Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cardiff City RedBlueDragonBirds 2012-2013 season

My opinion is AGAIN (and I'm sure I've already stated it here somewhere hence change the record) it ain't going to happen and in the very unlikely event it does we'll cross that bridge when it comes. But I'm not going to debate something that as it currently stands has 0.00001% chance of happening.

People are reading way too much into a cheap scarf. It was a free gift so we're lucky that any of the spelling was correct and not in broken Chinese.

My opinion is AGAIN (and I'm sure I've already stated it here somewhere hence change the record) it ain't going to happen and in the very unlikely event it does we'll cross that bridge when it comes. But I'm not going to debate something that as it currently stands has 0.00001% chance of happening.

People are reading way too much into a cheap scarf. It was a free gift so we're lucky that any of the spelling was correct and not in broken Chinese.
:facepalm:

You're actually saying that fans should consider themselves 'lucky' that the owner of our club only managed to get the name 50% wrong?

Who is 'we' and why would the rreaction be any different to the reaction to the change of colour?

The royal we.

I've already explained personally why.

If 'we' did not feel the need to object en mass to a change of kit colour, i cant see 'we' being too bothered about the bluebird.

'We' have already dropped 'our' trousers and bent over, so i dont see why 'we' should complain if we get a peck on the cheek after.

If 'we' are happy to wave around rebranded red scarves containing the wrong name for the club with a barely visible Bluebird and a made up strapline and emblem, I would have thought that 'we' would be quite likely to accept a name change too. After all, it's all in the name of SUCCESS, and 'we' want that at any cost, don't 'we'?

cardiff-city-scarves.jpg

More: http://www.urban75.org/blog/cardiff-city-fc-a-simple-guide-to-scarf-etiquette/

Does it really? Or maybe it just reflects the fact that I've never had to use the official coaches.

:facepalm:

Vince pops up on the welsh news sometimes as a cardiff city talking head but then you wouldn't see that as you're in london.

The almighty one has spoken K-aardiff fans better be nice to him otherwise he might be off, the war chest if there ever was one seems to be down from 50 big ones to 25 big ones and it has been put out there that there might be no more Cardiff City anymore but Cardiff Dragons.

I hope you K-aardiff traditionalists and true loyal supporters have a stash of old blue shirts with bluebird badges on them as the last traces of a once proud club could be about to die. :(

We know what football rivalries are like the world over but as a Swansea fan i think its very sad to see Cardiff's heritage disappearing as it would be for any established football team if the fans don't want change.

Cardiff being Welsh should remember Wrexham, they were the 'Robins' and changed to the 'Red Dragons' they suffered relegation after relegation and dropped out of the football league being on the verge of going bust, yet Cardiff's Malaysian owners are apparently trying to change Cardiff into a team that play in red and are known as the Dragons, saying it will be lucky ! :rolleyes: , it seems as if some Asians think they have a monopoly on mystic things then they are in for a surprise, if they fool with Welsh mythology then they run the risk of displeasing our ancient Gods and woe betide anybody that does that.
King Arthur and the boys are waiting for the bell and if you are on the wrong side of the divide or collaborating with the other side then i wouldn't want to be in your shoes.;):)

Jesus h christ...tan's interviewed on bbc wales news this evening trying to justify the bloody rebranding. No doubt 1927 and gromit will be fine with the fucking name change. Words fail me.

First the kit, then the name. Wonder if in a few years time he'll announce that in order to maximise the brand's potential in emerging east Asian markets he's going to move the club somewhere entirely different at his whim. It's a fucking hideous farce. And yeah, as you say, do those supporters of the rebrand draw the line here, and if not, where?

I must say, after reading Tan's interview it's certainly a case of "Fuck you, I'm going to try and make as much money out of this venture as possible".

And this quote pretty much supports that.

A few were upset but like in any business if we get 80% or 75% of the customers happy, with 20-25% not happy, that's fine

I think the 20-25% who will not be happy are the die hard life long supporters. And I know of no business who wants that percentage of customers to be un-happy and not give a shit about it.

I've been trying to keep out of this but that article rings all sorts of alarm bells. You lot owe him £63 million now, do you?

"Have they achieved any success under this bluebirds brand?," he asked "So why do we hold onto something that hasn't achieved much success?"

First the kit, then the name. Wonder if in a few years time he'll announce that in order to maximise the brand's potential in emerging east Asian markets he's going to move the club somewhere entirely different at his whim. It's a fucking hideous farce. And yeah, as you say, do those supporters of the rebrand draw the line here, and if not, where?
This is what I've been saying all along. And if the 'fans' are happy to go along with the colour change, the badge change, the nickname change and all his other shitty changes, what's to stop him doing whatever the fuck he likes now?
After buying more than 35% of the club's shares for £6m in 2010, the 61-year-old Malaysian threatened to withdraw his support in June unless the club agreed to ditch its traditional blue home shirts in favour of red ones.
The new colours were accepted, so too a new badge as a Welsh dragon replaced the bluebird, and further investment followed.
In an interview with BBC Wales' Sport Wales programme, he justified the "controversial decision" of the club's colours, and stressed he is prepared to and intends to make more changes.
"A few were upset but like in any business if we get 80% or 75% of the customers happy, with 20-25% not happy, that's fine," he said.
"If they don't want to come to support our business, that's fine. We need the majority."
He added: "I believe the change is for the better. And if you put in a lot of money, surely you have the right to make a call on some things you believe will make it better.
"If you don't have a say, why the hell do you want to put in so much money?"

