Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cardiff City close season news and rumours: rebranding of the stadium, strip change

Would Cardiff fans still have a problem with the £100m investment if it weren't for the kit and badge change ?
Would you have a problem with that sum of money being invested in your club?

I've already made my position clear on this - I hate the way that status-seeking foreign investors are playing a bigger and bigger part in the destiny of clubs (not that £100m is even that much by today's standards), but what people like me think has become increasingly irrelevant to the club.

So it doesn't matter what I think: "my" club will do whatever the fuck it likes.

Spot on:
ans of all clubs relish the things that make them them. From the famous example of You’ll Never Walk Alone to Cardiff City’s own ayatollah, supporters from every club will know their own little rituals and traditions and cling to them. And this is what makes the proposed changes so hard to stomach. Out of context, a team playing in one colour rather than another and swapping a small image of one animal for a different one are not seismic changes. But that would not be us. We are the Bluebirds. We play in blue. That is a vital part of who we are.

Some fans will happily put up with almost anything in the hope of achieving Premier League football, particularly after recent years’ disappointments and they are entitled to their opinion. But I am not one of them. If Premier League football is the be all and end all, I would simply support a Premier League team. But I don’t. I support Cardiff City. And Cardiff City play in blue.

A century’s history may not matter to some, but it matters to me. It is all part of the club’s identity and therefore it is all part of the identity I find in following the club. Cardiff City are threatening to sell their history, sell their soul, sell their identity, all in the hope of a little extra money and perhaps promotion to a higher league. I for one would rather see us relegated in blue than victorious in red, because without our identity, who are we?

It's the fact the new generation of football club owners have absolutely no respect seemingly for the history and traditions of clubs, or for the fans. Treating football clubs like any other packaged product/commodity should be resisted as strongly as possible imo.

The corporate re-branding of, and moving of, stadiums can be controversial enough but a lot of fans will accept it over time if it means better facilities, increased capacity, etc. (though I'm not keen at all tbh of the Hammers moving away from Upton Park). Making significant changes to names, their associated colours and emblems truly takes the piss though.

It's pretty shit that they didn't even consult the supporters in any way before steaming ahead with these plans. But without the money that he's already pumped into the club you may not even have a team to support.

I can't even work out what we're supposed to be called after this.

We can't be the Bluebirds because we'll be playing in red with a red dragon on the badge.

I can't even work out what we're supposed to be called after this.

We can't be the Bluebirds because we'll be playing in red with a red dragon on the badge.
I think that's the answer, isn't it?

e2a: not being facetious, think it was mentioned earlier on in the thread.

Better to be known as the Red Dragons than the Blue Bottles I spose ;)
Least we didn't bottle the semi finals of the Carling Cup. Or any of the other games your lot bottled time after time, while we actually managed to get to the big Wembley games, year after year.

Can you give it a rest now, please?

Noone will support Cardiff just because they are red and have a dragon on their badge, the red thing is total rubbish, you see much more Internazionale and Real Madrid shirts than Arsenal or Liverpool in China, I think it's the winning the major competitions that sells clubs globally rather than the colour and 100m isn't going to get you anywhere near the Champions League

Noone will support Cardiff just because they are red and have a dragon on their badge, the red thing is total rubbish, you see much more Internazionale and Real Madrid shirts than Arsenal or Liverpool in China, I think it's the winning the major competitions that sells clubs globally rather than the colour and 100m isn't going to get you anywhere near the Champions League
Indeed.

We're selling our soul for - at best - mid table Premiership mediocrity.

Evolving a badge as say Leeds, Arsenal and Spurs did is one thing. But they kept many of the original elements - here were talking about the club's emblem completely going.

Deeply disturbing, moreso in that it seems the kit and badge happens regardless of any actual investment. Dark days.

I hope the fans can make their owners see this is a massive, massive mistake

http://theseventytwo.com/football-l...cardiff-city-prepare-to-cash-in-and-sell-out/

Thanks for the support. Our owners do not give a fuck what we think or say.

Their statement is so full of management speak it's hard to understand exactly what the benefit to the football club actually is. So there may not be any money for new facilities or players but the stadium name could change (sadly the norm but in the grand scheme of things palatable), the badge will change and the kit will be red.

And all done with no consultation with the fan groups/bodies. Which suggests one of three things: 1) they knew precisely what the reaction would be, 2) they knew but don't care or 3) they're so far removed from the game they have no idea what they're doing and no idea what makes the club special to its fans and the community it is a part of.

It's the latest twist in the general killing of the game where clubs a simply a business investment and debt vehicle with the hope of selling it off for a future profit.

Their statement is so full of management speak it's hard to understand exactly what the benefit to the football club actually is.

I assume to appeal to the Chinese market? Red being the luckiest colour etc.. presumably they've done a bit of research on this. The two biggest clubs in Asia are red (liverpool and united) so it kinda makes sense from that PoV... but presumably they havent done quite as much market research in cardiff than they have in shanghai :D

cant see it happenin tho.

Maybe they figured the takeover (is that what it is? or is it just a chunky investment?) would be cause consternation so they concocted this story - they'll retract the strip / badge change and keep the takeover / investment. A Jazzzian false flag.

I assume to appeal to the Chinese market? Red being the luckiest colour etc.. presumably they've done a bit of research on this. The two biggest clubs in Asia are red (liverpool and united) so it kinda makes sense from that PoV... but presumably they havent done quite as much market research in cardiff than they have in shanghai :D

cant see it happenin tho.

I dunno, if you look on the Cardiff City message boards the fans seem to be split, with plenty supporting the change. :confused:

http://www.ccmb.co.uk/fudforum/index.php?t=msg&th=320577&start=0&rid=0

I dunno, if you look on the Cardiff City message boards the fans seem to be split, with plenty supporting the change. :confused:

http://www.ccmb.co.uk/fudforum/index.php?t=msg&th=320577&start=0&rid=0
Yes some people are supporting it because they have bought the lie that it is this, or oblivion. They have fallen for the "we get £100m" bullshit (whatever money for strengthening will be loans (with interest) anyway not a gift FFS

Gabi as is stands it's happening and it's not for negotiation it's a done deal. No consultation held, or planned.

I'd rather be non-league than this

The Welsh Assembly have got involved.
Cardiff AM's are calling for Vincent Tan to rethink his ideas on turning Cardiff City red.

Cardiff’s Labour Assembly Members Vaughan Gething, Mark Drakeford, Julie Morgan and Jenny Rathbone said:

“We call on Vincent Tan to actively engage with the club’s fan base and consult on these plans before destroying more than 100 years of history and tradition.

“To strip away the club’s identity without proper consultation is an insult to thousands of loyal supporters who follow their beloved Bluebirds around the country week in week out.

“Cardiff City Football Club is the lifeblood of the local community and the fans deserve a say over its future. We intend to work closely with supporters’ representatives, including the Cardiff City Supporters’ Trust and Cardiff City Supporters’ Club, to make sure fans have a voice on this matter.

“We all want to see a successful Cardiff City Football Club on and off the pitch but we cannot stand back and let such a radical proposal go through without the fans’ blessing.

http://www.cardiffcity-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/assembly_members_urge_red_rethink_743854/index.shtml

This is all very reminiscent of the Icelandic fiasco at West Ham. Kind of brings home that supporting a club doesn't give you any say over how it is run. There's a dissonance between how they see you (a customer) and how you see them (an identity, history, community etc.)

What does Malky think? I was reading his post-match comments today about how well he gets on with the chairman.

I still think it's going to be an elaborate wind up though.

Back
Top Bottom