Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Celery leaves

Do you include celerey leaves along with the rest of the celery in e.g. soup etc

• Total voters
Celery and cucumber = two most pointless watery tasting, yet still disgusting tasting vegetables available

Eh? Celery ain't tasteless you buffoon. It's a central ingredient in many a 'trinity' of stock bases, from Cajun mirepoix to Italian soffritos, capable of flavouring big pots of stews and surviving lengthy cooking. I'm far from the greatest fan of raw celery (yuk), but it's a wonderful and irreplaceable ingredient in the right (cooked) dish.

I don't like old/ dark green celery leaves from the outside, but the heart leaves (ie the pale ones) are quite nice as a garnish or as part of a side salad. Tough stalks are for stews and soups......

Eh? Celery ain't tasteless you buffoon. It's a central ingredient in many a 'trinity' of stock bases, from Cajun mirepoix to Italian soffritos, capable of flavouring big pots of stews and surviving lengthy cooking. I'm far from the greatest fan of raw celery (yuk), but it's a wonderful and irreplaceable ingredient in the right (cooked) dish.

Actually, the tasteless bit was meant to refer to just cucumber. Apologies

Still disgusting though

Celery and cucumber = two most pointless watery tasting, yet still disgusting tasting vegetables available

Not a huge fan of celery but cucumber is wonderful and anyone who doesn't like it is seriously missing out on one of life's great pleasures.
Now leeks, that's a really disgusting vegetable (more the texture than the taste).

Not a huge fan of celery but cucumber is wonderful and anyone who doesn't like it is seriously missing out on one of life's great pleasures.
Now leeks, that's a really disgusting vegetable (more the texture than the taste).

Loads of people hate cucumber

Leeks are nice

I am tickled that the poll allows multiple votes for a yes/no question. :D

I like celery raw and as a base in cooking all sorts of things and as a hot vegetable in its own right. Out and out celeryphile here.

There is some genetic mutation in people who find cucumber objectionable, isn't there? Same as for people who think coriander tastes of soap - pretty common genetic mutations, if I'm remembering my ancient biology lectures properly. I might not be, mind.

I
There is some genetic mutation in people who find cucumber objectionable, isn't there? Same as for people who think coriander tastes of soap - pretty common genetic mutations, if I'm remembering my ancient biology lectures properly. I might not be, mind.

Can you remember if involves some folks finding it noticeably more bitter than others? That's more my experience - I find cucumber vaguely irritating rather than soothing like others. I've also been led to believe that it may explain why I can't love brussel sprouts, despite cooking them every which way imaginable. Just too darn bitter.

Loads of people voted for Hitler.

Cucumber salad is an essential accompaniment to many middle eastern recipes and goes great with curry as well.

Cucumber salad is an essential ingredient with lots of cultures. I normally have to flick it to the side and then decontaminate my cutlery

Reactions: Chz
Cucumber is awful, tastes like soily water. Celery is quite nice to scoop peanut butter up with but after a stick or two I've had enough.
You've certainly had enough peanut butter at that point, true.

Love celery, no time for cucumber.

Think I made a cucumber pakora once, slicing it with a potatoe peeler then squeezing the water out of it before mixing it with herbs and the gram flour. Didn't help.

Can you remember if involves some folks finding it noticeably more bitter than others? That's more my experience - I find cucumber vaguely irritating rather than soothing like others. I've also been led to believe that it may explain why I can't love brussel sprouts, despite cooking them every which way imaginable. Just too darn bitter.

Bitter, yeah, that definitely rings a bell. I'm racking my brains to remember more but it is eluding me. If I manage to scrape anything up from the memory banks, you'll be the first to know.

How very dare you :D
:D

I like both but actually don't eat cucumber which repeats like a boss on me for hours, which is a shame.

I love celery as a cooking ingredient - really like the taste. Not too keen on the raw stuff - stringy and yuk. The celery leaf that tarranau mentions is an essential afaic - I grow it cos you can't seem to buy it here.

Cucumber can do one .

My brother in law recently cooked some lovely purple sprouts he'd grown. Didn't taste nearly as horrible as green ones

So are the leaves of this "celery leaf" plant equally as obnoxious as the leaves found inside the celery stalks that are typically available in UK shops?

The organic shop sells celery with loads of bright green, tasty leaves, where as supermarkets castrate celery. It must save on the packaging and increase profits for them.

I expect "the housewife" is to blame again. The ones who demand 8 tomatoes to the pound.

I am tickled that the poll allows multiple votes for a yes/no question. :D

I like celery raw and as a base in cooking all sorts of things and as a hot vegetable in its own right. Out and out celeryphile here.

I thought that was sprouts.

cucumber does give some people indigestion. I usually discard the skin. They are just refreshing. Nothing to get offended at.

I don't mind celery cooked, I don't think.

Back
Top Bottom