Listen to the way that fucking twat Tan dismisses fans who dare to have a different opinion to him:
A section of Cardiff fans continue to oppose Tan's colour change. A protest was held at the end of the last home game to Brighton - which Tan attended - when free red scarves were handed out.
Tan referred to the dissenting voices as "a bunch of mostly young kids" and argued a change was long overdue.
"Have they achieved any success under this bluebirds brand?," he asked "So why do we hold onto something that hasn't achieved much success?

Championship Play-off Runners-up: – 2010
Championship Play-off Semi-finalists: – 2011, 2012
FA Cup Runners-up: – 2008
Football League Cup Runners-up: – 2012

Yep. Nothing but failure.

How many people do you seriously think will be shouting for the red dragons this season?there has never been any suggestion that we will be anything other than the Bluebirds and to imply other wise just detracts from the whole red argument and weakens the case of the keep cardiff blue brigade and makes them look like a load of whinging girls.
Requoted for posterity.

This is what I've been saying all along. And if the 'fans' are happy to go along with the colour change, the badge change, the nickname change and all his other shitty changes, what's to stop him doing whatever the fuck he likes now?

Tan's quote highlights the utter incompatibility (from a fan POV) of clubs being regarded as just another 'business' to be changed, repackaged, rebranded, moved and squeezed for every drop of revenue available with notions of their being of and for the community, with history and identity rooted locally through successive generations of fans.

Nobody would give a fuck if PriceWaterhouseCooper rebranded or changed their name because there is no emotional stake of or by the people in such an entity. Tan sees CCFC as such, though, and fuck the history, passion, commitment of the actual people on which the club is founded. He doesn't actually need them for his Premiership Dream, he just needs a bunch of bodies to make sufficient noise in the stadium so as to appear attractive to the market he is targeting in Asia. This he'll get, because there will always be sufficient numbers who'll turn up to watch a prem match, even though the passion is lacking.

CCFC is dead. No longer a club founded on and representing the aspirations and passions of the people of Cardiff. Now a plastic entity designed to make money out of Malaysian people. How very, very sad.

Jesus h christ...tan's interviewed on bbc wales news this evening trying to justify the bloody rebranding. No doubt 1927 and gromit will be fine with the fucking name change. Words fail me.

Don't you guys know by now how the media work. Deliberately stirring up nothing into something?

Reporter: (dug up some pub rumours) Are you going to call them Cardiff Dragons?
Tan talking in his non native language: No such plans but I retain my right to make decisions about the club in the future.
BBC: He said perhaps to Cardiff Dragons!

It could also be perhaps to 0-101 other re branding possibilities from no further re-branding required to being called the Kuala Lumpur Lemurs. Spec-u-bloody-lation!

Tan's quote highlights the utter incompatibility (from a fan POV) of clubs being regarded as just another 'business' to be changed, repackaged, rebranded, moved and squeezed for every drop of revenue available with notions of their being of and for the community, with history and identity rooted locally through successive generations of fans.

The club has been a business squeezing every inch of revenue out of me possible since I started supporting over 20 years ago.
"community, with history and identity rooted locally through successive generations of fans" was one of the mechanisms that helped achieve this.
Tan is trying a different mechanism. Wipe the slate clean and lets have some success.

I'm not saying which one is better but don't delude yourselves that the objective is any different, to make money.

Don't you guys know by now how the media work. Deliberately stirring up nothing into something?

Reporter: (dug up some pub rumours) Are you going to call them Cardiff Dragons?
Tan talking in his non native language: No such plans but I retain my right to make decisions about the club in the future.
BBC: He said perhaps to Cardiff Dragons!

It could also be perhaps to 0-101 other re branding possibilities from no further re-branding required to being called the Kuala Lumpur Lemurs. Spec-u-bloody-lation!
This exactly what happened with the red shirts. Tan floats the idea, fans go mad, Tan retracts the idea - and then refloats it again, but ties it in with the promise of more investment - or else.

It looks like you're about to be suckered again.

I must say, after reading Tan's interview it's certainly a case of "Fuck you, I'm going to try and make as much money out of this venture as possible".

And this quote pretty much supports that.

I think the 20-25% who will not be happy are the die hard life long supporters. And I know of no business who wants that percentage of customers to be un-happy and not give a shit about it.
thing is, if he thinks he's going to make money out of Cardiff City, he's a fucking moron.

Back
Top Bottom