Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Change UK: Chuka Umunna resigns from Labour party and launches Independent Group

Maybe underfunding and privatising the NHS was a bit too much, even for the tiggers.

IIRC she was never a minister, and spoke out about some of that from the backbenches. It just seems odd that here is a person with 20+ years as a GP being responsible for "new colleagues" rather than getting easy headlines like "GP of 20 years rubbishes Matt Hancock". The only reason I can think of would be because of her being chair of the Health & Social Care Select Committee, though Berger is on that as well.

Before the next election they are going to have to turn themselves into a party, their main selling point at the moment is what they aren't, but if they're going to stand for election as a group next time, they need a platform that they can present to the punters, which means running as a party not a group of vaguely connected individuals who are just unhappy with the current state of affairs.

Looks like they might actually be following through with the party thing.

Independent Group 'in talks about becoming a political party'

And they've given themselves roles like in a real party and everything...

_105853592_independent_mps_v4_640-nc.png

Not sure how busy Sarah Wollaston is likely to be in the near future though...

Lets see how Heidi Allen shapes up, lorts of emoting in the past, but then the votes.

having said that I will be writing to her about social care.

Wollaston not having the Health brief is a bit odd, though.
She's a bit off-message.
She has ... also delivered numerous warnings over NHS funding
"I am afraid the prime minister simply hasn’t delivered on the pledge she made on the steps of Downing Street to tackle the burning injustices in our society."
"After becoming an MP for the Leopards Eating People's Faces Party I am shocked to discover that they are actively enabling the eating of people's faces by leopards"
I might have made up one of those quotes.

Has anyone heard anything (recent -- last couple of days) about Stephen Kinnock either defecting to the TIGs, just generally defecting from the LP, or (even) standing down as an MP??

There was an ultra-brief and very vaguely worded mention of Kinnock (Jr.) going, right at the start of News At Ten last night when the Wales section introduces its headlines. But we were about to switch off and go to bed at that point, and I've heard zero since about this. Did I imagine it maybe? :confused:

Quick search on the BBC and Guardian sites only brings up old-ish stories ... ??? Apologies if I've made this up or if I'm just being dense :oops:

Back
Top Bottom