Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cardiff City FC 2011/12 season thread

Boys I have a very, very bad feeling about this season. Very

No Jay, no Chops no Burkey

No boss and no impressive people being touted (I don't believe the Zola one will come off and in any case I would want him playing not bossing)

Off to see Glammy tonight at the Oval and out my window I can see the blackest cloud over south London that I have ever seen.

Pretty much sums up my feelings about the season.

Jonesy must be pretty fucking annoyed, to be honest, And he's best off out of it

We are clearing the decks for a new captain. Ditching a load of high salaries so the new gaffer isn't hamstrung by an existing budget.

That's the positive spin.

The negative is that this may be a building year rather than a challenging year as a we won't get everything perfect from day one.

And all the time we're "building" we'll be hearing about fucking Swansea in the Premiership.

It's going to be a rough ol' season folks, but I'l be there. With my little pick and shovel etc.

Hearing about the Swans' golden days of getting hammered constantly and fighting relegation all season long... if we are lucky.

I predict that mid way through next season we'll be looking back at the glory days of the Jones reign and wondering why the fuck we sacked him.

Let's not go through all that again - six seasons to get us promoted and he couldn't manage it - time to move on.

Let's reserve judgement on next season until we get a new manager and we start bringing players in to flesh out our denuded squad. Haven't even announced the fixtures yet - bit early to write off next season.

The Bonfire of the Loanees always meant that this season was going to involve a significant rebuild, and the loss of Bothroyd, Burke and Chopra is no real shock. Of those three, Jay will be the biggest loss - Chris Burke is a game lad with ability but way too inconsistent - not too worried about him going, and Chops' lack of form fitness, roly-poly physique, huge wages and alleged off-field problems add up to a very good deal for Cardiff City.

We need to announce a new manager sharp-ish and furnish Roberto with enough cash to bring in a few quality players before they are all snapped up by every other bugger!

Onwards and upwards.

Let's not go through all that again - six seasons to get us promoted and he couldn't manage it - time to move on.
Yeah! What did he achieve?!

Oh, hang on - it adds up to the highest performing, most consistent performances from any City side for fucking decades.

Let's reserve judgement on next season until we get a new manager and we start bringing players in to flesh out our denuded squad. Haven't even announced the fixtures yet - bit early to write off next season.

Fixtures may not have been announced, but I have a hunch I know who we'll be playing home and away between August and May usually on a saturday, but sometimes on a sunday, monday or tuesday,maybe wevn a wednesday!

Yeah! What did he achieve?!

Oh, hang on - it adds up to the highest performing, most consistent performances from any City side for fucking decades.

Oh FFS, the man's gone, get over it and stop blubbing man!

Yes we had a good few seasons with Dave Jones.

And yes, he did preside over 3 consecutive end-of-season chokes/collapses, the last one "achieved" using the best group of players assembled in a Cardiff City shirt for decades - arguably the best team 'on paper' in the league.

Did he achieve promotion?
NO

Was that his remit?
YES

Did he fail ?
YES

Should he have been sacked?
YES

I ask again because you swerved it last time, just how many seasons would you have given him? He had SIX - 7, 10, 15, 20???

How many end-of-season press conferences could you have withstood with DJ proclaiming blandly "we'll just have to pick ourselves up, dust ourselves down and go again"?

We need a manager who can inspire and motivate the players to get over the penultimate hurdle and cross the finishing line, not collapse in a heap with the end in sight (consistently).

Dave Jones is/was not that man. The Malaysians were extraordinarily patient in keeping him on after the Blackpool fail - this season's collapse was shameful and embarrassing, and he simply had to go.

Time to get behind the board, the new manager (whoever that may be) and look FORWARDS!

Yes we had a good few seasons with Dave Jones.!
Actually, we had the best run of seasons in living memory and he was a major factor in getting so many good players to the club.

I await with keen interest the announcement of this uber-manager who can 100% guarantee promotion, no question, it's in the bag.

Oh, and I would have given him at least another season. If the players hadn't gone on a bender before the Middlesborough game we may have gained promotion. But don't tell me - that was Jones' was fault too as he should have tucked them up in bed himself etc etc

Actually, we had the best run of seasons in living memory and he was a major factor in getting so many good players to the club.

