Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cardiff City RedBlueDragonBirds 2012-2013 season

I don't see how anyone can feel loyalty to a color.
There are a lot of things which you don't see or can't understand, it doesn't make them less valid. How many times do you need to be told that emotions aren't logical?

Associating a team with one or two colours is ingrained and it can change (with time, a minor colour could become a more major colour in the strip) but AFAIK drastic colour changes overnight, forced by a wallet-wielding outsider are seldom welcomed.

<snip>the players have even voted to play in red when they could theoretically play in blue away from home, its obvious that they prefer the red kit, the monkey free red kit.its not luck, but psychologically it obviously has an effect.
Okay then let the team play in red, if they really want to. Footballers tend to be a superstitious lot anyway. :rolleyes:

But there's no need to coerce actively encourage fans to swap the traditional colour for the imposed colour - they know which team they're following and supporting.

they know which team they're following and supporting.

Nail on head, we all know we support Cardiff City so what colour they play in doesnt matter.

Now thank god we can put all this silliness behind us and move on.

Nail on head, we all know we support Cardiff City so what colour they play in doesnt matter.

Sweetie, it matters to the footballers, they want to play in the colour which they believe broke their long run of "bad luck" and it matters to the fans, who want to use the scarves which some of them have had ever since they became aware of the local team. This aspect of football is closer to religion than sport and, until you grasp that, you won't understand why it matters so much.

I don't see how anyone can feel loyalty to a color.
To me it is not just the colour change; it is the new owner having zero respect for his customers (sorry 'the fans')

A logical reason for the change with a business case to go along with it might have been acceptable - but so far none has been presented. As far as i can see it has all been just (as Ed puts it) a whim.

If success was all i was interested in, I would have stopped watching City many years ago. I cannot tell you why I follow City, there is an illogical emotional attachment that cannot be put into words, an attachment that has developed over almost forty years travelling all over the country. This episode has tested that attachment to breaking point.

I am not angry. It was never my club, it was always a business owned by someone else, I always knew my loyalty and emotional attachment to the business was illogical, but it was fun. I still want Cardiff City to be successful but the loyalty and the emotional attachment are gone. Logic has taken over from the fun.

Whilst professional football is just a business, it is a business that relies on an illogical passion from its customers. Whilst I still have a season ticket, I no longer have any passion. It is now just watching 22 highly paid men kicking a bag of wind around for 90 minutes. There is a limit to how long I will continue to stump up hundreds of pounds a season for such a sterile experience.

It is only the hope that the passion will return that keeps me going at the moment. A bit like keeping going to see a favourite band that have gone off the boil in the hope that they might rediscover what it was that made them good in the early days.

Having people that disagree with this point of view throw insults around does not really improve the situation (not aimed at you Phil)

Great to see you dismissing the beliefs of lifelong Cardiff fans - many of whom have been far more committed to the club than you. Still, if it means MORE SUCCESS why not rename the club too?

You'd probably go along with that too, wouldn't you?

In fact, where would you draw the line? You've clearly no problem with an entire whimsical change of strip, new colours, a new heritage-free badge and a new tradition-untroubled strapline, so how about a new nickname seeing as the old one clearly makes no sense now? And what if Tan promises £300m if we change our name to the Cardiff Reds?

So Cardiff's recent success is nothing to do with the manager, money invested and players but a colour change makeover...fuck's sake.
Yes, that's right. It's all down to the Unexplained Yet Magical Powers Of The Red Shirt.

Moral-Code-Modern-Mystic_Humanity-Healing.jpg

To me it is not just the colour change; it is the new owner having zero respect for his customers (sorry 'the fans')

Not sure how old you are, but for much of the 1970s CCFC was owned by the likes of David Goldstone and Stefan Terlezki--and actually a lot worse than them too. How much respect for the fans did they have? Absolutely bugger-all, less than zero, they were completely and utterly devoid of respect in every way. They used to call us "animals."

If success was all i was interested in, I would have stopped watching City many years ago. I cannot tell you why I follow City, there is an illogical emotional attachment that cannot be put into words, an attachment that has developed over almost forty years travelling all over the country.

My first City game was Bill Irwin's debut, I must have seen City play 500 times, so I know what you mean. You're right, the whole thing is illogical.

I remember a conversation I had with my wife when we were going for promotion to division 1.... "if they get promoted, they'll have to play better teams... yes... so they'll lose more matches.... probably... but you're sad when they lose... so why do you want them to get promoted ..."

