Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Change UK: Chuka Umunna resigns from Labour party and launches Independent Group

I wouldn't be amazed if she was deselected tbh - but there's also a good chance there won't be a selection anyway, as she'll be automatically reselected if there's a snap election.

The local party have been trying to deselect her for years and haven't managed it yet. Although weirdly, from what I've heard, now might be the time as Progress and Momentum both dislike her. But like you say if there's a snap election they won't be able to, and frankly they haven't got their shit together to do it so far.

Others have pointed out on other threads that she is very popular among some voters locally as she's by all accounts very good with constituency work, especially amongst the council estates and has done a lot of work helping residents stand up to shit from Lambeth Council. She was my MP at one point before boundary changes and I had cause to write to her a few times and she always responded very quickly. I can't stand her views on Brexit personally, but a lot of people equally couldn't give two shits about it as an issue either way. If she's still the candidate she'll win.

The local party have been trying to deselect her for years and haven't managed it yet. Although weirdly, from what I've heard, now might be the time as Progress and Momentum both dislike her. But like you say if there's a snap election they won't be able to, and frankly they haven't got their shit together to do it so far.
the last opportunity to actually deselect her was in the run up to the 2015 GE, when I don't imagine there would have been any call to deselect her as brexit wasn't an issue for the vast majority of people so her views on it will have been pretty insignificant. Things have changed a lot since then, and I'd say there's a very good chance of her being deselected if we make it to 2022. IIRC the opportunity to trigger a competition is around 12 months before the date of the expected next GE - it doesn't matter how organised the local opposition to Hoey is before then.

Ugh. It could be so long before the next election the ChUK party actually builds up a profile - especially if they get some MEP's elected :mad:

the last opportunity to actually deselect her was in the run up to the 2015 GE, when I don't imagine there would have been any call to deselect her as brexit wasn't an issue for the vast majority of people so her views on it will have been pretty insignificant. Things have changed a lot since then, and I'd say there's a very good chance of her being deselected if we make it to 2022. IIRC the opportunity to trigger a competition is around 12 months before the date of the expected next GE - it doesn't matter how organised the local opposition to Hoey is before then.
tbh my comment was made on the the assumption that there would be an election this year, which I think there will be. If we make it to 2022 without an election, we're truly fucked.

tbh my comment was made on the the assumption that there would be an election this year, which I think there will be. If we make it to 2022 without an election, we're truly fucked.

I still think we'll have an election this year, but not before the Euro's unless we all pull our fingers out.

Watchdog rejects Independent Group's 'misleading' European elections logo

In a blow for the new group, the Electoral Commission said the party’s choice of emblem for ballot papers - a black square with the initials "TIG" and the hashtag "#change" - was "likely to mislead voters".

And it said their chosen acronym was not “sufficiently well known” to give the public a clear idea of who they were backing when they mark their crosses next month....
:D

I read earlier that the brexit party was charging £100 to apply to be a candidate. I read it in a comment on either conservative home or order order so its probably bollocks but I'd really like it to be true
Hence 'expressions of interest'.

'Hi, I'd like to stand for you.'

'Ok, put 100 quid to this paypal account and we'll get an application form right off to you.'

'Er, ok. I'll get back to you.'

I read earlier that the brexit party was charging £100 to apply to be a candidate. I read it in a comment on either conservative home or order order so its probably bollocks but I'd really like it to be true

£100? Fuck that, I am only prepared to take a punt with small Change. ;)

Back
Top Bottom