub then tap the screen every time I wake the phone .

Also the battery life is shit and has noticeably deteriorated so I will at least have to solder in a new battery even if I don't pluck up the courage to replace the screen myself.

Perhaps for perverseness I will deliberately buy Huawei next.

Last edited:
After 4 and a half years the Samsung s5 is finally failing on several fronts... So I got a Moto g7 power. Absolutely fine and was happy with it until this evening.

When I got it I asked the sales assistant "does it have 5ghz WiFi?". He thought it did, and the info he had said it did. I spent a few hours setting it up and got a case (my phones get rough treatment - gardening, walking, building, etc).

So tonight I was in the shed and went to connect to the 5ghz only garden router... And yes, first world problems.. it can't connect to 5ghz. Some subsequent searches show that they can't, but their marketing blurb says they can.

Tedious... Oh well. Got it from John Lewis as they had it cheap and they are good at returns. At least I will be limited to a few alternatives as I can't be arsed thinking about it any more.

Is there such a thing?

Being a pauper and living in 21st century Britain I need one. All I have is a vodafone Smart First 7 which cost me £25!

Needless to say it's a bit rubbish :D though tbh I knew it would be and that's fine, but it'd be nice to have the tech that could reliably run things like M ticket apps.

Cheers

I'm sure you can get an old Iphone for less than 100. The one I use is secondhand and seems fine. payg sim a tenner a month.

Is there such a thing?

Being a pauper and living in 21st century Britain I need one. All I have is a vodafone Smart First 7 which cost me £25!

Needless to say it's a bit rubbish :D though tbh I knew it would be and that's fine, but it'd be nice to have the tech that could reliably run things like M ticket apps.

Cheers
the smart v8 and smart v10 are great phones, on Android marshmallow and pie respectively.

you can get the V10 for £105 PAYG or you can pick up a V8 on ebay for about £70 , you can always get them unlocked.

TBH the v8 is better IMO

Last edited:
I'd go with a Xiaomi

Redmi 6A is £99 at Amazon with 12 GB Three Data sim (you don't need to use that sim, it's unlocked) Do the promotion to add the EE Flex sim as well for a penny, and you'll get a £10 Amazon voucher for a future purchase.

No idea if the Redmi 6A is better than the Note 5, (ETA: A quick glance suggests the Note 5 is probably better) others will be able to help in that regard as I'm more an Apple person.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GWNNC7K

Last edited:
The xiaomi advice above is good advice.

I recently bought a Moto G7 Play for lil'Angel from Argos - just over a ton at £129
Great phone, dual sim, stock android afaik (which is what I like about Moto's) great camera (13mp) according to LA, fingerprint sensor, micro sd slot,
Full specs here

G6play is currently £99.97 on Amazon too if price is critical. Similar prices elsewhere too.

Had this g7 power for a few months and am perfectly content with it. Love the fact that you can just leave it for a couple of days and it still has power.

Went on the train to London and back yesterday - 2 hours each way of listening, browsing, etc. And was doing a fair bit of phone peaking in the office for 7 hours. It was on 76% battery when I started the day and was on 30% when I switched it off at 11pm.

Am looking for a small android phone, ideally under £200 but will pay a bit more for the right model.

Any suggestions?

As it happens, the GPS seems borked on Mrs. C's Mi A1. And, being a Pokemon Go fanatic, this is outright unacceptable.

So I'm in the market, too. I think there should be something with a BIG.little SoC instead of the little.little most things in that bracket have. I'll have to do some sniffing about to see what there is. Unless I can somehow fix a broken GPS. (yeah, right)

Hoping I can maybe find an Honor 8x for that price somewhere. That would be lovely.

A quick look round gives me a shortlist of Honor 10 Lite, Xiaomi Note 7, and Xiaomi Mi A3. The last one would be a dead cert if not for the lower resolution screen. Which might be fine, but I wouldn't know without actually seeing it.

Edit: This is without grey market imports, since I'm going to need it quickly.

Back
Top Bottom