I couldn't fault her logic, but she was still wrong. I'm really happy that the team I've followed for over 40 years are finally having some success, it's clear to me that the change in shirt color has helped--what more evidence do you need--and that's good enough for me.

So Cardiff's success is all down to the colour of their shirt?
:facepalm:

It hasn't hurt has it?

If we'd lost the first 10 games we played in red, you'd have been the first to blame the change.

Give some credit where it's due. Tan told us we'd do better if we played in red. He wasn't wrong was he?

You've clearly no problem with an entire whimsical change of strip, new colours, a new heritage-free badge and a new tradition-untroubled strapline

First of all, it obviously wasn't "whimsical." Tan doesn't invest millions of quid on a whim. He knew what he was doing.

Secondly, what was so "traditional" and full of "heritage" about the old badge and "strapline?" They were redesigned for marketing purposes almost ever year anyway, just as they are at every club.

And come to think of it, so was the strip. We used to have a yellow line going down the side, did you protest against that too? We used to have stripey socks, was that a major problem for you? Where do you draw the line?

First of all, it obviously wasn't "whimsical." Tan doesn't invest millions of quid on a whim. He knew what he was doing.

Secondly, what was so "traditional" and full of "heritage" about the old badge and "strapline?" They were redesigned for marketing purposes almost ever year anyway, just as they are at every club.

And come to think of it, so was the strip. We used to have a yellow line going down the side, did you protest against that too? We used to have stripey socks, was that a major problem for you? Where do you draw the line?
It was whimsical because he introduced it on a whim and refused to explain why.

Clint Iguana the logical business case was that it would help us market the club to the Asian marketplace.

I have no figures on how well that's going but knowing our owners probably very well.

Clint Iguana the logical business case was that it would help us market the club to the Asian marketplace.

I have no figures on how well that's going but knowing our owners probably very well.

Why the fuck would any Asian kid watch Cardiff over any Premier League team? They all support the big European teams. I very much doubt any Chinese, Malay or Thai kids can name half the Prem after the top eight or so teams.

And the colour of the shirt has fuck all to do with this season's success. Has more to do with spending £10 million on an already top six team.

If you in the pro-red lobby you're a fucking mug.

heard earlier that loads of the free red scarves will be chucked on to the pitch next week

is that lucky or unlucky?

Why the fuck would any Asian kid watch Cardiff over any Premier League team? They all support the big European teams. I very much doubt any Chinese, Malay or Thai kids can name half the Prem after the top eight or so teams.

And the colour of the shirt has fuck all to do with this season's success. Has more to do with spending £10 million on an already top six team.

If you in the pro-red lobby you're a fucking mug.
Strangely enough there's been no announcement about soaring shirt sales in the Far East or Cardiff's surging popularity amongst the people who have probably never been to Cardiff and are unlikely to ever visit.

They'd be better off supporting their own local teams, if you ask me.

Great Western. Got trashed at lunchtime

Only assuming it's a spoons based on twitter btw. Might have that part wrong.

Sweetie, it matters to the footballers, they want to play in the colour which they believe broke their long run of "bad luck" and it matters to the fans, who want to use the scarves which some of them have had ever since they became aware of the local team. This aspect of football is closer to religion than sport and, until you grasp that, you won't understand why it matters so much.

Dont call me sweetie, by the way the players want to play in red so your argument is rather fucked!

Now i've read your post fully it seems that you are even accusing me of not having any understanding of the emotional context that sport can play in a man's life!

If that is waht ypu were trying to say you can fuck the right off. There is nothing more important in my life apart from my kid than sport.

Now i've read your post fully it seems that you are even accusing me of not having any understanding of the emotional context that sport can play in a man's life!

If that is waht ypu were trying to say you can fuck the right off. There is nothing more important in my life apart from my kid than sport.
You appear to have difficulty understanding what I say, even when posting in the same language. I give up.

Is that what you call logic? Manure, Liverpool, Arsenal etc sell lots of red shirts out there cos they are successful. Bristol City, Notts Forest and Leyton oreint dont cos they are not.

If that is the basis on which the future of Cardiff city is funded, we are all fucked.

EDIT - he cant even sell red shirts to the home fans and has to bribe them with free scarfs, never mind sell them in Asia.

Back
Top Bottom