I await with keen interest the announcement of this uber-manager who can 100% guarantee promotion, no question, it's in the bag.

Oh, and I would have given him at least another season. If the players hadn't gone on a bender before the Middlesborough game we may have gained promotion. But don't tell me - that was Jones' was fault too as he should have tucked them up in bed himself etc etc

The fact that some of the players did go on the piss before the biggest game of the season (at that time) is indicative of a total lack of respect for the manager, and seems to suggest a disciplinary slackness which ultimately points back to the managerial set-up.

Of course, no new manager can guarantee promotion, but "one more season" was becoming as much of a Dave Jones mantra as the "dust yourself down" bollocks...

Roberto's coming :)

(and Earnie!)

And then there was one...

All but one of my Prague-bought Bluebird Russian dolls have now left the building:

5820448517_ef29f0079a_z.jpg

Farewell Chops, you could have been a Cardiff City legend, had it not been for the (alleged) pies, pints and bookies...

5821013846_f18bd5e1f0_z.jpg

Pauld, I agree with every single thing you've said

:cool:

Ed is in a win win situation. New manager comes in and bombs ed 'I told you so so'

new manager comes in and we get promoted ed is over the moon and admits he was wrong.

Holloway btw is being backed with PaddyPower.

Now 5/2

And all the time we're "building" we'll be hearing about fucking Swansea in the Premiership.

It's going to be a rough ol' season folks, but I'l be there. With my little pick and shovel etc.

Watched 'week in week out' this week. Seems like Swansea Council are a little bit annoyed about the fact that they have not seen a penny rent for their stadium since it was built. The deal was that they would have to pay 30% of all stadium profits back to the council in rent - and as they have consistently made a loss, there has been no rent. Council also had to write off a £2million loan.

If they dont start paying rent soon, there might be premiership football on the beach!!

While i am talking jacks on a Cardiff thread - I have been talking to a few union colleagues who are followers of premiership teams. they are looking forward to nights out in cardiff on way home from Swansea. I suggested a night out in jack land and they laughed - looks like it might not be QUITE the boost to the local economy they thought.

That's it, i aint going to talk about them any more.

I am just praying that there is a plan - not just dumping Jones without a replacement lined up. Malaysians in town this weekend, an announcement in the next few days methinks

I am just praying that there is a plan - not just dumping Jones without a replacement lined up. Malaysians in town this weekend, an announcement in the next few days methinks

Pauld, I agree with every single thing you've said

:cool:

Ed is in a win win situation. New manager comes in and bombs ed 'I told you so so'

new manager comes in and we get promoted ed is over the moon and admits he was wrong.

Holloway btw is being backed with PaddyPower.

Now 5/2

Roberto di Matteo is my favoured option, but Holloway, as unlikely as it seems, I'd take that....

Roberto di Matteo is my favoured option, but Holloway, as unlikely as it seems, I'd take that....
Really? If Bothroyd hadn't hobbled off injured in the play off final, he could have been a nearly man just like Jones too.

Here's the managerial stats for Jones vs Holloway. Jones has more wins and more goals by miles.

Attachments

• del.jpg
    del.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 2
  • del1.jpg
    del1.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 1
Here's the managerial stats for Jones vs Holloway. Jones has more wins and more goals by miles.

The only stat that matters re Holloway/Jones:

Blackpool 3 Cardiff 2

Motivator.

(PS Not sure if you've noticed, but Dave Jones has been sacked...)

but ollie's results have been achieved on far smaller budgets and on much smaller expectations (leicester aside). a 3.5% difference in wins isn't too bad, particularly considering that includes a premier league relegation season for ollie.

On that latter point, the 38 game season just gone for Ollie (and its number of defeats) hardly statistically dents a career containing nigh on 700 games.

I like Ollie (largely as a nod to Bristol Rovers mates of mine who don't spend their time calling Cardiff cunts to my face) but I find his media persona a bit tedious (the getting a girl in a taxi-type stuff), in a similar way that I find Redknapp's cheeky chappy tedious patter very very annoying. Redknapp is a total scumbag though, unlike Ollie

As you were.

On that latter point, the 38 game season just gone for Ollie (and its number of defeats) hardly statistically dents a career containing nigh on 700 games.

