Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Canterbury Arms, Brixton to be turned into flats - planning application

This palatial building has all the charm of a multi-storey car park.
And a complete change to the original proposal - not that I expect the finished thing will look anything like these sunny, clutter-free "imaginings."

Canterbury-Crescent-shop%20front.jpg

"Unit partner Ross Hutchinson said Lambeth Council's, approval for the development would kick-start the regeneration of the neighbourhood." [--]

What's left to be regenerated there?

Really felt like a few pints with the usual Friday evening crowd in The Canterbury this evening.

And no Patrick's Day piss up on Thursday week in there either. :(

I don't think it's particularly great really but it's good to take the position when half the posts are illogical and emotive. Pictures of rubble and a lament

I don't think it's particularly great really but it's good to take the position when half the posts are illogical and emotive. Pictures of rubble and a lament

Yes, it's illogical for people to feel strong emotions over the loss of venue that many people cared about, that some of us here had a direct involvement with, and knew the family who were displaced from their home of 20+ years, and the customers that were a genuinely tight knit group of friends and relations who used that pub as a place to come together and share all sorts of occassions.

What an illogical twat I am to feel sad and want to lament.

I should just be a contrary cunt and just pop to the beehive and forget all about the Canterbury....there are other pubs afterall...ffs

No Canterbury for Paddys Day tomorrow. I've had some of he best laughs ever in there on that day every year. It used to be so good we made a special trip back twice when we lived in Amsterdam.

Fucking tore the heart out that little community knocking down that pub.

I have heard that the Council will own the Canterbury Arms site. It's doing a land swap with the developer.

I've just read through this.

My understanding is that Lambeth are proposing to 'swap' some land with the developer. The result would be that Pope's Road would be widened, and the development would move back to take in the traders' car park located behind instead. The car park would be rebuilt under the flats. It looks like it would still be built by the private developer, not Lambeth.

As a result they will probably be able to build significantly more flats, in part because in planning terms it would allow a taller building as it would be set back from the road. So we should expect another planning application.

Lambeth would get a share of the additional value created from the development, plus it would probably benefit their future plans for the POP Brixton and International House sites. It will also lead to more homes, presumably some 'affordable'.

(Trying to present this in as neutral a way as possible, understanding most people would prefer this development not to be taking place at all).

In idiot terms what exactly has occured here?

I looked at the docs on the link that Tricky Skills posted up.

The developers who owns the old Canterbury Arms site has planning permission to build flats on that site.

The Council own land surrounding that site. (Pop and to the east of developers site).

Its a bit more complicated than a land swap.

Land swaps can make sense to put together a piece of land to have a single coherent site. Its like me swapping something with someone else - we both end up equal but have something more useful after the swap.

This however is a bit more complicated.

The Council is also doing a deal with May Developments ( the owners of Canterbury site) to so that May Developments become the lead developer of the combined site.

The swap would mean that land next to Popes road owned by May Developments would go to Lambeth to become part of the (proposed) widening of Popes Road. May would get land to the east which is owned by the Council.

I get a bit lost of financial stuff but it looks like the Council will have some kind of profit share with May Developments on sale of private homes that May builds on what was Council land plus part of its original land. As well as selling the land on a lease in a complicated ( to me) deal which the officers are confident will produce a good value for Council.

So its not just a land swap. Its the Council working up proposals with a developer for this important site in Brixton Central area.

Of course this all depends on a new planning application for the combined site which May Developments will put in being agreed. So to answer clandestino question- if Council and May have there way flats will be built- private ones for sale. No mention of affordable housing in the docs.

May Developments as lead developer for the site will take the risk and apply for planning permission.

From the docs looks to me that May Developments and senior officers have been working up plans and discussing this for some time.

Its a good deal for May Developments. They get there hands on more land and Council support.

The map showing what land is swapped and officers report here

There are issues here. I attended the consultation on the Brixton Central Masterplan some time ago. It ground to a halt with Network Rail unilaterally deciding to "refurbish" the arches.

However even the officers report says the consultation is not finished. The officers imo are jumping the gun here. Assuming the next round of consultations with the community will support this land swap. When in fact community will be presented with it as a fait accompli. The officers report (5.3) says as much.

The officers report also says

A key risk for the council is the loss of development control by granting a long-lease of
the site to May Developments. However, the planning process will ensure appropriate
development is brought forward.

Yes well that is big a risk I would say.

Gramsci and I crossed over with our posts but I think our understanding from the documents is the same...

It's all a bit early to see the implications, but I do imagine it could be a much bigger development.

I looked at the docs on the link that Tricky Skills posted up.

The developers who owns the old Canterbury Arms site has planning permission to build flats on that site.

The Council own land surrounding that site. (Pop and to the east of developers site).

Its a bit more complicated than a land swap.

Land swaps can make sense to put together a piece of land to have a single coherent site. Its like me swapping something with someone else - we both end up equal but have something more useful after the swap.

This however is a bit more complicated.

The Council is also doing a deal with May Developments ( the owners of Canterbury site) to so that May Developments become the lead developer of the combined site.

The swap would mean that land next to Popes road owned by May Developments would go to Lambeth to become part of the (proposed) widening of Popes Road. May would get land to the east which is owned by the Council.

I get a bit lost of financial stuff but it looks like the Council will have some kind of profit share with May Developments on sale of private homes that May builds on what was Council land plus part of its original land. As well as selling the land on a lease in a complicated ( to me) deal which the officers are confident will produce a good value for Council.

So its not just a land swap. Its the Council working up proposals with a developer for this important site in Brixton Central area.

Of course this all depends on a new planning application for the combined site which May Developments will put in being agreed. So to answer clandestino question- if Council and May have there way flats will be built- private ones for sale. No mention of affordable housing in the docs.

May Developments as lead developer for the site will take the risk and apply for planning permission.

From the docs looks to me that May Developments and senior officers have been working up plans and discussing this for some time.

Its a good deal for May Developments. They get there hands on more land and Council support.

The map showing what land is swapped and officers report here

There are issues here. I attended the consultation on the Brixton Central Masterplan some time ago. It ground to a halt with Network Rail unilaterally deciding to "refurbish" the arches.

However even the officers report says the consultation is not finished. The officers imo are jumping the gun here. Assuming the next round of consultations with the community will support this land swap. When in fact community will be presented with it as a fait accompli. The officers report (5.3) says as much.

The officers report also says

Yes well that is big a risk I would say.
I can barely think for all the alarm bells ringing in my head. I have zero trust in Lambeth's motives or abilities to deliver anything other than the usual luxury apartment-fest.

I do wish the Council would take consultation more seriously. This is important site and the Council officers are ploughing ahead with appointing lead developers, deciding on widening road and disposing of Council owned land for private development.

Its all being decided with little consultation. And this Council is big on doing "Co-production".

One bit of report concerns me as well.

The resulting more "uniform" parcel of land after the swap (2.4) is considered good by officers as it will lead to,

A larger and more rationalised commercial unit at ground floor

ie more profitable for developer.

Is this what is really wanted? No consultation has been done. Larger unit implies a big chain rather than keeping smaller shops in the market area.

I can barely think for al the alarm bells ringing in my head. I have zero trust in Lambeth's motives or abilities to deliver anything other than the usual luxury apartment-fest.

I agree. As usual the officers report is over optimistic.

If I was May Developments I would celebrating.

Back
Top Bottom