Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Change UK: Chuka Umunna resigns from Labour party and launches Independent Group

A radical alternative would be to pioneer an entirely new form of company. TheBig Innovation Centre has launched a debate on "Public Benefit Companies".This model could achieve the goal of public purpose, without costing the public purse a penny. An incoming progressive government could legislate to force companies providing key public services to write the provision of public benefit into their constitution, taking precedence over profit-making. It can then insist on taking a "foundation share" in each company as a condition of its operating licence. This share can be used to install non-executive directors tasked with seeing that the company delivers its newly enshrined public purpose.
Ohh, so radical a wet rehash of the same unless ombudsmen we have now.

But is it bad enough to be worth reading for entertainment purposes?
Honestly? Not really, It generally just confirms ideas you might have about the Tingers and what they stand for. It will probably be good value in the future for pointing out hypocrisy but I don’t subscribe to gotcha culture anyway - it’s clear what they want, it’s what you always thought, and nobody worth arguing with takes them seriously enough for direct examples to be worth citing.

I did find his bitter comments about the perception of centrism a bit funny.

A reconfiguration between the LDs and Tinge. Cable has been talking about it for weeks

OK, I hadn't been aware of that, TBH

Apparently, the LibDems
now sit alongside the Independent Group (Tig) as the joint-fourth largest grouping in the House of Commons, with 11 MPs. But while the breakaway group of ex-Conservative and Labour MPs has the benefit of being a new entity attracting considerable attention, the Liberal Democrats have struggled to make headway in the opinion polls and both the Lib Dems and Tig have dismissed talk of any kind of merger.

So I don't think Cable's retirement necessarily has anything to do with Chuka's mob

Not sure where that quote comes from but "both the Lib Dems and Tig have dismissed talk of any kind of merger" may be technically true but it isnt the whole picture
There has been endless talk about 'arrangements' between the two groups in the press, often coming from Cable himself
Vince Cable: I’ll build a new home for Labour rebels

Last time i looked the impression was definitely agreement about an informal arrangement so they wouldnt stand against each other, and that regular meetings were taking place about a common strategy. From Cables mouth below:
Vince Cable confirms that there will be weekly meetings between LD and TINGE, and was prepared to go as far as to say there will be some kind of "arrangement" around who will stand in which seats.

TINGE want to form a 'party' by the autumn (conference season?) and Lib Dems are now going through another moment of change - a new leader will have the choice whether to align more closely with TINGE or not. Cable was broadly supportive - it will be mildly interesting to see what the new leader does about it, if anything. Logic dictates they should form an alliance, but who knows.

Not sure where that quote comes from but "both the Lib Dems and Tig have dismissed talk of any kind of merger" may be technically true but it isnt the whole picture
There has been endless talk about 'arrangements' between the two groups in the press, often coming from Cable himself

Last time i looked the impression was definitely agreement about an informal arrangement so they wouldnt stand against each other, and that regular meetings were taking place about a common strategy. From Cables mouth below:

TINGE want to form a 'party' by the autumn (conference season?) and Lib Dems are now going through another moment of change - a new leader will have the choice whether to align more closely with TINGE or not. Cable was broadly supportive - it will be mildly interesting to see what the new leader does about it, if anything. Logic dictates they should form an alliance, but who knows.

Sorry, meant to include link. It came from here
What next for the Liberal Democrats?

Tinge will get tango'd

Back
Top Bottom