I like Ollie (largely as a nod to Bristol Rovers mates of mine who don't spend their time calling Cardiff cunts to my face) but I find his media persona a bit tedious (the getting a girl in a taxi-type stuff), in a similar way that I find Redknapp's cheeky chappy tedious patter very very annoying. Redknapp is a total scumbag though, unlike Ollie

As you were.

fair point about the ollie stat.

i'm sorry about the whole calling cardiff cunts thing. i genuinely don't mean anything personal, but if it seems like i go too far sometimes then i apologise. of course i don't really think all of cardiff fans are cunts and i've had plenty of good times drinking with your lot and would happily have a pint and a chat with all of you on here. i only come out with most of my anti-cardiff stuff as a bit of a wind-up because i know you guys react, but i generally don't think you're any worse than swansea, swindon, city, yeovil, saints, doncaster or any of the other teams i might call cunts because they've pissed me off in some small way. i'm happy for anyone to call rovers a bunch of cunts (we do have a lot of them following/running us anyway) and i won't take it personally.

anyway, sorry. just a bit of banter (i hate that word, but ya know).

And if Bothroyd hadn't hobbled off you'd probably be singing a completely different song.

Ifs, ands, buts, maybes, he did, we lost (no Plan B again).

Not a big fan of Ollie's carrot-crunching Forrest Gumpisms, but he does appear to be a manager who can motivate his players to success, unlike you know who.

Malky Mackay now apparently in the frame....

fair point about the ollie stat.

i'm sorry about the whole calling cardiff cunts thing. i genuinely don't mean anything personal, but if it seems like i go too far sometimes then i apologise. of course i don't really think all of cardiff fans are cunts and i've had plenty of good times drinking with your lot and would happily have a pint and a chat with all of you on here. i only come out with most of my anti-cardiff stuff as a bit of a wind-up because i know you guys react, but i generally don't think you're any worse than swansea, swindon, city, yeovil, saints, doncaster or any of the other teams i might call cunts because they've pissed me off in some small way. i'm happy for anyone to call rovers a bunch of cunts (we do have a lot of them following/running us anyway) and i won't take it personally.

anyway, sorry. just a bit of banter (i hate that word, but ya know).

"Because I know you guys react"

"Yeah, sorry I called you, your club and your mates cunts, I've had loads of good times with you personally and a lot of your good friends and I know full well that if I was in a pub with you and some Cardiff fans came in and started on me that you would defend me, not them. That knowledge is reassuring but despite that I still call you cunts because you react.

To make it better though you can call me, or Rovers, cunts if you like"

Er, no thanks. Some of my mates, also mates of yours, are Gas. If I thought they or their football club were cunts they wouldn't be my fucking mates.

If you really think we are cunts don't bother posting on our thread. Actually we are a similarly shit working-class football club who have never done fuck all in our lifetimes to yours.

Ifs, ands, buts, maybes, he did, we lost (no Plan B again).

Not a big fan of Ollie's carrot-crunching Forrest Gumpisms, but he does appear to be a manager who can motivate his players to success, unlike you know who.
How do you 'motivate' your star player out of an injury that stops him playing a game he dearly wants to play in?

"Because I know you guys react"

"Yeah, sorry I called you, your club and your mates cunts, I've had loads of good times with you personally and a lot of your good friends and I know full well that if I was in a pub with you and some Cardiff fans came in and started on me that you would defend me, not them. That knowledge is reassuring but despite that I still call you cunts because you react.

To make it better though you can call me, or Rovers, cunts if you like"

Er, no thanks. Some of my mates, also mates of yours, are Gas. If I thought they or their football club were cunts they wouldn't be my fucking mates.

If you really think we are cunts don't bother posting on our thread. Actually we are a similarly shit working-class football club who have never done fuck all in our lifetimes to yours.

and if i really thought you were all cunts, i wouldn't be friends with any of you either. as it is, it's just wind ups and banter on a message board. don't take it so seriously.

do you complain when people on this thread call swansea 'those back bastards' too? like i said, sorry if you take it personally, but i thought it was taken as read that stuff said between football fans on a message board should be taken with a pinch of salt.

eh?

i've just heard some cardiff fans refer to swansea as 'those jack bastards'. i assumed this was just standard football banter, rather than an actual belief that swansea fans are all bastards.

Back
Top Bottom