Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Change UK: Chuka Umunna resigns from Labour party and launches Independent Group

Really? I'd be fascinated to hear which other areas you think they're likely to make actual gains in (which I take to mean winning actual seats) either in the so-to-be-held Euro elections or in the next GE
I'm currently in North East Hants - largest tory majority in the Commons, voted 52% remain, with a staunch ERG supporting MP , to the point local UKIIP dissolved itself. The council is NOC, but thats purely because the Lib Dems in the largest town here grasped it is a tainted brand and stood as a rebranded NIMBY group.
Labour don't get a look in.. Ummuna/Soubry lot potentially could shake up local politics here more than anything else in decades.

their polling isn't too looking too great - sub 5%. and apparently some of those have polled were pro-leavers who said they'd vote for them based purely on their name.

And minor parties usually do less well than polling would suggest IIRC, on account of people changing their minds in the booth and picking a safe /familliar option instead.

I'm currently in North East Hants - largest tory majority in the Commons, voted 52% remain, with a staunch ERG supporting MP , to the point local UKIIP dissolved itself. The council is NOC, but thats purely because the Lib Dems in the largest town here grasped it is a tainted brand and stood as a rebranded NIMBY group.
Labour don't get a look in.. Ummuna/Soubry lot potentially could shake up local politics here more than anything else in decades.
All eyes on NE Hants next time then...

All eyes on NE Hants next time then...
Politics is broken and the fissures are intersting. I doubt Ranal will lose his seat but its ripe for a mix up. Also an interesting area in Tory heartland that has no sub identity beyond English not like the Geirdies Londobers Welsh etc So an obstercal to federal UK which enough people who voted No in the Scottish referendum were holding out for.

Everywhere is different, but can't see things will go back to how things were. The genie is out of the bottle

Politics is broken and the fissures are intersting. I doubt Ranal will lose his seat but its ripe for a mix up. Also an interesting area in Tory heartland that has no sub identity beyond English not like the Geirdies Londobers Welsh etc So an obstercal to federal UK which enough people who voted No in the Scottish referendum were holding out for.

Everywhere is different, but can't see things will go back to how things were. The genie is out of the bottle

Not sure how any of that points to Chuka's chums as likely to make actual gains, TBH

Not sure how any of that points to Chuka's chums as likely to make actual gains, TBH
I not sure gains as such, many of the MP"s that split will lose their seats.. But I think they could take others say assuming Kate Joey keeps her candidacy who does a hunt sabing pro EU Labour voter in her constuency vote for (shall find out Saturday) The dynamics on the fissure on that side are different but still in play.

The biggest draw backs to new parties are funding (and I suspect this mob have easy access to cash (as WS Burroughs advised "watch whose money you pick up") And media coverage the formula for that, based on previous votes, screws them - but social media is a bigger thing these days, and while it won't be enough to help dissemi ate their message its a strong enough platform for them to get over how heavily the deck is stacked, which helps them

Back
Top Bottom