Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cardiff chitter-chatter, news and more

ouch! see short video
stupid cyclist :(
This is the horrifying moment a cyclist hits a car
had to wait 35 mins for an ambulance too! :eek: and they're only up the road!

It's literally the next right turn to the ambo station... And ironically the cycle path.

Looks like a suicide attempt to me. You can't see traffic coming from your left so just cycling straight out like that is asking to be hit.
Instead he got hit from the right where the traffic splits and so you can't judge which way the car may be going. Hence the pedestrian crossing.
No helmet.
No hi-vis.

It's incidents like these that make me think a cycling licence is overdue.

Don't be daft, suicide attempt ffs :facepalm:
It was pure stupidity/arrogance/not looking/chancing it

How would a bike licence help stop this?

Don't be daft, suicide attempt ffs :facepalm:
It was pure stupidity/arrogance/not looking/chancing it

How would a bike licence help stop this?
Might encourage adherence to the Highway Code basics such as stopping at red lights.

Plus a knowledge of how and why cars behave according to the code will allow cyclists to minimise risks to themselves.

I feel its madness that someone is allowed to fling themselves about on the roads without being required to know what a stop sign / junction looks like / means. The belief that the Highway Code only applies to motor vehicles and that traffic signs, lights etc. don't apply to them.

And a helmet wouldn't be much use in that accident
I don't wear one when cycling

The head trauma from hitting the road would be one less injury for them to deal with from that accident. You really think that's not an advantage despite the fact the initial impact was to his body?

He was flung 6 feet in the air. In this instance he landed on his side. It was only luck that he didn't come down head first, tails first whatever.

There is a whole thread someplace about the cycling thing which I chose not to get involved in however I am both a cyclist and a car driver and when I'm on my bike I will ride through red lights, but only certain ones. There are junctions in Cardiff much the same as any city/town where to ride through a red light would be suicide. So this admittedly illegal action requires local knowledge of how the lights operate in your area and also a finely developed sense of self-preservation - both of which I have. I also don't wear a helmet/high-vis but do have good lights so I guess it's a massive fail for me eh? :D

There is a whole thread someplace about the cycling thing which I chose not to get involved in however I am both a cyclist and a car driver and when I'm on my bike I will ride through red lights, but only certain ones. There are junctions in Cardiff much the same as any city/town where to ride through a red light would be suicide. So this admittedly illegal action requires local knowledge of how the lights operate in your area and also a finely developed sense of self-preservation - both of which I have. I also don't wear a helmet/high-vis but do have good lights so I guess it's a massive fail for me eh? :D

Traffic planners put light on some junctions and not others for a reason. You think you know better than them and can pick and choose which red lights are good and bad?
As a car driver you should know how visible a couple of tiny bike lamps make cyclists at night. Not a great difference. I'd rather have hi-vis and no lights than lights and no hi-vis.

I find modern led's (which I own) to be perfectly visible whilst driving thanks. I am claiming good local knowledge of how the lights operate not something that traffic planners would be expected or required to take into consideration (seeing as how they designed the traffic flow). Moreover I have absolutely no wish to put mine or anyone else's life in danger.

Last edited:
It's my turn to go maternal on the thread. For crying out loud people, wear cycle helmets. I worked for several years on a brain injury rehabilitation unit and two things were striking... the utter banality of the accidents and the two groups most over represented, street drinkers and cyclists. Take care!

Might encourage adherence to the Highway Code basics such as stopping at red lights.

Plus a knowledge of how and why cars behave according to the code will allow cyclists to minimise risks to themselves.

I feel its madness that someone is allowed to fling themselves about on the roads without being required to know what a stop sign / junction looks like / means. The belief that the Highway Code only applies to motor vehicles and that traffic signs, lights etc. don't apply to them.
and that car was prob doing way over the speed limit so not adhering to the highway code
yes to bike safety/awareness but no to bike licence

I got driven into this morning while waiting to move off in high vis with lights on at gone 10am
the twat was on his mobile and did not apologise

and that car was prob doing way over the speed limit so not adhering to the highway code
yes to bike safety/awareness but no to bike licence

I got driven into this morning while waiting to move off in high vis with lights on at gone 10am
the twat was on his mobile and did not apologise

Just had another look. That car was doing about 25mph at the time of impact in my opinion.
Definitely didn't look like it was speeding.

Parked up in Llandaff tonight. :)

12311287_10207856612836175_5159137132065090104_n.jpg
12299317_10207856612316162_1178084617923830184_n.jpg

#22 - I used to camp on the Wenallt when I was a kid :)

With scouts? I got my tracking badge from messing about in those woods.

Great view of the City near to the tiny quarry. You can see all the way to Penarth marina.

There is a seedier side though. Doggers use the Car Park at night.

2 protestors found not guilty last week after police lies thrown out of court
they were on remand in Cardiff nick ffs and one was in again over xmas due to bail fuckup
thugs
Exclusive: See Shocking Footage of British Police Officers Attacking Peaceful Protesters | VICE | United Kingdom
All of this is in contradiction to how officers described the event, which they said had made them afraid for their lives. The police made unsubstantiated accusations about the two defendants, saying they had sworn and behaved violently towards members of the force. They even went as far as to claim one of the officers sustained an injury to his hand, a claim that was thrown out early in the trial.

video from other side

Asylum seekers made to wear coloured wristbands in Cardiff
Asylum seekers made to wear coloured wristbands in Cardiff

Newly arrived asylum seekers in the Welsh capital who are housed by Clearsprings Ready Homes, a private firm contracted by the Home Office, are being told that they must wear the wristbands all the time otherwise they will not be fed. The wristbands entitle the asylum seekers, who cannot work and are not given money, to three meals a day.

I've heard that this is going to stop now, shame it took a front page headline for the bastards to do it. Harder to stop is the general awfulness of the way the company treats people and apparently the abuse anyone looking 'foreign' in the vicinity of that building regularly gets apparently. :mad::(

the fucking comments on the Walesonline fb page are full of idiots comparing it to an all inclusive holiday and "if they don't like it go back" etc :mad:

Back
Top Bottom